Volumio Debian Buster Beta - Raspi images debugging

Yep I understand. Just sharing my experience for others who might need this workaround.

I have used pigpio some time ago and liked it. It is pretty fast and feature-rich. It might make sense to use in the plugins.

Unfortunately I can’t help with updating or maintaining the plugin. I’m using a heavily modified version of IQ_rot service from https://github.com/iqaudio/tools written in C.

1 Like

New Year, New build! :slight_smile:

2021-01-03, version 0.015

Raspberry Pi Volumio-3.015-2021-01-03-pi
Updates:

• Fix more vc quirks (symlink /vc/bins/, update LD_LIBRARY_PATH)
  • Enable airplay (added missing shairport-sync service)
  • Fix more legacy node/npm paths
  • Fix (?) I2S card numbering with 5.xx kernels
  • Bump to 5.10.y kernel

EDIT: Fixed link (again!)

2 Likes

I did some test for this fix

RPi4 - No DSI display -> OK!

volumio@volumio-buster:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: b1 [bcm2835 HDMI 1], device 0: bcm2835 HDMI 1 [bcm2835 HDMI 1]
Subdevices: 4/4
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
card 1: Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones], device 0: bcm2835 Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones]
card 2: sndrpihifiberry [snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac], device 0: HifiBerry DAC HiFi pcm5102a-hifi-0 [HifiBerry DAC HiFi pcm5102a-hifi-0]
Subdevices: 1/1

RPi3B+ - No DSI display -> OK!

card 1: Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones], device 0: bcm2835 Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones]
card 2: sndrpihifiberry [snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac], device 0: HifiBerry DAC HiFi pcm5102a-hifi-0 [HifiBerry DAC HiFi pcm5102a-hifi-0]

RPi3B+ with DSI display -> NOT OK! HDMI is missing, I2S DAC shifted to card1

card 0: Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones], device 0: bcm2835 Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones]
Subdevices: 8/8
Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
Subdevice #7: subdevice #7
card 1: sndrpihifiberry [snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac], device 0: HifiBerry DAC HiFi pcm5102a-hifi-0 [HifiBerry DAC HiFi pcm5102a-hifi-0]

RPi0 -> NOT OK! HDMI is missing, I2S DAC shifted to card1

Subdevices: 8/8
Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
Subdevice #7: subdevice #7
card 1: sndrpihifiberry [snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac], device 0: HifiBerry DAC HiFi pcm5102a-hifi-0 [HifiBerry DAC HiFi pcm5102a-hifi-0]

same story as kernel 5.4.79

I am afraid we can’t use any kernel equal or newer than 5.4.79, if we don’t change the way Volumio selects the output device (from card number to card name).

Without this change, with latest kernels RPI0 and RPi+DSI will not work with any I2S DAC, because it is shifter to card1 instead of card2

Thanks for testing this! :slight_smile:

Unfortunately it does seem the case - poking around a bit more from findings in this post, it is going to be tricky for a pi0 + i2S - as it will always be card 1. No amount of kernel flags will change this as they disabled the headphone jack in the device tree overlay :expressionless:

For the DSI case - is it possible to have both HDMI and DSI active at the same time?

@volumio - Is there a reason not to use the card name directly? It should be quite doable with some regex…

I tried to play with all the possible combinations of snd-bcm2835.enable_compat_alsa, snd_bcm2835.enable_hdmi and snd_bcm2835.enable_headphones, in none of the cases I could have the I2S DAC as card2 with DSI Display connected.

I think they introduced some further checks, if a DSI display is connected the HDMI port is hidden

1 Like

I found two bugs:

1. Cosmetic: If logging in via ssh the prompt shows only "-bash-5.0# "instead of “USER@HOSTNAME:~#”
  2. There is a network problem. If you have a display connected and run the display plugin you don’t see the logo of the local device in “Multiroom” section. And if you switch to another multiroom device, it works, but you can never switch back to the local device.
    I found that there is a missing route (compared to a working volumio with debian 8), i added it but it has not worked.

Try logging in as volumio and not root :wink:

What exactly do you mean? A iptables route?

