Not quite, it’s currently not native supported, but you can do it via Berryboot.
You’ll still need a SD card to boot form, but the original Volumio image can run from USB.
- Volumio Pi image as a squashfs image
- The USB drive you want to install Volumio on
- a 2nd one to hold the volumio.img file
- Berryboot (older version, so it supports rpi2/3/4 and 32 bit)
Please google for how berryboot works, load a custom image from USB etc.
Not sure if Volumio is looking for support questions as things might not work out of the box.
If they are OK with it, I will create a tutorial.
I’ve tested it and it’s booting. Setup run without any issues. Didn’t do much testing.
- Audio jack not recognized (only HDMI)
- Haven’t been able to test an USB DAC, seems the Pi can’t deliver enough power.