Volumio rescans music library everytime on reboot

I have recently istalled Volumio in a rusberyPi and takes a life to scan my music library (almost 3 TB). Actually it never ends.
Sometimes I wonder the same, if it rescans everytime I reboot.

Any suggestion before I quit.

I have the same problem. Volumio rescan the entire collection when it start.
My configuration is:

• Tinkerboard S
  • Volumio 2.587
  • 2 USB disks with ext4 fs

I am ā€œgladā€ to see that I am not the only one having this problemā€¦
My thread before I find this one : hard-drive-startup-scan-problem-t12673.html

Do you think this problem happened recently (something introduced by a recent update) or has it always been there ?

I currently use the 2.587 version, Iā€™m not sure but I believe that even with previous versions the problem occurred, I think at least two or three previous versions.

So this might be something introduced by a quite recent update.
What surprises me a bit is that having a hard drive directly linked to a Raspberry is not that unusual, so we should be dozens to have this kind of problemā€¦

Just found that, might be of any help : volumio2-beta-indexing-music-library-fail-t3943.html

Youā€™re right, we shouldnā€™t be alone ā€¦ I will take a look at the link you gave me

I tried to read the logs but I did not find anything unusualā€¦

I read that post but in it the problems are others. In my case i think that the unwanted rescan depends on a sort of occasional incompatibility with my USB DAC. In fact this while it plays randomly goes into a ā€œLOCKā€ mode and I am forced to detach the usb cable.
I really donā€™t know what to do ā€¦

It would be great if an admin could stop by and advice us on what to do, which command line results to post here to have some help, this kind of thing. I am completely lost and terribly sad that my Volumio device does not work as expected. :frowning:

I just a did a fresh install with latest version (V2.599) and everything is still the same : after the first boot, my USB drive is completely scanned and everything seems to work correctly, but after a reboot, indexing is lost. I have to start manually a new scan (or switch off the HD) to be able to listen to anything (webradio or a file on the HD)ā€¦
Very disappointedā€¦ :frowning:

When a scan is completed, I suppose a file is created somewhere (on the HD or on the SD card ?) with the list and path of all the files. Could it only be a ā€œwrite protect/access rightsā€ problem ?

I think that my problem is solved. Almost certainly there was a hardware problem: I changed the Tinkerboard S power cables and the system is now extremely stable, no unwanted rescan, no startup problem ecc.
The Tinkerboard is very sensitive to voltage and probably this is what caused the problems.
At moment in my music player I use Volumio 2.598 from 26 July without any problem, I am very satisfied! :smiley:

I am happy for you !

I use a Rasptouch by Audiophonics (a Raspberry 3 with a DAC, powered by a special power supply board). I donā€™t think my problem comes from a bad power supply.

Hi! Any solution on this topic? I have the same behavior. Media scan is completed, but when i reboot, nothing in library, i need to resacan each time. HDDā€™s are NTFS and i do not remove them, so they are there when volumio boots up.

Same issue here. Frustrating when one has a large music library. Re-scan takes a very long time.

1 Like

Hi,
Iā€™ve found a solution for this topic.
In /etc/mpd.conf is a value named: auto_update ā€œyesā€
I changed it with ā€œsudo nano /etc/mpd.confā€ to no. But everytime you change something in your Playback settings, this otption is overwritten. And by the way: Often a change in the mpd.conf has resulted in a situattion where Playback was not possible anymoreā€¦

And here is the best solution:
In the Volumio folder is a template for the mpd.conf: /volumio/app/plugins/music_service/mpd/mpd.conf.tmpl
You can change the value ā€œautoupdateā€ to ā€œnoā€ in this file, this will ensure that the setting is persistent in the mpd.conf
After you changed the value there (sudo nano /volumio/app/plugins/music_service/mpd/mpd.conf.tmpl) you need to go to WebUI, Settings, Playback, change your playback device and save. The ā€œsaveā€ process pushes the new mpd.conf with the right valueā€¦

Greetings :wink:

1 Like

Hi, is this still the only way to resolve the rescan on reboot problem?

1 Like