Volumio for Raspberry Pi 1.3Beta (25/04/2014) Feedback

:frowning: this is not a good news, python stuff are so useful for adding value to Volumio.
Don’t know is this help but I did install successfully python & friends on the top of Volumio 1.2 by doing the following :

apt-get update apt-get install python-dev apt-get install python-setuptools easy_install -U distribute apt-get install python-pip pip install rpi.gpio apt-get install git

Francis

I’ve installed Volumio 1.3 beta without any problems. I have one issue wrt I2S. When selecting the RpiDac I2S driver, Volumio adds, among others, the kernel module ‘snd_soc_pcm5102a’ in /etc/modules. Result is that my DDDac is not recognized as a sound card. Everything works fine if change the pcm kernel module to ‘snd-soc-pcm1794a’.

Don’t know if this pcm kernel module is DAC specific.

Regards,

Umberto

Hi,

I have tried this beta release on a Pi and have trouble building the database. I use a synology nas and have already turned upnp off on the nas, otherwise it does not work at all.
Building the database does not seem to stop, I had it running for 24 hours and it still was updating. Trying to play music from the database did not work; I can put songs into the playlist but it will not play.

This build is useless as it is now.

I also encountered the same problems as Umberto, needed to edit the file with ssh.

Wifi however does work!

I hope the issues will be solved soon, in the meantime I will revert to an older version.

Regards,

No problems here with Syno DS213j via SMB. Even while updating the database i can play the titles that are already scanned.

Do you have the UPNP/DLNA server of your DS213j running?

BR

Michael

I suppose it’s running, but i can’t access it via volumino. It shows only empty folders.
On my PC i cannot access my Media (with VLC) via UPNP either, so it might be a configuration issue on the syno.

I had the same issue while trying to install XBMC (gotham) on top of Volumio. XBMC was compiled with the versions of python used in Rasbian, but it seems that our Volumio had NEWER versions of some of those python package. Your python package can’t install version 2.7.3-4+deb7u1 of python because some python package version 2.7.5-5 is already installed. (and some packages depend on such a high version).

Use apt-cache show package-name to see which version(s) the system is aware of (installed or in repositories). In your case, you should see both the description of versions 2.7.3-4+deb7u1 and of version 2.7.5-5)

So I had to downgrade those packages

For you, maybe something along the lines of :
#apt-get remove python2.7 python python2.7-dev
#apt-get clean
#apt-get update
#apt-get install python2.7=2.7.3-4+deb7u1 python=2.7.3-4+deb7u1 python2.7-dev=2.7.3-4+deb7u1

When you remove the python packages, a lot of other packages that depend on it may have to be removed as well. Check which and reinstall them after. Hopefully it should go well (I confess I didn’t reinstall anything after, and suffered no hardship)

Cheers!

anyone work well on wolfson audio card?
I try 1.3beta not working
but 1.2beta is good
my 1.2beta setup step is
To install:
Become root: sudo -s
Go to root directory: cd /
Untar the archive: tar xvzf /path/to/where/you/saved/kernel_3_10_25_wolfson.tgz
Add the line
kernel=kernel_wolfson.img
to the file /boot/config.txt
Reboot

element14.com/community/thre … 5&tstart=0

I try the same step on 1.3beta
but not working
no sound

Hi Michelangelo,

I have installed the Beta 1.3 (from April the 25th) on my Raspberry PI and i found out that there might be something wrong with the apt repositories. Let me try to explain :

1. from a fresh install : i just wrote a SD Card and SSHed in

[code]Linux volumio 3.10.36+ #662 PREEMPT Fri Apr 4 18:31:16 BST 2014 armv6l
___
/_ \ __
__ __ //\ \ __ __ ___ ___ /_\ ___
/\ /\ \ / __\\ \ \ /\ \/\ \ /' __ __\/\ \ / __\
\ \ _/ |/\ \L\ \
\ _\ \ _\ /\ /\ /\ \ \ /\ \L\
\ _
/ \ _//_\ _/\ _\ _\ _\ _\ _/
// // // // /////////___/

