Volumio and DSD

Hello
I noticed one thing and I don’t know what to think about it, maybe volumio doesn’t send the DSD signal to the amplifier, but only on the picture in the interface it shows that it is?. My Pioneer during playback shows me that the supplied signal at the input is ordinary PCM and not DSD - as shown by volumio in the interface.
Pioneer screenshots show it:

Intrigued by this fact, I connected the Daphile to Pioneer and played the same track as with volumio, and what did Pioneer show? - see for yourself…

Why doesn’t volumio send the DSD signal to the amplifier?

1 Like

Why don’t you tell us which platform you are running Volumio on and which DAC you are talking about? You could also ssh into Volumio and do an

lsusb

while your DAC is connected, or generate a log file and give us the url.

That would make it easier to give a correct answer as DSD is not something Volumio has full control over.
It depends on which kernel is running as each DSD-direct capable DAC needs to have its usb interface registered in the usb audio driver.
With your symptoms it is likely that this did not happen and Daphile is perhaps using a kernel which does support it.

sorry, oversight - both volumio and daphile servers are on twin machines - this is a Lenovo ThinkCenter I3 x86

as I have the E30 Topping DAC connected to the volumio, the DAC displays the correct signal, but then I can only play stereo so they are connected with an HDMI cable to Pioneer and I use the DAC in the pioneer - then I can play 5.1 and Dolby Atmos files because I have them too using the built-in DAC from Pioneer
http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/4ZT3O5Y.html
nothing is connected to usb now so lubb shows nothing
only HDMI and ethernet connection

Volumio ---------HDMI —Pioneer—HDMI—TV

and a little note - maybe I’m wrong, but I read that this version should have full HDMI CEC support, but it’s not, it doesn’t turn on the devices either at the start of playback or at startup, and when searching for CEC devices, the result is none

volumio@volumio:~$ echo ‘scan’ | cec-client -s -d 1
autodetect FAILED
volumio@volumio:~$

1 Like

HDMI does not do DSD, max. bitrate is 192Khz

then why is it showing DSD??

with USB DAC shows well DSD format and type (2.8 , 5.6 , 11.2)

1 Like

That’s what the file says it is, it is then resampled to 192Khz.

1 Like

I understand, thanks

1 Like

if and when do you plan to transfer DSD via DLNA? and what about the CEC?

1 Like

Where does it say that Volumio on x86 has full HDMI CEC support?
I’m not even sure, whether CEC has been activated in our x86_amd64 kernel.

Edit: it has been activated.

2 Likes

CEC Volume Control via HDMI - Help and Support / Help - Volumio

error - error - I’ll look for it right now

I have not seen anything being announced in the changelog. You may have to ask the Core Team, I can’t answer that.

this was talking about rpi, but does the versions and functionality vary by platform?

No, they are identical

1 Like

so the current version is from December 2022 - after the date from the post about half a year later released, so this is probably the next version that was supposed to have CEC - that’s how I understand it

correct, “probably” but not guaranteed. I guess there were more important things to solve and it was not CEC’s turn yet.
People should enter things like that as a Feature Request, then it is on a list.

It may be clear from other replies, but just to re-state it, Volumio sends DSD to Linux, so as far as Volumio is concerned, it is sending DSD. If Linux is configured to play DSD on your specific DAC, then the DAC gets DSD. If not, Linux translates the DSD to PCM. My DACs, for example, can only use “native” DSD (a bit-stream) from the Windows ASIO driver. Since Linux kernels generally don’t support a usable ASIO driver, I have to use DoP (DSD over PCM), which is recognized as DSD by my DACs. So you have to also look at how you DAC is capable of accepting DSD: a bit-stream or DoP, and via which Linux drivers,

It is not “Linux” that converts DSD to PCM, that is done my the MPD daemon.

There is a lot of misunderstanding about DSD and linux support.
Each DAC capable of DSD must be registered in the usb audio driver. It is the audio driver, which will tell the requesting component at runtime, whether the DAC is capable of playing DSD direct or not.
Whether a DAC is supported or not, depends on the platform you run Volumio on. With the PI and Tinkerboard, Volumio relies on the kernels delivered by Raspberry and Asus.
For x86 we have a little more flexibility as we compile the kernel ourselves and can add a DAC when its vendor and product id is supplied.
You can read the id’s when the DAC is connected by logging in via SSH and doing an

lsusb

(or by supplying a log).