Volumio not working on Raspberry Pi 4 rev 1.5 board - start4.elf not compatible

It didn’t work, unfortunately. Same start4.elf error.

seems @volumio Dev’s need to recompile the kernel for the new rPi V1.5. The delivery time for a rPi is long nowadays…

1 Like

thepihut.com have them in stock at the moment - I’d been checking their site daily and they came into stock on Friday. Only the 2GB model and one per customer. That’s UK-based though.

Saws them, but paying 60 euro for a rPi4-2G…

I have it working now. I had a look at the raspberry pi firmware git repo and saw a commit 11 days ago that affected 16 files including start4.elf. I copied just those 16 files (fixup*.dat and start*.elf) over from latest raspbian onto volumio and it booted fine. Music playing, so all sorted.

Thanks for all your responses!

3 Likes

I’m currently going through the same issue, however have been unsuccessful finding the same git repo you located. Do you still have the issue link to be shared?

This is the link to the git repo, but I just used this for reference - to identify which files had changed in that commit.

What I did to resolve the issue was flash volumio 3.179 onto one SD card (using balenoEtcher), flash the latest raspbian onto another SD card (using RPI Imager) and then copy those 16 files from the boot partition on the raspbian card over to the boot partition on the volumio card. You can do it without using 2 cards - just flash raspbian onto SD first, copy those 16 files onto host computer, then flash volumio onto SD and finally copy files from host computer onto volumio SD.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up guys.

We made a test image with the latest PI kernel, which should be compatible with 1.5

Please be aware that:

• This image might not work
  • We ask if you can test with your 1.5 PI and let us know if that works
  • Don’t manually change the elf files or download anything else.

If you like to test, please report to us if:

• PI 1.5 works
  • You have any kind of issue

Thanks

https://updates.volumio.org/pi/volumio/3.194/Volumio-3.194-2022-01-17-pi.zip

1 Like

Sure, no problem. I’ll test it out and let you know.

Please move this to the top of this topic…

1 Like

I tested this out and it works fine. Raspberry PI booted fine, went through 1st time setup wizard, tested playing my local library and also Spotify plugin. All working as expected, thanks.

Was unsuccessful. Did not boot at all. Black screen, and gave it about 10 minutes.

Hi,

Are you connecting your monitor to the 1st micro-HDMI port on the RPI? The one nearest the usb-c port? That caught me out yesterday - on one test I was getting black screen but it was because I had connected to the 2nd micro-HDMI port.

Have you verified your board boots ok with a flash of latest raspbian OS? And are you seeing rev 1.5 in /proc/cpuinfo file?

Aaaaaaah, that’s a really good point. I’m currently formatting the SD card again and will try again later this evening.

All working!! Thanks for the support

Halleluiah. So glad i found this thread, was going crazy trying to get it to work. Please bare with me as I dont speak computer so may ask some daft questions or use wrong term.

My Pi4 2Gb arrived yesterday, originally was going to try Moode to get up and running but had the 4 slow 4 fast flashing Green LED when turned on and find the support/instructions very unintuative.
I have then Volumio downloaded from the main page same result. - much better instructions and support forum by the way.
Im not known for patience so its amazing that the pi is not currently in pieces with a dent in the wall by now.
Have finally managed to get the Pi working using the Rasberry Pi OS and came across this while the OS was writing.
I expected to access the pi headless and dont have a micro HDMI cable/adapter so now stuck until i can find one locally or get one delivered tomorrow.
I assume the .Zip file in the is thread is different to the one on the main download page? i.e its a trial version?
Can some one advise if a wireless USB mouse and USB keyboard will work with the pi alongside a monitor or do they need to be hardwired?
Once I have a HDMI cable will try the above file and report back

Hi - yes, the version of volumio in the zip file in this topic is v3.194, while on the main download page it is v3.179. If your PI is a v1.5 board like the one I received a few days ago, then you likely have the same issue.

If you have the ability to connect it with wired network connection, you could flash your SD card with v3.194 (the zip on this topic) and boot it with that. Then you can download volumio2 from Google Play store to your phone. It will look for devices on your network and you can just get it going from there, no need for keyboard, mouse, monitor.

I’m sure there is similar for iOS.

I believe you can even do first-time setup headless over wifi, something to do with it appearing as a hotspot - its documented here: Quick Start Guide - Volumio Documentation

I’ve done wired setup without monitor etc and worked well for me.

You can also use any browser you have on a pc, mac, iphone, ipad etc.
Have a quick look at the documentation

Yes, thanks
after I posted I read further through the guide and realised I could just use the network cable - other software options including the working Rasberry OS i was looking at trying to get the thing working required the software to be edited and other software to be used/installed to do that. A coffee and a clear head and having written the updated Volumio OS version provided above to the SD card I have connected via network cable to my laptop and finished the set up including Wifi.

Im currently listening directly out of the Pi via headphones and using Airplay from my phone.
My hifi is currently sitting in boxes - im supposed to be decorating the room - so will have to wait for testing USB out to the DAC till later.

Im not sure how to check whether I have Rev 1.4 or 1.5 but mine will be from the same batch as the OP as it was ordered friday night from pihut and the updated OS seems to be working fine.

As i said earlier great start up guide - if you read it in full! -and fantastic support forum and to have a fix available with in days.

Thanks

Just open a SSH connection to the rPi and type:
pinout

or
cat /proc/cpuinfo

or
cat /proc/device-tree/model