Volumio High End Player

Hello

Very interesting your power supply

what is the design / diagram that I use

regards

Hi,
the power supplies are separated into 3 supplies, one for the raspberry, one for the digital section of the DAC and one for the anlaog output stage.
The designs are LM317/337 for the anlog part and LM350 based for the digital parts.

Nice project
For what are the capacitors beside the diodes (Rectifier) on the right supply unit ?

This is very nicely executed. Congratulations!

I wondered if you have a systematic way of testing your DACs?

@Hammondorgel:
the capacitors eleminating switching noise by the diodes. In newer designs I prefer a snubber.

@mcleanab
Thanks.
I testing the DACs with a few reference units. (T.A.C. CD Player, RME and TEAC DACs…)

Hi @AlexD,
I realize this is an ancient discussion but I wonder, are you still actively pursuing HiFi excellence in your audio streamers?

I was looking at the Dial Audio Dial-DAC for a Volumio system I intend to outfit my brothers house with (Volumio on RPi 3 Model B+). Do you still recommend it or are there other DAC’s you’d recommend?

1 Like

Hello,
of couse I still recommend it. Maybe there are more modern DACs with more functionality, but the sound is key. The DACs by Burr-Brown built in the Dial-DAC are still one of the best sounding chips today. Also you can tweak them with an good power supply as I recommend.
The next batch is coming soon, so the DAC will be available in november.

1 Like

Thanks @AlexD. I agree. It is about sound, not features. I will keep an eye out for the November run and build enough room in my case for a decent power supply.

Cheers,
Andrew

The DIAL-DAC is back on stock.

My network streamer.
Pi3b+
I2SoverUSB
PCM1794 DAC ( I/V conversion on Vishay high precision foil resistors)
Mu follover tube output.
PSU 2x sigma 11 , 1 Salas and HV/HT for Mu follower.

1 Like

Sorry old photo.

Updated :

All stuff don’t fit the enclosure and overheathing a bit.
New enclosure will be slightly bigger and ventilated .
Front and back panel laser cut ordered.
Whole streamer will start/stop ( system closed ) on one switch.
New PSU based on 2x Struder900 ( and 2x Sigma 11 ) fitted to large heatsink.

1 Like

New enclosure cooming soon.