Volumio 3: USB CD Drive compatability

Hi, I have an Apple USB CD drive that I use with my Mac Mini for burning copying CD’s to storage. Will this or any other USB CD drive work with V3 on a R Pi 4? is an unpublished plug in required?

Apple SuperDrive works out of the box with RPi4 (+ payed Volumio subscription)

Have a search … there was a fairly recent post here about cd drive compatibility.

Thanks for the reply. I must be doing something wrong. The pi doesn’t not recognize the drive.

Still have issues with getting CD player to work, player will not accept disk. USB does not appear to recognize USB drive , running Manifest, premium subscription plan (works fine on other devices). Does the drive need to be connected when the initial firmware load take place? BTW: the drive worked with the hardware prior to V3 release. Ant help is appreciated.

Best thing to do now: start with the CD unplugged, boot your PI, plug in the CD player and then create a system log.
Howto: Send a log
Please post the link to the log file here.

A belated thank you for your reply. I’ll create the log as you suggested. In the meantime I hooked up a USB drive to the Pi-4 and have the CD hooked to a separate MAC which saves to the USB drive. The volumio software indexes and plays the music files just fine. Thanks again…

I have the same issue and uploaded a log.

John

log
Starting Live Log…
pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
info: touch_display: Using Xserver unix domain socket /tmp/.X11-unix/X0
info: touch_display: Setting screensaver timeout to 120 seconds.
volumio : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/journalctl -p 7
pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
info: Log sent successfully, reply: {“status”:“OK”,“link”:“http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/J2OKgtG.html”}
info: CALLMETHOD: system_controller system enableLiveLog true
info: CoreCommandRouter::executeOnPlugin: system , enableLiveLog
info: Launching a new LiveLog session
usb 1-1.1: USB disconnect, device number 5
usb 1-1.1: new high-speed USB device number 6 using xhci_hcd
usb 1-1.1: New USB device found, idVendor=05ac, idProduct=1500, bcdDevice= 2.02
usb 1-1.1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
usb 1-1.1: Product: MacBook Air SuperDrive
usb 1-1.1: Manufacturer: Apple Inc.
usb 1-1.1: SerialNumber: KWEC8S25904
usb-storage 1-1.1:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
scsi host0: usb-storage 1-1.1:1.0
Process ‘/usr/bin/sg_raw /dev/1-1.1 EA 00 00 00 00 00 01’ failed with exit code 1.
Process ‘/usr/bin/sg_raw /dev/1-1.1:1.0 EA 00 00 00 00 00 01’ failed with exit code 1.
Process ‘/usr/bin/sg_raw /dev/host0 EA 00 00 00 00 00 01’ failed with exit code 1.
Process ‘/usr/bin/sg_raw /dev/host0 EA 00 00 00 00 00 01’ failed with exit code 1.
scsi 0:0:0:0: CD-ROM Apple SuperDrive 2.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0
Process ‘/usr/bin/sg_raw /dev/target0:0:0 EA 00 00 00 00 00 01’ failed with exit code 1.
Process ‘/usr/bin/sg_raw /dev/0:0:0:0 EA 00 00 00 00 00 01’ failed with exit code 1.
sr 0:0:0:0: Power-on or device reset occurred
sr 0:0:0:0: [sr0] scsi3-mmc drive: 24x/24x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0
sr 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 5
Process ‘/usr/bin/sg_raw /dev/sr0 EA 00 00 00 00 00 01’ failed with exit code 1.
Process ‘/usr/bin/sg_raw /dev/sg0 EA 00 00 00 00 00 01’ failed with exit code 1.
Process ‘/usr/bin/sg_raw /dev/0:0:0:0 EA 00 00 00 00 00 01’ failed with exit code 1.
info: CoreCommandRouter::volumioGetState
info: CorePlayQueue::getTrack 0
info: Clearing queue from CD entries
info: CoreCommandRouter::volumioPushQueue
info: CoreCommandRouter::volumioRemoveToBrowseSourcesAudio CD
info: CoreCommandRouter::executeOnPlugin: my_music , getDisabledSources
Cannot find translation for sourceMedia Servers
Cannot find translation for sourceTIDAL
info: CoreCommandRouter::executeOnPlugin: my_volumio , getMyVolumioStatus
info: Refreshing TIDAL token
info: TIDAL Access Token successfully retrieved

Sorry, please re-visit the documentation,
You are supposed to post the url to the logfile here after sending.

http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/dQUSuK8.html

It fails to turn on the Superdrive with the “magic” code.
There has been a previous report see Superdrive and powered USB hub.
Make sure the PI can deliver enough power, try it on a USB 3 port or use a powered hub.

It is on a USB-3 (blue) port. This worked under Volumio 2.x with Nanosound CD.

john

I just ordered a powered USB hub to see if it helps…Due to arrive on 1/7.

I have slightly changed the topic title to include Volumio 3

Any updates on this?

I gave up trying. I bought a USB powered HUB, no change. For now, Ill just continue ripping the CDs in my MAC and drop the files in a shared folder. -Mitch

my experience mirrors yours @mikane

I bought a LG external drive at Best Buy and it ‘worked.’ That is, Volumio saw it and played it but it repeatedly dropped the music. I tried multiple CDs and they all played suboptimally. I am guessing this is a feature that is not exactly fully supported. For now, I am returning the drive and hoping either Volumio fixes the issue or Nanosource updates their plugin for Volumio 3.

1 Like