Volumio Powered Digital Player with BerryNOS 1543 DAC

Hi all!

G2 Labs have made it for me:
Some work; result is amazing!

flickr.com/photos/125186975 … 189009163/

Greetingz, Robert

Cool setup Robert - Those interconnects - did you build then yourself? they look similar to mine. What is the board to the left of your case? Your power supply looks amazing…details please? :mrgreen:

Hi Pete!

Cables are selfbuilt. Just 3 Cat5e conductors drilled towards each other. On the left side you see 2 banks of capacitors (Panasonic FM 1500µF/35V). Whole capacity is about 27000µF- only for the Pi. Many of them parallel connected increases speed behaviour. Behind I took 4 fast soft recovery diodes for rectifying process. LM 1084-5 linear regulator is placed between the two capacitor packs. Near to input and output pin each one additional capacitor is placed with the value mentioned above. parallel connected on each side are fast MKP’s (100nF/ 11000V per µs) against high frequency. Two parallel resistors before/behind the regulator for emptying capacitors quickly after power off and ensuring keeping the Voltage difference between input and output of LM1084. Output Voltage must always be lower then input Voltage.
Power supplies are completely separated for Raspi and BerryNOS 1543 DAC. Although DAC only needs a transformer. Rectifying and regulation circuits are allready onboard.
Housing is stainless steel with oak wood panels- just for fun :smiley:
This sounds really good- especially rhythm- and bass precision are amazing!

Greetingz, Robert

Hi Robert

Gee, that’s too complicated for me! I just use the 12v rail of an atx power supply, regulated down to 5.1v across TP1 &TP2. I power via GPIO, as the power supply (although switching) is well regulated, and there is less voltage drop by bypassing the input polyfuse of the pi. My (also home built) interconnects are 4 Cat5e solid core wires, braided together with two to positive & 2 to negative. I am considering buying the IQAudiO Pi-Dac, but this will mean having to change back to micro usb power, or using patch leads for the dac (which I think is a bit silly). Currently using a USB to S/PDIF converter to feed my Beresford 7520, which is giving me great sound.

Hi Pete!

Sounds more complicated than it is. In the end it’s a very simple power supply. A good idea to power Pi up from GPIO. With the BerryNOS 1543 Pi get’s power via GPIO automatically. If you think of a DAC card, I2S is definitely the way to go with the pi. It’s the most direct connection to a DAC.

Greetingz, Robert