Volumio on the Raspberry Pi Zero 2

are you using Volumio 2 with this ?

No, this is Volumio 3.0 rc 1

// Volumio 3 RC1 - Open Beta Testing - #2 by volumio

As dvo mentioned, I am using Volumio 3.0

someone managed to run volumio 2 on rpi zero 2 with working wifi?

1 Like

Also trying to get Wifi working on the Pi Zero 2 on Volumio 2.
Volumio 3 is not an option, as it is missing some plugins I need.

Unfortunately we will not put more effort in Volumio2, as Volumio3 will be released very shortly.
What are the plugins you miss?

LastFM Scrobbler, and Snapcast.

I am aware of the MyVolumio multiroom functionality in Volumio 3, but unfortunately my wallet doesn’t really allow me to pay the subscription for that :grimacing:

Heya, I tried doing this but the wifi hotspot never show up for me.
Using a USB dongle too.
Did you overwrite files?

You may not have the same dongle as @kaybee61, not all dongles work

Hi,
I got the RPi to boot, connected using a wired LAN dongle and then got the USB wireless working.
But then found most of Volumio didn’t work.
I have given up on it at the moment.

That’s really disappointing. Thanks for letting us know.
I wish I knew Volumio 2 was never going to get Raspberry Pi Zero 2 support before I bought one.

Volumio 3 simply doesn’t can’t do what I need it to do yet.

What is it that is vital to you but still missing?
People may be able to help knowing your wishes.

I basically just need the Snapcast server and client plugins.

I don’t know whether this will help you, but I have done this:

I have Volumio 2 running on a pi4 as my Snapcast server.

I have installed raspbian bullseye on my pi Zero 2 and then added the snapcast client. (i.e. no Volumio on the zero 2) The pi Zero 2 now happily plays synchronised content. Obviously it doesn’t give me all the functionality of Volumio, but it does give me a battery powered satellite speaker which is basically what I was after.

That’s a really good tip, that hadn’t occurred to me at all (but actually getting off-topic).

I have the same problem: Volumio 3 does not work on Both old and new versions of Rpi zero: lsmod shows no network driver is loaded, so…. Is there a roadmap / timeline when this will be fixed? I understand that the zero is not a priority, but still….

I have two Pi 0 and one Pi 0 v2 all working. With no diferent steps than Pi 4…

Hello, I spend some time researching Volumio on a Zero 2W and found this thread: Volumio auf Raspberry Pi Zero W, Mediacenter - HIFI-FORUM Its in German and boils down to this: Put volumio on a SD, put the SD in a Pi2/3 and configure. Take the SD and put it in the Zero and boot. This (according to this forum) should work. I myself went for this one: moodeaudio.org it is specially for the Zero and works out of the box. Very similar to Volumio but has some nice extras build-in. I rand moode “out of the box” on a Zero 2W using the Bluetooth to connect to some speakers. It… kinda works but after attaching a USB sound-card its a good streaming radio. Now i know its not Volumio but works kick-ass on a 2W. I will test the “German solution” myself as soon as i have the time because… well… i like Volumio.

Update: I bought a new SD card and installed volumio by normal procedure. It works as should. Weird, pretty sure I used the same built.

Anyway, I’m impressed by the improvement in boot time and overall response of Volumio compared to Pi Zero w1.

(I use it mainly for streaming internet radio with a Justboom digi board and the optical out to use the DAC in my NAD C338, works pretty great.)

Just got in a Zero-2W, downloaded the Volumiobuster-3.129-2021-10-29-pi image and with etcher made an SD-card. The 2W boots from it. I am using a Soundblaster FX10Go USB sound-card. Worked all out of the box BUT don’t change anything in the network-section of the configuration because i then loose connection and have to start over (flash again and so on). Now i did make the audio-buffer 4Mb and the playback-buffer 20%. It now just plays fine. One other issue, i can not login into my volumio account so… no plugins (realy need autoplay, WHY is it not a default implementation i dont know).

Extra information, ANY cheap Chinese USB-soundcard (less than 2 US$) i connect to the 2W worked perfectly. A “converter” plug from Minu-USB to USB (or USB-C if your soundcard has the C version) is needed but they are like 50 cents. Saves an audio-HAT.