This is probably an artefact of the mdns service name being prepended for some reason. Have noted it! :slight_smile:

On the “old” volumio it shows root@HOSTNAME
Why not on the new? :grimacing:

I compared it with the “old” volumio and saw that the old one has this route:

route add -host LOCALIP gw localhost metric 202 dev lo

But adding this route has not solved the problem.
It looks like the local UI (Chrome in kiosk mode) can connect to localhost:3000 but not to IPADRESS:3000.
I try to dig deeper and hope i found the problem.

small trick to make Spotify plugin working:

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libsox.so.3 /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libsox.so.2

Can i try something?

Edits:
The MD5sum from 3.015 is wrong. Can you check?
MD5sum of 3.014 is also wrong. -> Strange!

3.015 Looks not ok.
Problem 1: It does not see the other multiroom devices

Problem 2: Dac does again not work out of the box (error hw2,0: no such file or directory)
Problem solved by disabling “headphones” and snd-bcm2835.enable_compat_alsa=1 in cmdline.txt. It looks like volumio sends the output to the headphones (hw2,0) instead hifiberry (hw3,0).

It could be that chromium browser did not download and install during plugin installation. You might try to uninstall and reinstall the plugin. Please watch the logs for download (or other) errors occuring at this stage and post them or PM me.

I will setup a new Buster system with the current image soon (hopefully today) and have a look.

I will check!
Before with 3.014 it was ok.
Edit:
Works! Uninstall and reinstall did the trick! :sunglasses:
I can not edit my upper post. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Anyway, for problem 1: Other devices can find and control the 3.015, but 3.015 can not see the others.

1 Like

Hi,
I am on latest version. Dac topping e30 and qobuz. If I shutdown the e30 dac during qobuz playing then I have no sound if I start again the dac on qobuz. To hear the sound again I need to start a web radio station.

I have observed this behavior also on playing webradio and shutdown the dac then appear and error message : failed to. Open audio output. Turn on again the dac then start the same radio to play but nothing is heard. I need to switch to another radio or source in order to have sound again.

Another issue that I have observed is that I can not acess volumio.local . pls find the log SSH connection is ok
3.15_No_web_access.txt (4.1 KB)
Thanks

Looks like the volumio.service didn’t start – was this after your adventures with peppy meter? That would have reset you to the volumio master branch that doesn’t have the fixes for buster. Your best bet would be to reset and follow the instructions I posted there :slight_smile:

Hi @Darmur,
I don’t know if it could help you, on my side as a workaround for the missing card index, I added a snd-dummy board on index 1 to maintain the index 2 for my board.
For this:

1. in /etc/modules, add snd-dummy at the end
  2. in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf add options snd-dummy index=1 at the end

Hi Damien,

thanks for the hint, I am actually using another one workaround to have my DAC mapped correctly within Volumio. I will try yours as well.

Hi,

I am trying it…
i am not a developer but i have a discreet experience with linux…

I have tried to build from git
Debian 10 64bits from vmware virtual
I am facing problems building the img
(Pi / Armv8 / debian 10 64bits / v2.864)
Is there any log i can check?
The build.sh can work with debian10? Should i have to modify it?
I own 3 arm device
raspberry B 3
Raspberry B 4 (2gb ram)
Cubox i4pro

(I tried yesterday to build from jessie 32bits: it’s still ok with “arm and pi” options)

Nice work…

Hello ashthespy!
I’ve been running for nearly a week of version 3.15 and noticed.
it’s not good,
1-Error of not booting when installing the plugin,
2- do not receive the airplay, mconnet.
3- cannot scan hard drive containing music,
4- Slower starting speed 3.14.

Conclusion: 3.14 is better and runs smoothly! I love it!
However, the boot speed still depends on the large tag_cache file,
I use the 4 T music hard drive.
Thanks for your efforts!
Mac

Check out GitHub - volumio/Build at volumioOS – Still working on the documentation, but you should be able to build working Raspberry pi images on a Debian host rather easily :slight_smile: Do note that it will only build Buster images, for jesse, switch to the master branch on the same repo…
Do let me know if something doesn’t work.

That is not going to work, you will have to modify the scripts for 64bit and proper armv8 support. Currently we are trying to target a single image for all raspberry pi’s so it is on armhf and 32bit…

Can you send logs?