volumio in combination with Chromecast audio?

Recently I read about improved Multi-oom capabilities of chromecast audio and wondered, if a combination with Volumio would be possible. Could one raspberry pi be used to feed several chromecast audio sticks in the local network which are connected to amplifiers via a Spdif output?

1 Like

Any news on this? Really curious as well

I have both but don’t really see the symbiosis…

I use RPi/Volumio to listen to music from my NAS
I use the CA to listen to Spotify and internet radio
(Output from both is SPDIF to Rega DAC)

I know RPi can do the latter but I prefer the implementation on the CA, being able to find music/stations within an app and then sending it to CA

If you were going to go multiroom I still don’t see how the devices overlap or complement each other.

Maybe you can use this github.com/balloob/pychromecast

Hi guys, did you ever figure out a way to stream music to both Volumio and Chromecast audio at the same time?

I would like to have Volumio and Chromecast audio streaming in the kitchen and the living room at the same time. My wife, who is computer challenged, knows how to use Spotify Connect. I was home to be able to setup zones through Volumio or Google Home App. I saw discussions about Snapcast and Mopidy, but they seem to be a bit convoluted. If I went with the later, I suspect I’d be rebuilding Snapcast/Mopidy everytime I installed a major Volumio update.

If there are alternatives to Snapcast/Mopidy, please let me know also.

Trying to determine if my next investment should be a Chromecast Audio or another Raspberry Pi 3b.