Volumio 3 RC1 - Open Beta Testing

Just a had a little test run and I’m really impressed on the speed improvement, the V3 is coming with, great job on that.

There seems to be same issue what was there with V2 also thought, you cannot select hifiberry Digi+ Pro from i2c dropdown or you get no sound. Have to select snd_hifiberry_digi(?) From the drop down menu instead after deactivating i2c dac.

I’ll provide the logs later since the test was done while driving to work.

Oh and really nice to see the EQ baked in.

3 Likes

An issue I have is when I play albums from my NAS disk, I am perfectly able to start playing an album by clicking the album title.
But I am not able to play a song by selecting the song in the list of songs in the album.

Version: Volumiobuster-3.111-2021-10-08-x86_amd64

Thanks,
Bjørn

1 Like

Volumio is scanning my NAS (from the Fritzbox) But Artists, Albums and so on stay on zero.
Under Music Library I see the NAS and the folders, but no music files.
No Artists, no Albums and no Genres.

1 Like

May I ask how you got the Hifiberry Digi Pro+ working?

What happens here:
Hifiberry Digi Pro+ = alsa error
Hifiberry DAC with i2s off = sound but with crackling noise
Generic i2s = same as above

• Select the hifiberry from I2C list.
  • disable I2C DAC with the switch.
  • select headphones or HDMI and save.
  • wait a moment.
  • select snd_hifiberry instead of the headphones/HDMI and save.

It should work then, at least on PI4 this prodesure is needed to get it working.

For the crackling make sure you are not feeding too high resolution audio to the hifiberry or it will do that, i think the ic in it tops at 24/96 or so.

1 Like

Thanks, great workaround. Finally! The crackling noise was there whether I was playing something or not but now it’s gone.

1 Like

I don’t remember what i did, but it had to be something like this… just klicking around without a plan…

In settings>playback options>general playback option>playback mode set this to single (default is continuous) otherwise itll add all the tracks from the album to the queue regardless of whether you select an indiviual track or not

Multiroom is working well.
And yes - i like it very much.

Should be mentioned that the PI, where you configure the group is becoming the “sender”.

What you should not do currently is:

If you try to start a internet radio on the “receiver” device the GUI dies and removing the device from the group does not work. Restart required.

With activated DSP plugin it crashes the “receiver” PI’s UI. This can be “healed” by ungrouping the devices. No restart required.

Hello. Can you elaborate. What do you mean crashes PI’s UI?
Yes, if you activate the plugin, you need to ingroup and group again to update the config.

1 Like

i cannot reach the UI anymore - only spinning wheel.
The plugins had been activated before grouping (at this test).

So the problem is not specific to FusionDsp, right?

i did more tests

• seems not to be specific to FusionDSP - sorry.
    After starting another internet radio station and switching back to the one before it is working.
  • seems to have more to do with the behavior that i described before, that internet radio stations sometimes have to be clicked twice before sound is played (nothing to do with FusionDSP and Multiroom) - and with the fact that doing too much on the receivers UI it hangs up. (only setting the Volume never caused an issue).

I think some functions on the receiver should be “greyed out” while it is in “receiver mode” or do an automatic ungroup as soon as another source is selected on the “receiver”.

Is there a DSP that work with the raspberry pi zero? Install error says armv6 not supported.

Im having a test with the fusion dsp, seems a very nice addon, but…when using the parametric eq.

Im using peaking Hz,Db,Q, enter the values separated by comma works fine, its when I use the highshelf Hz,Db,Q or lowshelf Hz,Db,Q it complains that “missing bandwidth in db/Octave”, values were entered in the same way as using the peaking Hz,Db,Q

If this is the wrong place to be discussing the dsp i apologise.

I’m going to create a specific theard for FusiinDsp to not pollute this one. We will discuss there.

Please post on this thread for Volumio 3 Beta and FusionDSP.

2 Likes

Pi 4 to SMSL 8Su USB DAC. Thanks for putting new release out in beta…

Here is what I have noticed:

• Seems more stable
  • Takes longer to boot up and the screen plug in takes much longer to boot up,
  • Seems to have fixed the problem where Qobuz skips to next song after it has been paused
  • The DSD setting seems to be backwards. When you turn on DSD Direct the DAC converts to PCM but when you use DSD over PCM then it displays DSD accordingly. This seems to be backwards. Still works but in reverse.

That is all for now.

1 Like

Please add a link to the v3 documentation to the top post.

Hello Volumio heroes
The new Volumio 3.x is really much better than the 2.x version. The stability is much better, even after several days the system is still stable and fast. That is a point that I very much appreciate.
From my point of view, version 3.x no longer needs the little word “beta”. :smile:
Quite simply, I practically only use Internet radio, Qobuz and sometimes my Flacs on my NAS.
RPI2, RPI3, Allo BOSS, HifiBerry DAC Pro + XLR and sometimes even RPI (1) with HifiBerry DAC. :smile:
So far I have hardly used any other plug-ins, but I think it’s fantastic that they exist, the new FusionDSP is an asset to the plug-in collection.

Thank you very much to everyone who drives Volumio! :+1: :muscle:

I have an Allo USBridge Signature. I’ve experimented with this and another OS that seems to be going in a similar direction. The other OS only supports Tidal via UPnP(I got Volumio specifically for Tidal Connect), but offers “64 bit driver support for the Allo USBridge Sig”. Is 64 bit for USBridge something you’ll be doing?

2 Likes