Volumio 3 RC1 - Open Beta Testing

I have all three. Up to now I have concentrated on the DIGI2 Pro. I will first try Joni’s Fix first, if it doesn’t work I will try the DIGI+ Pro then the DIGI+ with both the ‘normal’ set up then the Fix.

DIGI2 Pro, V’ 3.139
I waited an hour and it did not change from HDMI and OFF, was that long enough ?

Usually it’s within minute or two for me and the option appears in the list(you have to select it manually), I’ve done multiple reflashes of volumio2 and 3, so i can safely say it will work for Digi+ pro atleast, but afaik Digi 2 should be similar enought to work with same driver as the first edition.

Did it again and checked the drop down box after 6 mins, just HDMI and Headphones.
I’ll change the DIGI2 for the DIGI+ Pro tomorrow and try again.

As I had another PI (RP4B) I put the DIGI+ Pro on that.
Set to Source to DIGI+ Pro
Tried playing Radio Paradise, ALSA error.
Turned off I2S DAC, waited 6 minutes, just HDMI and Headphones in the drop down.
Will try the DIGI+ next

I did:
select I2s and the HAT I have (Digi+ pro)
Rebooted
Switch I2s off
Select HDMI
Wait 20s
Select Hifiberry snd

Everything works

PI4B and DIGI+. V’ 3.139
Changed DAC setting to DIGI
Configuration pop up ran and Reboot request came up.
Rebooted.
Tried Radio Paradise and it played.

So was it the simpler, old, DIGI or the Reboot?
I’ll go back to the DIGI Pro and see if adding a Reboot makes any difference.

PI4B DIGI+ Pro V’3.139
DAC still set to DIGI
Tried playing Radio P’, ALSA error.
Changed DAC setting to DIGI+ Pro
Rebooted.
Tried playing Radio P’, ALSA error.
Turned Off I2S DAC
Waited 5 minutes. HDMI and Headphones only choices.
Rebooted.
HDMI and Headphones only choices.
Waited 5 minutes. HDMI and Headphones only choices.

So on my setup the newer boards don’t want to work with Volumio :disappointed:

I have the very same setup myself.

I’ll make a fresh install and get some logs tomorrow while i make it work, perhaps the devs can figure from the logs why it doesn’t work when selected from the i2c menu, and why it appears on the normal output selection later on and then starts to work.

This does not make any sense to me… Why are they working this way is a mystery…
Will get in touch to ask for some further testing on Hifiberry if that’s ok for you…

Probably, the best persons to help on this would be the Hifiberry people themself… If you guys can notify them and “put little pressure” on them, that will be also great :wink:

Just noticed that the high-bit ASCII characters are missing from the album/artist/track names in the getState API for Tidal tracks. Doesn’t seem to affect local / network tracks. This is with 3.139 and saw it with Blue Oyster Cult tracks (the O was missing from Tidal but not from the network share).

1 Like

i m on version 3.123 and i m trying to update to the latest from the check for updates but it stays on please wait. any idea?

1 Like

Don’t think it will get any clearer by mentioning this, but just to be complete: I am using a Magna Mano Ultra MKII which uses a RPI 3b+ in combination with a in house developed HAT. The HAT uses the same drivers as the Hifiberry Digi+ Pro in Volumio 2. And it works with the mentioned workaround, until reboot. After reboot I have to repeat the described process in order to make it work

I was mulling this over myself last night and it reminded me that a few weeks ago I found this on the HiFiBerry site. https://www.hifiberry.com/docs/software/configuring-linux-3-18-x/ (I tried all the suggestions and it made no difference for me.)
I don’t know much about Linux, just a few commands, but it made me wonder if the newer Berry boards are trying to self-configure and using the I2S selection in V’s UI is conflicting with it.
Could that be the reason @Joni_Salminen succeeds because he has not used the I2S switch and the Berry board does it? I think that as it comes back with snd_rpi_hifiberry_digi, which is the name of the driver, is suggesting that.
BTW is the list in I2S DACs actually DACs? Some are pure digital. Should it be labelled I2S HAT? Just a thought.

1 Like

I wonder if this is the key issue:

error: Could not load host key: /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key 
error: Could not load host key: /etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key 
error: Could not load host key: /etc/ssh/ssh_host_ecdsa_key 
fatal: No supported key exchange algorithms [preauth]

This error occurs when I try to connect an ssh client

1 Like

Hi,
At home, version 3 is better.
There are a lot of details, the vocals are beautiful. Maybe a little shine?
Well done

Though, there is an issue with the elapsed time display. On Bubbleupnp, the time remains at 0 and when I switch back to the Volumio application the time starts again from 0 while the song is in progress.

1 Like

Hi,
Volumio 3.139, whatever hardware.

It seems that Volumio doesn’t get on well with float audio format. Here follows an example: a file in float format is playing correctly through Volumio resampler (48kHz, 16bit). However, Volumio erroneously says that the audio source is 32bit instead of float:

volumio@volumio:~$ volumio status
{
  "status": "play",
  "position": 2,
  "title": "MORNING CARE: INSOMNIA EDITION. a live ambient instrumental meditation",
  "artist": "Andy Othling",
  "album": "",
  "albumart": "/albumart?cacheid=629&web=Andy%20Othling//extralarge&path=%2FUSB&metadata=false",
  "uri": "mnt/USB/MORNING CARE_ INSOMNIA EDITION. a live ambient instrumental meditation (128kbit_AAC).m4a",
  "trackType": "m4a",
  "seek": 191081,
  "duration": 11948,
  "samplerate": 44.1,
  "bitdepth": "32 bit",
  "channels": 2,
  "random": null,
  "repeat": null,
  "repeatSingle": false,
  "consume": false,
  "volume": 90,
  "dbVolume": null,
  "disableVolumeControl": false,
  "mute": false,
  "stream": "m4a",
  "updatedb": false,
  "volatile": false,
  "service": "mpd"
}
volumio@volumio:~$ /bin/echo "status" | /usr/bin/socat - UNIX-CONNECT:/var/run/mpd/socket
OK MPD 0.21.11
volume: 100
repeat: 0
random: 0
single: 0
consume: 0
playlist: 3
playlistlength: 1
mixrampdb: 0.000000
state: play
song: 0
songid: 1
time: 195:11948
elapsed: 195.335
bitrate: 127
duration: 11947.735
audio: 44100:f:2
OK
volumio@volumio:~$

I know that float audio files are rare, but they do exist, and MPD supports them.

:wave: :wave:

But float files are 32 bit. Its probably just a naming thing.

It’s true, they are the same size, but they are completely different and should be labelled for what they are, not for their size.

3.146 is there. Is it intended for general use/testing? Just asking because of the warning. (Qobuz user here).

1 Like