Volumio 3 RC1 - Open Beta Testing

Same here, radio play button does not respond, I thought it was my phone. :slight_smile:

hmmm, when you say ā€œdoes not respondā€ could you retry after a fresh restart, press play and then just wait a few minutes. It seems I get this as well, but only on certain webradios, In Volumio selection, ā€œRadio Paradise flac+ā€ always works, but ā€œAbsolute Relaxā€ takes quite a while before it plays.
(Not saying it isnā€™t an issue to be solved, just trying to understand)

2 Likes

3.156 works great for me with the same setup. Maybe you can try that if the 3.152 does not work out.

1 Like

I reproduce it on 80s radio. I press play, the button becomes green but does not change the state , in order to play I need to switch the webradioā€¦
I have noticed that the UI acess from browser gets stuck edā€¦ I have now playing plugin installedā€¦ After volumio vrestart is ok again
http://logs.volumio.org/volumiobuster/uRwlgmq.html
Omg, it started to play after 2 minutesā€¦

@Mervinio can you comment, Iā€™ll help with x86 logs when needed (seems not to be platform related).
Can be reproduced on demand.

1 Like

Replying to myself :wink:
This appears no longer an issue with 3.156 on x86.

1 Like

Sorry too quick, I take that back.
Fast at first start, changing the radio channel, the same issue again, only that it does not take over a minute.
I will start debugging, but need backend volumio devs for help.

It is probably a station with variable bitrate. That is an mpd issue.

ah, quick answer. Could be. Anything that can be done?

1 Like

Upgrade mpd?

1 Like

Current version MPD in V3 RC1 is from July 2019 (0.21.11)ā€¦
The latest MPD is 0.23.4, from Nov 2021

1 Like

Just for testing purpose, you can update MPD using the unofficial repo.

@mervinio
Is there any plan to update the mpd? . Is quite annoying this behaviourā€¦ Almost in acceptabile.
Thanks.

Speaking of outdated softwareā€¦ Not only is mpd old, but also the nodeJS core Upgrade to NodeJS v16 LTS

And well, Buster itself is from 2019.
The current Debian stable version was released back in August ā€“ Debian -- News -- Debian 11 "bullseye" released and the Pi version more recently Bullseye - the new version of Raspberry Pi OS - Raspberry Pi

Earlier, this didnā€™t bother me much, I would just complain about all the outdated software and the scary security implications of running them on an internet connected device.
But now with the whole myVolumio ā†’ plugin store link, I will eventually have to go from self built up-to-date software back to stuff from 2019 :frowning:

I really wish the focus was more on software stability and security first, and new features/bugs later!

But finally, the end of Jessie (released 6 years back) is finally in sight, so I shouldnā€™t complain too much! :tada:

3 Likes

I believe this was tried,

And then reverted

I wonder whatā€™s the reason for reverting the commit.

From the first PR:

The version in buster is several years old and does not work when the multiroom is enabled (even when multiroom isnā€™t being used).

Which after some great debugging was determined to be a Pi, 5.10.x kernel bugā€¦Non-blocking ALSA audio is broken in kernel 5.10 Ā· Issue #4108 Ā· raspberrypi/linux Ā· GitHub

But I believe the main reason is covered towards the end in the discussion over at

In the end this issue with mpd and play button will be fixed? I can not use volumio in this case :frowning:

1 Like

I agree that relying on a third-party repo is not guaranteed to give you a stable build. Thatā€™s why I suggested this route just for testing purpose.

Now that a problem has been identified with the likely cause being MPD, letā€™s see whether the devs will compile the latest version from source and package it with Volumio.

2 Likes

I doubt whether this an mpd issue, the problem only showed in the last versions, I intend to reflash 3.076 as Iā€™m sure it was all working then. The mpd version has not changed.
Will let you knowā€¦

1 Like