Volumio Primo - Official Thread

Quick follow up to the problems with the the HDMI and Acer T232HL touch screen. After I removed power form the Priomo and let it restart the Acer monitor started working. There must be some kind of a handshake needed and a power reset fixed it. Simple solution!

Thank you to Volumio for his follow up. See above.

I was also able to use the touch screen to control the Volumio interface without issue!

Here is a link to the Harmony remote. Their hub products are web host based meaning they can actually configure your remote for you if the configuration you install fails or you have problems with it.

The Harmony series of hub based remotes support IP and IR control of devices. If Volumio supports IP control of the application all you would need to do is submit the commands to Logitech and have them add the Volumio to the existing database of supported products.

Here is a link to the Harmony Elite page.

And as requested a link to the same product on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-Elite-Remote-Control/dp/B014PDFP9S/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=harmony&qid=1594823843&sr=8-5

Thank you for your help!

1 Like

Would be awesome if this was done.

Iā€™ve found a different solution, maybe not the one you are searching for: with a Flirc USB you can do what you are aiming for. Set the Harmony to FLIRC Kodi/Xbmc and install Triggerhappy through the command line of your Primo (ipadress.dev set SSH on before trying to enter the command line).

I can play, pause, skip and rewind.

Would be even better if I could move up and down and select items within the UI, but until now even a keyboard wouldnā€™t give you that options.

Checked harmony documentation and unfortunately it seems there is no open API (there was, but has been removed).
Contacted logitech to see how we can add support for that.

Thanks for the suggestion of triggerhappy! We were using xbindkeys, but this seems like a much better alternative

Thanks so much for this suggestion Iā€™d love to implement it.
What are the credentials you are using to login via SSH?
User name:
Password:

1 Like

Is there anyway to setup a sleep timer for the HDMI output. Since I am using a dedicated touch screen to control the Primo Iā€™d prefer for the monitor to automatically sleep after a preset time without effecting the audio output.

Something likeā€¦

30sec
1min
5min
30min
user configurable:

Also I have a couple of questions about the Primos interface:

Is there anyway to change the visual interface on Volumio other than the built in options? I would like to have only the Album cover displayed with some minimal information like song title and album and I would like for this to fill as much of the screen as possible.

A second question concerns the actual album cover displayed. I have many albums with custom embedded covers and entire playlists with custom album covers for parties and such. I even have one play list with family portraits embedded for casual listening that acts as a family playwall.

Unfortunately none of the custom covers are being displayed. Is there a way to force Volumio to use only the embedded covers and not web based covers. I have disabled web based covers but it seems to have little effect on the actual covers displayed.

Iā€™ve had my Primo for about a week now and am ecstatic with itā€™s audio detail. I am running it through a Proceed AVP2 / Proceed AMP 5 / Triad Rackamp 3000 / Magnapan 3.6rā€™s / Triad inwall bronze sub.

I am using the S/PDIF output on the Primo feeding directly into the AVP2 BNC SPDIF connector (6) via a 75ohm patch cable.

My last streamers were a DUNE HD Pro 4K and an NVIDIA Shield. The audio detail and nuance form the Primo is far and way better than either of those two and I am very happy with the abundant source choices from Volumio.

I preliminary stream from a private library hosted on a local QNAP NAS, but having access to TIDAL and other on line sources is a god send.

Well doneā€¦ bravo Volumio!

Update: we now added triggerhappy as default media key manager for Primo.
If you installed manually, I suggest doing a factory reset before updating, otherwise you will get inconsistent behaviour.

Regarding embedded artwork:we excluded them, since it poses a performance issue. It will be re-enabled once our own scanning database will be released

1 Like

Wise choice! If I make a back up before resetting will the inconsistenties be gone when I upgrade and restore?

Yes, I suggest not making any backup

1 Like

Thanks I wonā€™t. Just a smal bug report: each time I restart the Primo I get just a command line on my TV. I have to switch (via external browser) HDMI-video output to Off, save setting, then to On, save setting. I can live with it as I donā€™t restart the Primo that often, but still a bugā€¦

I have had the Volumio Primo for a while I like the sound, the clarity and the interface. I decided to Get a new DAC Schiit Modius on most of my flac files it sounds a little better usb from Primo to Modius. On a number of files the sound is very noisy and pops \ crackles a lot. It seems to be related to flac files encoded at 44.1 kHz 24 bit. I now have it connected with Coaxial SPDIF and that works as expected. The usb connection is reported to be better. Any ideas now to resolve this?

We have a fix coming up for the usb audio driver with hope that it will fix your issues as well.

1 Like

thank you. Version 2.811 resolved issue with Schiit Modius DAD usb and 24 bit files.

Hi everyone,

I got my Primo a few weeks ago and canā€™t be more happyā€¦ I currently a USB flash drive connected to it with my music but I need to upgrade it and Iā€™m looking for an external hard drive to connect to Primo. Any recommendations on to what to buy that can easily connect to Primo?

Any USB drive will work. I would suggest avoiding USB 3.0 drives :wink:

Hi,
There are still USB 2.0 drive or what standard at you refering ?
Thanks

Thanks for the answer!
Why to avoid 3.0? And thereā€™s no issues with the power consumption of the hard drive itself since itā€™s powered by the primo?

1 Like

USB 3.0 shall work fine, but you wonā€™t be using all the speed, so makes no sense to spend more on that

Ok, thanks for that! And so no issues on the power consumption of the drive itself?

With the included power supply I never had any power consumption issue.
(except with a very big USB CD Drive, for which I had to use an USB HUB)