Volumio Primo - Official Thread

Hi.
Excuse me my English. Will be available for purchase pcb without digital out connector and without power connector?

No, Primo is only available as a complete player

Is Primo available to U.S. customers yet?

Yes, ships at the end of April

Sorry that I have to ask for customer support on the forum ā€¦ I tried to put in a Customer Service Support message and it wonā€™t let me hit send.
There seems to have a glitch with the shopping cart. It wonā€™t let me place the order for "No shipping method has been selected ā€¦ check your address ā€¦ " I donā€™t think there is any issue on the US address I input. The shipping method field does not have a drop down for me neither.

1 Like

Sorry, it was an issue on our side. Now worldwide shipping is available again :wink:

Sorry, it was an issue on our side. Now worldwide shipping is available again :wink:

Primo has been playing at my home for a few days. I coupled it with Schiit Vali 2. Through a pair of modded Grado, the set up is very musical. To my surprise, the tiny kit power adapter handles very well. I will try to plug in a linear PSU later to see how it will improve further. I particularly like the metal case and no LED on the front. For the price of it, itā€™s disruptive (from a price/value ratio perspective). Also wanted to mention the non-intrusive design. The matte black case let the digital part of my set up fade in the background and let the Bugle Boy tube glow and get all the attention it deserves. To play DSD files, it took some toying with the settings for DoP and reboots (incl. Volumio version updates). After 20 mins, the entire setup is up and running. Pretty happy so far.

Well done, Volumio!

John

Some comments on my Primo

I am guessing their inst much of critical mass of Primo owners yet or that i may be looking in the wrong forum
I expected to see a lot more discussions on this wonderbox!

After a few months I am still greatly impressed with my Primoā€™s sound

I still havenā€™t bee able to figure out why i cant tell much difference in sound between output by USB to my Cambridge 851D DAC using an upmarket USB cable that cost more than the Primo. and going out RCA from the Primo to my Cambridge 851E preamp .

The 851D now sits back in its box waiting for me to make up my mind whether to sell if off
as I just got a 851C (CD) that also has supposedly a pretty good build in DAC also

I am finding the only problem I have with it is that the Primo web interface on occasion just disappears after extend periods of non useā€¦
I put the Primo on a UPS to see if its just the result of power events and disruptions because I live a rural area that power stability can be problemā€¦

I keep meaning to find the time to play with settings of the Primo more , but honestly it sounds so good and is meeting my needs at present
I just seem to listen to it! rather than fiddle with it .

I have a couple of TB of Music in a shared folder on a computer on my home network and about 2,000 ish Albums on a USD DAS to the Primo

I have made no effort beyond just a simple A-Z setup and as i tend not to listen to playlists as I am an old fart and likes to hear the artists work as released and can curate my own listening thank you very much. Although I do find my self using the Primo internet radio at times thatā€™s been a fun bonus.

While as I have said I have very happy Primo ears at present , and initial setup was very easy , i would like to see more information on Primo configuration settings to see if I could set it up even better.

I am an equal opportunity listener , much vinyl , many CD, and Flac , not a purist at all and have what some would consider really good gear and my more audiophile friends look down on me as ā€œentry levelā€

I will say that the difference between playback on my turntable or CD and the Primo is negligible in quality at a moderate volumes
with the same album ā€¦its only at low volume levels I can tell the difference ā€¦considering the turntable and CD player cost many times more than the Primo , like others have mentioned its very disruptive on the price point for the quality of sound .

I would like to next try the Primo on a Linear power supply and am waiting to see if the matching Lineo power supply goes to sale soon
if not any recommendation on a suitable linear power supply for it would be appreciated.

1 Like

IR remote control for Primo. Anyone tried using a Flirc or some other usb IR remote control?

I have a logitech harmony to control all my devices and it would be awesome if I could use it on my Primo as well. I like using my Primo on my TV and donā€™t want an extra remote/keyboard or mouse laying around. Any solutions?