Free Audiophile Linux Music Player - Version Beta1.3

C 2013 Michelangelo Guarise - Volumio.org

Volumio Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.[/code]

1. if i check the “sources.list” file i can find the rasbian wheezy repositories as expected

volumio@volumio:~$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list deb http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ wheezy main deb-src http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ wheezy main

1. if i try to install the package “build-essential” i’m getting the following error :

[code]volumio@volumio:~$ sudo apt-get update
Get:1 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org wheezy Release.gpg [490 B]
Get:2 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org wheezy Release [14.4 kB]
Get:3 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org wheezy/main Sources [6,066 kB]
Get:4 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org wheezy/main armhf Packages [6,885 kB]
Ign http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org wheezy/main Translation-en_GB
Ign http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org wheezy/main Translation-en
Fetched 13.0 MB in 56s (229 kB/s)
Reading package lists… Done

volumio@volumio:~$ sudo apt-get install build-essential
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
build-essential : Depends: gcc (>= 4:4.4.3) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: g++ (>= 4:4.4.3) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.[/code]

As you can see, there is a dependency problem. I’m not a Linux expert, but i have to admit that i’m curious and patient. So after digging on internet for a while, i found the following (here https://github.com/volumio/Docs/blob/master/compilingmpd.rst) :

And i’m wondering if, since Volumio 1.3Beta, it didn’t break some apt dependencies when you tried to compile MPD 18.9 with Jessie’s repositories.

This is an issue to me (and i guess it will be to others) as i’m trying to install some packages (mainly “ruby” and “imagemagick”. The package “build-essential” is a dependency of any of those) to run a script that extracts the artwork contained in the songs (mp3, aac, mp4 files) to display them in the MPod (MPad or any Android) remote app on my Iphone.

I am fully available to help in case i can :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot for your hard work. Volumio is still young but i’m already a fan.

There were two version of 1.3beta with the file names, VolumioBeta1.3BISPI.zip, and VolumioBeta1.3PI.img.zip (2014/04/25).

I believe the difference is that the latest version has MPD version 0.18.10, the earlier one has 0.18.9. I don’t know if there are any other differences.

I have the first 1.3beta zip file if anyone wants it.

Michelangelo seems to update versions without advertising them, I don’t know why he does this. The latest release should have a different version number too, otherwise it gets confusing even if then changes are small. We really need an up-to-date changelog.

On heading to the MPD site, I notice that MPD 0.18.11 is now released, although it doesn’t seem to have any Pi-related changes:

ver 0.18.11 (2014/05/12)

• decoder
    • opus: fix missing song length on high-latency files
  • fix race condition when using GLib event loop (non-Linux)

yes, he did exactly that. It seems 3 of us now reporting on this thread had dependancy issues while trying to install some things.

In my case (installing xbmc on top of volumio) it was fixed by downgrading a couple of python packages (removing the higher version of packages that conflict and then installing lower version ones by specifying the version in the install command).
It woked in my case but I can’t swear I didn’t break anything else (my DAC is at the repair shop for a couple of weeks so I can’t test).

As for the multiple 1.3 beta files, yes it’s bad practice. Not critical, but not good.

Thanks for the feedback guys. So, what I’m going to do:

1- Releasing with more clear versioning names, agree that 1.3 and 1.3bis was not a brilliant naming
2- Disable UPNP by default, the problem with it is just that MPD scans the library 8 or 9 times more than normal, since the coding into artist, album etc is seen as different files. Gonna find a better way to manage DLNA shares
3- Retaining Upnpmpdcli, is so confortable with BubbleUPNP
4- Fix some dependancy issues, to build mpd I actually used Jessie Repos, this was done because everything now seems to need newer packages, which are not available any more in wheezy. So if you need to install something more, just change the repos to jessie

Is the Wolfson Sound Card supported yet?

I can’t use Volumio until it is. :frowning:

Have you seen this thread?:

wolfson-audio-card-with-volumio-t851-30.html#p4795