Volumio not showing up in network shares

Raspberry pi4 8Mb Volumio 2.8 several units none show shares in samba on the network. did a share in raspian and it showes up in the file browser under networks. tried adding an smb user that diden’t work, made a music folder in the home/volumio directory and added ti to the smb.conf file restarted no luck. tried other things in the smb.conf file nothing is helping. tried to smb to 192.168.50.157/music says no file
can anyone help as I have a nanosound and added a 500gig internal usb drive and would like to share that on the network so i can drop music there and play it on volumio.

So you have several RPi devices on the same network, and you can’t see any shares? Each device will indeed have a share called “Internal Storage”. How have you checked that these are not present?

did a share in raspian and it showes up in the file browser under networks.

You have a device running Raspbian on which you can make a samba share. What file browser were you using to see this share?

tried adding an smb user that diden’t work, made a music folder in the home/volumio directory and added ti to the smb.conf file restarted no luck. tried other things in the smb.conf file nothing is helping.

You shouldn’t need to be doing any of this for using the share already provided by Volumio.

can anyone help as I have a nanosound and added a 500gig internal usb drive and would like to share that on the network so i can drop music there and play it on volumio.

A Nanosound DAC with an external usb drive should work fine with Volumio. It should automatically be recognised as a usb device and scanned for music files, which will then be available for Volumio to play. Accessing the drive over the network (to add/change your music collection) will require the drive to be shared via Samba. Have a search of the forums for post showing the appropriate smb.conf file changes. For example, have a look here.

Edit: just noticed when looking at one of my devices that the USB folder (where your music files will appear) is actually a Samba share already.

So you have several RPi devices on the same network, and you can’t see any shares? Each device will indeed have a share called “Internal Storage”. How have you checked that these are not present?

Yes, I cannot see shares on the same network however i see the share on my machine in nemo running raspian. I use nemo and go to network. also tried firefox 192.168.50.179/internal dosent work. have 2 volumio computers on this network and they see each other and are working fine. tried in the bedroom network and Mint did not see a share with nemo also pi/volumio on the same network. yes saw the USB share in config. this may be some kind of network announce problem maybe firewall settings on the Pi?. don’t have windoze on these networks. thank you for your help in this matter .
Steve O

Yes, I cannot see shares on the same network however i see the share on my machine in nemo running raspian.

Sorry, but this doesn’t make sense. You are contradicting yourself. Also please try to clarify things that you are referring to … I had no idea that “nemo” was a file manager used by Cinnamon DE.

I would not expect 192.168.50.179/internal to work in any browser for a samba share (possibly it might in nautilus browser if the protocol was defined as smb rather than http).

So, not really sure what you’re asking here. I would connect everything up and get Volumio working using a small number of tracks on your external drive. You can then sort out a way of accessing the drive over the network. If your file manager is unable to directly access samba shares, then you will probably have to mount the network drive to a local directory (on your Raspbian machine?) such as ‘/mnt/usbdrive’, and access it there.

1 Like

none of the Pi’s show up in windoze network browser, or the pi network browser but I was able to map a drive in windoze and connect in pcmanfm by entering smb://volumiotest.local:445/ maybe no SMB or domain master in my network to brodcast the computers on the network

this means that the share does not show up on other computers in the network but it does show up on the local machine ie the machine that has the share. was able to map directly to other share on the network using smb://volumio.local:445/ that worked. still nothing shows in network on either windows or linux

1 Like