Volumio 3 RC1 - Open Beta Testing

I’m giving a Volumio build based on a NanoSound 1 DAC to a friend from Christmas, I didn’t know 3.0 had been released until I checked that I had installed the latest release… The update when fairly smoothly with one BIG exception for me.

Apparently access to the plugin “store” now requires you to login into MyVolumio. Since this is a present I didn’t want to do that. Without the NanoSound 1 plugin I couldn’t get any sound output.

Since I’m a nerd (and new plugin author) I was able to install the needed plugin manually and my present is now ready to wrap up and send.

I do appreciate all of the hard work Volumio puts into the project and I will probably create a paid Volumio account to support the project. However I think the decision to require a Volumio account to access plugins via the “store” is a mistake change should be revisited.

Anyway thanks for the Great product and making it open source!

Skip

I was really hoping Volumio 3 would fix all of the issues i had with 2. Nothing but constant freezing and when it does freeze, I have to reflash to get to work again so I can’t ever grab a log. Oh well, back to RoPieeeXL for me.

Edit - Bought a new SD card and reflashed. So far no issues!!

Thank you, no I did (do) not find that reply. :slight_smile:

There are 2 aspects, however:

1. multi-room switched off does not work still (3.159) while logged as a Premium user:
  • switching off does not work until full restart (which is fine = OK)
  • after restart, Volumio attempts to play DSD dropping it after a few seconds - it attempts to update configuration instantly as the player keeps restarting (messages “Configuration update. Player successfully restarted”) - this does not happen when logged-off
    EDIT: Installed 3.165 - now there are no drop-outs, however limitation of PCM still remains - i.e. I have to log out from Premium account
  1. about switching off - my point was making a simply accessible button / option for multi-room:
  • e.g. available as a one-click option under Multi-Room icon (by Zones & Groups) for one-click switch
    You click to enable it when needed. One clock to disable and enjoy the sound.
  • currently, Multi-room is hidden under Sources - which takes several steps each time
    And it might take some guesswork (for instance, why not under Playback Options?). Of course, it can be under sources as well - depending on the UX perspective of different users (result = where the music is played back to //vs// origin = where it originates from).

Anyway, thanks and good lunch in fixing DSD - my best wishes.

When the DSP plugin is active (using a parametric eq), and when playing an album in Qobuz, after the first track of the album, the playing stops. The player seems to be re-playing the first track, however no sound is produced and the play/pause and other controls don’t work anymore. After restarting the client app I can control the playback again.

When disabling the DSP plugin, Volumio works normal, no problems.

I am running version 3.165.
FusionDSP version 0.1.13
I am using a Raspberry Pi and the Kali reclocker
Log: http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/taaQZAl.html

Yes, unfortunately you are right. This is an issue we are working on. Sorry for that

I really like the Volumio 3 version, in my configuration it works much faster than Volumio 2. I have 1 question - is there any timeline/estimate as to when the plugin store will include the plugins available for Volumio 2? Especially, the GPIO plugin? Thanks!

BTW, I also find the need for login into volumio account to be able to install plugin a big mistake. It limits my ability to distribute your product as part of a streamer I make and have people later decide for a paid version…

Tidal is working now ok. What an co-incidence, Tidal crashing 5 minutes after my Volumio update…
But for some reason DSD256 is clipping sound into pieces. DSD128 playing ok.
What is most important, sound quality is bueno!

display bug during initial setup:

if you use a custom name, the URL corrupts

To the team at Volumio, I know you hear mostly about problems here but we do appreciate the great new release and all the hard work :+1:

4 Likes

From my side congratulations and thanks to the team! Even for the very, very small amount of money for Premium it is great work!

1 Like

I’ve upgraded to Volumio 3 but it is now unable to find my 5Ghz Wifi network??

The new andoid app was just launched in the play store!

I would remove the md5 file from the pi image .zip. The raspberry pi imaging tool accepts .zip files, but if you fire it one with something other than only a pure .img within, it writes all files to the SD as files, rather than just the image, so the SD won’t run. maybe a flaw in the imaging tool, but can catch people out nonetheless.

personally i am not sure of the utility of an md5 file within the download. just print it on the download page.

2 Likes

Version 3.173 is just released into OTA. It fixes a bug where playback is interrupted by the bluetooth plugin. It also adds CD ripping to Manifest UI.

1 Like

I’m testing with my Samsung Galaxy M12. Volume control using the side buttons doesn’t work. If I remember well, it did work with the previous version…

@mervinio
Damn this OTA to V 3.173 update… all that is left on the boot partition is a folder called AV???

Seems related to a setting in the cmdline.txt to add support for an uSD extender. The update simply removes it, causing the reboot to fail. OTA V3.173 is the first one that corrupts the SD with this.!!!

I don’t mind if this happens during the Beta testing, but not with a final release.

Love the new app but I don’t like the thing that if you minimize it, for example to open another app, when you come back (after a few minutes) it remains with a black screen or, at best, it returns to the initial screen where you have to select the Volumio device.
I would expect it to remain active and, once reopened, come back to the screen with the song I’m listening to…

(All this on a Xiaomi smartphone with Android 11)

1 Like

Did you try to disable the power optimizing (in German it is “Akku Optimierung”, I do not know what it is in English). Just an idea…

1 Like

In English it is something to extend your battery capacity/life, Guess that it does the same in German :rofl:

1 Like

The app atleast for me does not show active notification, so its one of the first app’s system will put to deepsleep/kill. when it sees some cleanign is needed.

Disabling power savings can help the situation a bit, if your device does have plenty of ram memory.

for manufactor specific power saving stuff → https://dontkillmyapp.com/