Volumio as a DNLA Renderer only?

Hey all,

I have just ordered a Raspberry Pi 2 so I can give Volumio a go.

I do have a couple of questions that maybe someone can help me with.

Firstly, I plan to us the Pi and Volumio as a DNLA renderer only. I.E not use Volumio as a music database if that makes sense. I want to continue to use my Synology and Audio Station as my music server and use the Audio Station app to play music as it supports playing to a DNLA renderer. Will this work?

And secondly, assuming the answer to the above is yes. Will I be able to stream DSD files (the Synology/Audio Station supports streaming DSD files)

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Guy

Hi!
No problem to use your Volumio as DLNA render ! Even if I had never test Audio Station :wink:
For the dsd, don’t know…
Let us known the result !

Hey,

I setup the Pi and Volumio and it works perfectly :smiley:

I have the Pi connected to the network via Ethernet and to my Denon DA300USB Dac via USB.

I have my music stored on my Synology DS414 NAS and can use the Synology Audio Station app to play/send music to the Pi/Volumio to play via the DAC.

Works flawlessly and does indeed support DSD streaming and playback :smiley:

Using the Audio Station app for iOS is great for browsing and playing music to devices like DNLA renderers and as a bonus you can download music to the iDevice for offline playback when out and about. Much better than most iOS DNLA app that, for the most part, aren’t that great!

Guy