Volumio Debian Buster Beta - Raspi images debugging

I see I forgot the lsblk output:

volumio@volumiotest:/media$ lsblk
NAME        MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
loop0         7:0    0 467.3M  0 loop /static
sda           8:0    1   7.3G  0 disk
└─sda1        8:1    1   7.3G  0 part
mmcblk0     179:0    0   7.5G  0 disk
├─mmcblk0p1 179:1    0  91.6M  0 part /boot
├─mmcblk0p2 179:2    0   2.2G  0 part /imgpart
└─mmcblk0p3 179:3    0   5.1G  0 part

Update 2, when I mount the USB drive to /mnt/tmp I can actually browse its contents:

volumio@volumiotest:/mnt$ sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/tmp
volumio@volumiotest:/mnt$ ls
INTERNAL  NAS  tmp  UPNP  USB
volumio@volumiotest:/mnt$ ll tmp/
total 14
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Jan  1  1970  .
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 1024 Feb 23 15:26  ..
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Oct  7 08:28 'Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms'
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Feb 23 14:26 'System Volume Information'

This is consistent with the behaviour i am seeing on my Pi4 with 3.015.
Filesystem is exfat.
I see no corruption on the drive though. But then i dont use Windows.
Out of curiosity: have you tried an fsck on the drive after windows showed errors?
That error might give us a clue where Node.js failed on mounting the device.

So far it seems:

  • error is not Pi4 only (you tested on Pi2)
  • error is not related to Synchronize Cache Error (did various tests on that)
  • error is not related to filesystem (you tested FAT32, i tested exfat and ext4)
  • error was introduced in 3.015 (was reported working in 3.014)

HTH

Thanks for all the debugging - a lot of these issues should (hopefully) be fixed on newer versions, but I’ve run out of space on my Google drive so would like to hand over the “official” beta images to Volumio’s servers. That should also let the OTA stuff start working so you don’t have to reflash each time.

That being said, could someone post the output of cat /etc/os-release so I can confirm what all bugs from that particular image are currently fixed?

1 Like
cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)"
NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="10"
VERSION="10 (buster)"
VERSION_CODENAME=buster
ID=raspbian
ID_LIKE=debian
HOME_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/"
SUPPORT_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianForums"
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianBugs"
VOLUMIO_BUILD_VERSION="ce42870b438221a1441bf386bee548a48fbdef10"
VOLUMIO_FE_VERSION="847a48ecf32d35cc502a0053d585d1a69236e391"
VOLUMIO_FE3_VERSION="9badc5270f4e77ce968c32b01c697b4bc18a7738"
VOLUMIO_BE_VERSION="a6ab2104d7bc11a3682b698ff871af03a5b71d0e"
VOLUMIO_ARCH="arm"
VOLUMIO_VARIANT="volumio"
VOLUMIO_TEST="FALSE"
VOLUMIO_BUILD_DATE="Mon Dec 21 17:36:25 UTC 2020"
VOLUMIO_VERSION="3.015"
VOLUMIO_HARDWARE="raspberry"
VOLUMIO_DEVICENAME="Raspberry Pi"
VOLUMIO_HASH="cfa0cf5b15460aed5be27126a539e744"
1 Like

Exactly the same here :wink:

I’m not sure how I can make it more verbose (the -V parameter doesn’t give me much extra info).

volumio@volumiotest:~$ sudo fsck /dev/sda1
fsck from util-linux 2.33.1
fsck.fat 4.1 (2017-01-24)
0x41: Dirty bit is set. Fs was not properly unmounted and some data may be corrupt.

After retesting (repair in Windows and replug into Pi) I’m not getting the dirty bit anymore, just a summary wrong:

volumio@volumiotest:~$ sudo fsck -l -V /dev/sdb1
fsck from util-linux 2.33.1
[/sbin/fsck.vfat (1) -- /dev/sdb1] fsck.vfat /dev/sdb1
Locking disk by /run/fsck/sdb.lock ... succeeded.
fsck.fat 4.1 (2017-01-24)
Free cluster summary wrong (1915638 vs. really 1669213)
1) Correct
2) Don't correct
? 2
/dev/sdb1: 15 files, 246987/1916200 clusters
Unlocking /run/fsck/sdb.lock.

After that has been fixed I’m not getting errors on Windows or Linux anymore, it still doesn’t show up however. Now I know that /dev/sda1 is the partition, not the disk and since it’s a FAT32 partitioned disk I ran dosfsck and it gave comparable output:

volumio@volumiotest:~$ sudo dosfsck -v /dev/sda
fsck.fat 4.1 (2017-01-24)
Logical sector size (1766 bytes) is not a multiple of the physical sector size.

Something is off in determining the size I think, but tbh I’m no expert (I just sometime know how to Google :wink: )

Update 1

Learning on the job, this is the output of fsck.vfat (same as via dosfsck, but less implicit):

volumio@volumiotest:~$ sudo fsck.vfat -n /dev/sda
fsck.fat 4.1 (2017-01-24)
Logical sector size (1766 bytes) is not a multiple of the physical sector size.

“snd-bcm2835.enable_compat_alsa=1” in cmdline.txt and “libnss-mdns” are missing in 3.015.

Indeed, 3.015 is the same image from Jan 3rd :wink: Haven’t made a new image release since…