Project with PeppyMeter Screensaver Plugin for VOLUMIO v2.9xx and 3.0xx buster

Hi 2aCD,
The albumart from local drive is working now, thank you!

Is it possible to show albumart from Web Radio / Spotify / Tidal ? I checked the playinfo when I play the straming music (ex. Linn Jazz):

[playinfo]
Title = “Linn Jazz”
Album = undefined
Artist = “”
Albumart = /data/albumart/folder/mntined/extralarge.jpeg

The problem is the same as previous, no folder (name) /mntined/, the folder tree stops on /data/albumart/folder/.
Have been also tried Spotify and Tidal, the same result.

Thank you with best regards,
KMF

I’m glad to here this. I’m working at time on a better way to get the albumart also for online services. But spend me a little time for this. :wink:

2 Likes

Pretty soon i guess we’ll have great news from this amazing work!
And also some integration for new implementations with Volumio Buster and the new buster plugins.

Looking forward! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello ,

I want to buy and LCD display , 15.6 or 13.3. What resolution do you recommend to have or it does not matter ?
thanks

1 Like

@lintbf the size is normaly a personal choice for what are your using it and the resolutions is most of the
times how higher the resolution the better, but this is not always so…

Hi @Lintbf
For 15” I would preferred a full hd (1920)
With 13” and full hd I think you need a little scale factor, I would say 1280x800 is a minimum for this size, better is full hd. :wink:

1 Like

Now I’m ready with the new event triggerded show of albumart and title infos.
No more injection of statemachine.js is needed to write this info.

this is only a preview version of files to test with online services and webradio.
(Tidal …)

to use the files its needed to install the websocket_client for python
Please install it for both users (volumio and root) to have the possibility to start the python script also with sudo

python3 -m pip install socketIO-client
sudo python3 -m pip install socketIO-client

for a check of correct installation start python3 and run the follow import:

python3
>>> from socketIO_client import SocketIO
>>> quit()

If this running without error, all is ok.

Download test files
albumart.zip (6.5 KB)

replace the files in
/home/volumio/PeppyMeter

If the albumart now working with Tidal and Qobuz, I can update the installation. :wink:

1 Like

Hi 2aCD,
After replacing the 2 new .py files, the webradio albumart doesn’t show up, neither the local drive albumart, all gone.

Just for your info, I checked the playinfo, the albumart path is correct, and the .jpeg is exactly in the right folder.

Sincerely,
KMF

Hi @KMF Thanks for testing. Do you have install successfully the socketIO for python3 also without sudo before?

2 Likes

My beta project of this amazing work it’s almost finished.
I’ve been working on making @2aCD work integrated with the @balbuze PeppyMeter plugin also without any changes on the Volumio installation or GUI files as this is recommended for new Volumio updates.

Already have all done just need to recheck the installation steps and if i miss any of the changes on the Volumio GUI.
Soon if @balbuze interested we should have both of works in one plugin.

Best regards

4 Likes

Hi,
That’s great news, I remember that when I started to install peppy meter in volumio it took me 2 3 weeks :)). I am glad that in the end it will come as plugin also the work or 2acd and balbuze plugin.
This will be a huge improvement for volumio.
I already plan to buy a 15 inch screen just for this and a lot of user will be happy.
Regards

You can buy a 50 inch :rofl:
As i already say early i’ll not take credits on @2aCD or @balbuze work so will depends if my changes meet the requirements for the @balbuze PeppyMeter plugin and also if @2aCD wants his work merged to that plugin :wink:
If that doesn’t work i can try to post a step-step guide for all. Also that with permission from them.

Best Regards

1 Like

Hi @2aCD,
I was using python3.4, it works well for no-web-albumart, and when I was trying to install socketIO-client, then error message popup:

importerror no module named ‘typing’

So I upgrade python3.4 to python3.6, the socketIO-client can be installed without error, however, the pygame is missing, I did remove and re-install pygame, but no success:

Python 3.6.2 (default, May 28 2021, 23:08:24)
[GCC 6.3.0 20170516] on linux
Type “help”, “copyright”, “credits” or “license” for more information.

import pygame
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “”, line 1, in
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘pygame’

then I stocked here.

Thank you,
KMF

Hi 2aCD,
May I know it is possible to reduce 60sec screen saver timeout (switch to peppymeter) ? say 30sec or can be user defined ? thank you.

Sincerely,
KMF

Hi @KMF
with the PeppyMeter installation the python3 version should be updated to 3.7.3.

sudo apt-get install python3-pip
sudo apt-get install python3-pygame

With this version also the socketIO installation is running successfully.

python3 -m pip install socketIO-client

The crontab has only a resolution of 1 minute. Unfortunately 30 seconds is not possible.

1 Like

Hi @2aCD,
thanks for your reply.
I upgrade python version to be 3.7.3, and installed pygame.
But pygame can not be called in python3, would you kindly help ? thank you.

Sincerely,
KMF

1 Like

hi @KMF,
sorry I’m a little bit confused. Do you use VOLUMIO 2.882 not buster? That I have forgot, sorry. With VOLUMIO 2.882 the updated python3 after the pygame installation is 3.4.2, with buster 3.7.3 My installation was on buster.

For 2.882 you don’t need an update of python 3.7.3 only the socketIO installation with sudo is enough.

It’s different to buster, here you need also the installation without sudo.
To check out the socketIO installation look into: /usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages

and in python do the follow with volumio user:

export DISPLAY=:0
python3

#for socketIO
>>> from socketIO_client import SocketIO

#for pygame
>>> import pygame

if this is running without error please start the check with peppymeter.py

export DISPLAY=:0
cd /home/volumio/PeppyMeter
python3 peppymeter.py

then start play a title
With the manually start you see the console errors, if you have anything.

sorry again for my confusion
:wink:

Hi @2aCD,
Thanks for your clarify, and yes, I am using VOLUMIO 2.882, now I go back to Python 3.4.2, and installed socketIO-client with no problem, but the web radio albumart still no show, please check the info blow:

=== /tmp/playinfo ===
[playinfo]
Title = “BBC Radio 3”
Album = undefined
Artist = “”
Albumart = /data/albumart/folder/mntined/extralarge.jpeg

==== /data/albumart/folder ===
volumio@volumio:~$ ls /data/albumart/folder/
mnt

As you can see. the playinfo indicated the albumart picture is in the folder: /data/albumart/folder/mntined/extralarge.jpeg
But there is no [mntined] folder under /data/albumart/folder/

As well as the artist info and tittle are no show anymore.

Any clue I can check ? thank you for your kindly help.

Sincerely,
KMF

Ok, then the installation is successfully.
The playinfo file is not more used with socketIO.
If the albumart with USB/NAS source now working the socketIO connection is ok.

I have update the albumart.zip with optimization to use with webradio

Download on post 73

1 Like

Hi 2aCD,

It’s working now ! thank you so much…
One more issue, the needle will move while playing web radio, but it doesn’t move while playing Spotify.

Thanks again,
KMF

1 Like