I recently completed my own DIY Volumio installation inspired by some of the threads here and thought I’d share mine as well.
The hardware is a RPI 3B with the allo Kali and Piano 2.1 heads which were in an acrylic case. In addition there was a much larger linear power supply. The setup was standing at the TV board but didn’t really look appealing especially since there were cables at three sides of the RPI plugged in making it kinda messy. I thought of putting the RPI and the PSU into one case and looked for something suitable which I found at the bay searching for DIY amp cases. A simple aluminium case out of 6 pieces and some screws. It’s not very high quality but it’s fitting the needs and allows enough modifications to put in what was needed.
First I started dissassembling the old RPI case as well as the PSU and started mounting both at the bottom plate with some distance screws. On the outside I ground the tips of the screws even to the nuts.
The hardest part was cutting out the holes for the Ethernet and USB ports. Since I don’t have a CNC machine I had to rely on a drill a Dremel and some files. The result was satisfying enough. The power socket was already built in and didn’t require any work except soldering.
Since the RCA connectors of the Piano DAC face another direction than the RPI ports I had to build in some new RCA connectors at the back plate as well.
By the way does anyone have tips on how to label such connectors (“R” and “L”) on aluminium? Engraving by hand seems to be the only suitable idea at the moment. I’d rather like to have printed descriptions like on regular amps though.
Internally I had to connect the new RCA connectors with the DAC of course and allo might be upset with doing some soldering on their board.
On the front panel I drilled the hole of the PSU power button. I also ordered a custom Volumio label to make the front more appealing. However something was missing. I wanted to have some LEDs at the front to show me the status of the new network player. I had in mind one for the general power status, a additional one for Volumio UI readiness and another one indicating activity like active music playback.
For this I purchased some 2V LEDs and 680Ohm resistors to connect those to the remaining GPIO pins allo made available at the top of the Piano DAC. With some connecting wires (and allo might dislike this again as I had to bend the pins due to lack of space at the top) I connected everything and found out that there is already the GPIO Control plugin which spared me from scripting work I was afraid of having to do.
After configuring the plugin everything runs fine as expected. The right LED indicates power being connected to the PSU directly, the center indicates Volumio readiness and the left one indicates music playback. In general I’m quite happy with the overall result considering that this project was mostly initiated out of boredom however with some additional tools like a stand drill I could have gotten the positions of the front panel LEDs more accurate but it’s barely visible. Hope you like it!