It would be awesome to integrate the harmonyā€¦ Is it still on sale?

1 Like

Yes it is still on sale I have the very basic Logitech Harmony 350. Ordered the Primo yesterday and am wondering how to implement IR control. That I wonā€™t even need the upcoming TIZEN Volumio app and control the Primo directly.

Is there any IR receiver supported? Thanks in advance

Did you found a solution already?

1 Like

Hello,
I bought a Volumio Primo Hifi Edition, but i do not manage to activate the additional free functions. I tried to enter the coupon code after I registered myVolumio with no effect and had a lot of communications with the shop but no success so I donā€™t get a Hifi Edition. What is going wrong?

Hi juro, we will reply to your mail ASAP. Donā€™t worry we will take care of you!

I got my Volumio Primo today and I am over the moon with it! Stunning little device.

Sound is way better then with my Raspberry Pi with Hifiberry Dac+, even with the power supply that came with the device. Rich and full tones. I will try my iFi iPower soon to check if that makes it even better.

At this price point it is an absolute bargain imo.

Besides to sound it is very snappy and I like looks of the device, minimalistic and professional.

Only things that can be better for me are:

• Lack of IR Remote control (will add a Flirc next week and see if this wil work)
  • The Android app is unreliable (have to force close it most of the times)
  • Tidal integration could be better, but I know itā€™s being worked on

Keep up the good work and thanks for the great service as well Michelangelo!

1 Like

Over a year with my now much beloved Primo
still a happy camperā€¦upgraded speakers, amp and pre
now cablesā€¦about the only thing i havenā€™t changed is my Primo

so I have a question about what to do next, I acquired a nice set of Focal outdoor speakers for around the pool , pool room is in separate out building ā€¦I have just been running an amp and an older but still decent laptop reloaded to Peppermint OS and keeping it light with Audacious as a player .

I am an old fart who tends to listen to whole albums more than playlists and have been keeping the music on an external USB driveā€¦This set up is ok but i would like to access my main network share
I am going to run external share Cat 6 out to the pool house and I am wondering if i got another Primo would it also be able to use the same network shareā€¦?

If so could I mount a touch screen to the outside of the building to use to control the second Primo
or would the attach a monitor and wireless keyboard/mouse just work betterā€¦

m

Just got my Primo and still learning about it, but one of the first things I did was try to setup some kind of remote control using a Logitech Harmony. It was a endless series of trial and error with no working results. I also tried attaching a Microsoft multimedia receiver and used its remote, nothing. FLIRC was equally non-responsive when set as a multimedia remote or simply a media remote. Has anyone had any success getting a remote to work with the Primo? Can you give some guidance?

The next endeavor was to purchase a touch screen monitor for my media rack to control the Primo locally. I purchased an Acer T232HL and connected both the HDMI and the USB cables required for touch. Unfortunately even with HDMI switched on in the Volumio app, there was no output to the monitor. The Volumiio outputs fine to my my 60" Pioneer FD-151, but there is no signal detected by the Acer monitor. I also connected the Acer monitor to my Nvidia Shield and it worked great.

So the Acer monitor is working, just not with the Volumio. Has anyone else attempted to connect a touch screen monitor and if so did you have any success?

Yes, I would do this:

• Use a wifi extender (or even better a powerline extender) in the pool house.
  • Configure the Primo to read from the SMB share (both Primos can read at the same time)

Glad to hear youā€™re enjoying so much the Primo! This makes so much happy and proud!

Can you point me to an amazon listing of the Harmony remote you want to use? I will investigate to make it compatible. This is something I would love to do.

Mmm very strange! First time I hear of a HDMI display not working with Primo.
Do you mind sending a log so I can see what goes wrong? I might be able to fix it and release a software update.
https://volumio.github.io/docs/User_Manual/Sending_logs_for_troubleshooting.html
Paste the log here

1 Like