Volumio 3 Roon Bridge install failure

No that would’ve just been the next step from me if it still didn’t work after deleting all the stragglers. But if it’s working for you then it’s all good. I assume you can see artwork and metadata when you play tracks from Roon now?

I use the TV:Remote app on my AppleTV to see what’s Playing Now while using the Roon Bridge. I did switch to the Volumio Playing Now screen with the Pi’s HDMI port connected to my TV with the enabled the Touch Display plugin. However that display does not pick up the Roon Bridge connection. I do have the “Now Playing” plugin installed and when I browse to it on port 4004, it does not show artwork and meta data from the Roon Bridge connection either. It does show the correct artwork and meta data when I start music from Qobuz or Volumio. Hope that answers your question.

Ah I see. Then the plugin is not installed correctly. You aren’t supposed to simply run the install.sh script in isolation. I have no idea how you’re able to control the RoonBridge service from inside Volumio, because all you’ve actually done is install the Roon bridge service. When you run “volumio plugin install” from inside the downloaded volroon directory it will set everything up correctly. This is obviously still not the correct way and it is meant for advanced users as when the plugin is released for testing or eventually a stable version, it would be available in the plugin store.

Okay, my newbie is showing. :wink: I’ll keep watch for the update and try that command. It would be nice to have the artwork display for the Roon Bridge on the Volumio display.

Haha. Well the metadata and artwork does work…just run the installer :upside_down_face:

I did run the installer and the Artwork appears… but only when I disable the I2S DAC and use the USB connection to my Schiit Modi 3 DAC. When I enable I2S and set it to use the JustBoom Digi Hat I have installed, I loose the playing now display updates when connected to the volroon (roon bridge) device.

I did remove, cleanup and reinstall volroon several times to see if that corrected it. I also removed and reinstalled the Touch Display and Now Playing plugins which did not affect the behavior.

Is this a known issue?

That is interesting. Now it’s a known issue :relaxed: I’ll dig out my hifiberry and see if I can replicate the issue. It sounds like using an I2S DAC bypasses some of the volroon code. Thanks for letting me know.

Hey @birdietwin,
I’ve made a small change to see if it works for you when using I2S Dac’s. I’m unable to test it at the moment because of another unrelated volumio/sdcard bug that seems to be causing my Pi to crash even if I don’t have my plugin installed. Please download the latest from Git and refresh the plugin and let me know. Obviously after you’ve refreshed using the “volumio plugin refresh” command, you can restart volumio by typing “volumio vrestart”.

About plugin. There is a fondamentale wrong approach. A plugin should never talk directly to audio hardware.
The only allowed audio output is 'volumio '. Ex

aplay -d volumio

The main advantage is

• don’t have to know which hardware is used
  • access to all volumio audio features:
    Multiroom
    DSP with FusionDsp
    Mpd_oled

And the only way to expect to see your plugin in the store…
    Thanks

Hi @balbuze,
I don’t know what you are talking about. My plugin doesn’t talk to the audio hardware directly anywhere. All I have done is read metadata from Roon. The RoonBridge daemon is exactly the same daemon as the original Roon Bridge plugin. If something is wrong with that approach then Roon Bridge should be removed from the store because that plugin works the same way.

The plugin comes from volumio2.
I was not clear… I think there is no need to detect output device name or card as the only output should be 'volumio '.
In this case it is just detection, but useless.
I don’t use Room, and I only had a quick look at your plugin. But when I saw ‘i2s’ I react :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Ah I see. I know what you mean about the only output should be “Volumio”. But…my outputdevicename and outputdevicecardname variables in there are required on my side simply because I’ve chosen to “auto-detect” the zone that Roon is playing to. If you don’t use Roon then you probably don’t know that when you choose your “endpoint”, Roon allows you to choose a name for it but the actual name that it uses for ID is the outputdevicename for USB DAC’s and outputdevicecardname for the I2S DACs (based on how Volumio assigned the ID/name). I’m only doing it to avoid users having to go into a Volumio menu and choose the zone they are listening to to show them the metadata.

Your developer docs say we must make it easy for users! So I am :wink:

I tested the update and unfortunately I see no change in behavior. I did double check that the update code was correctly installed. I even uninstalled and resinstalled the updated volroon plugin, just to be sure. The music plays over I2S, but there’s no artwork update either in kiosk mode or with the “Now Playing” plugin enabled. When I disable I2S and plug a USB cable into the DAC, the artwork displays.

Let me know if you have any additional changes to try.

Thanks, please send me a screenshot of what you see in Roon when you have the I2S DAC selected and you’ve clicked on the device to configure it. It will show the name that you can edit and right below it it will state the “device” name or similar.

The device name is Volumio Red Roon Bridge as shown on the clipping. It’s an ALSA device. The audio device been identified as a Schiit Modi, but before I identified the audio device it show the “unidentified device” as snd_rpi_justboom_digi.

Hope this helps

Another update. I noticed as I was changing the Audio Output settings in Volumio what appears to be an inconsistent Output Device dropdown listing when I switch the I2S DAC setting to Off. When I first switch it to off I see three entries:

After selecting USB: Schiit Modi 3, when I click the dropdown again the list also includes snd_rpi_justboom_digi.

This is new behavior since the update you provided.

I can also select snd_rpi_justboom_digi and music will stream over that connection… and the artwork displays on the kiosk and Now Playing.

Not sure how this is working, but it is?!

Thanks for the screenshots.

That weird functionality you’re is actually nothing to do with my plugin, I noticed it doing exactly the same thing on my side while I had a fresh install with absolutely no plugins enabled at all. It seems to be a bug in Volumio. Like I said to @balbuze earlier, my plugin doesn’t touch the audio hardware/software.

I’ve made an update to the Zone checking logic so please try that new one from my personal repo: https://github.com/charliesjc/volroon.

Here’s my screenshots with the same problem. Incidentally, this is what caused my Volumio to stop booting the last 2 days, I can only imagine it’s something to do with loading the overlay. Mine would crash and stop booting if I switched from Hifiberry back to USB:

My 2 cents hypothesis…
Roon block the audio hardware. Then volumio can’t find/use it…
Even roon should use 'volumio ’ as audio output.
As I said, I don’t use it, so it is just hypothesis…

I agree with you. Except there is no way to do this with the way Roon provides their bridge software. You would need access to their code to stop it taking over the audio device and route it through Volumio (I imagine through AAMP would be desirable). Maybe Volumio will eventually do this, considering all their marketing material advertises Roon Bridge functionality, even though it doesn’t comply with their vision of being the controller of the audio device.

@balbuze, what do you expect to see when you type aplay -d ‘volumio’ ? Because that doesn’t work, and never in any of my Volumio installs has there ever been a device called ‘volumio’.

It was a incomplete example using 'volumio ’ as output.
A full cmd would be

aplay -D volumio -c2 mywavfile