Volumio 3 RC1 - Open Beta Testing

ah, quick answer. Could be. Anything that can be done?

1 Like

Upgrade mpd?

1 Like

Current version MPD in V3 RC1 is from July 2019 (0.21.11)…
The latest MPD is 0.23.4, from Nov 2021

1 Like

Just for testing purpose, you can update MPD using the unofficial repo.

@mervinio
Is there any plan to update the mpd? . Is quite annoying this behaviour… Almost in acceptabile.
Thanks.

Speaking of outdated software… Not only is mpd old, but also the nodeJS core Upgrade to NodeJS v16 LTS

And well, Buster itself is from 2019.
The current Debian stable version was released back in August – Debian -- News -- Debian 11 "bullseye" released and the Pi version more recently Bullseye - the new version of Raspberry Pi OS - Raspberry Pi

Earlier, this didn’t bother me much, I would just complain about all the outdated software and the scary security implications of running them on an internet connected device.
But now with the whole myVolumio → plugin store link, I will eventually have to go from self built up-to-date software back to stuff from 2019 :frowning:

I really wish the focus was more on software stability and security first, and new features/bugs later!

But finally, the end of Jessie (released 6 years back) is finally in sight, so I shouldn’t complain too much! :tada:

3 Likes

I believe this was tried,

And then reverted

I wonder what’s the reason for reverting the commit.

From the first PR:

The version in buster is several years old and does not work when the multiroom is enabled (even when multiroom isn’t being used).

Which after some great debugging was determined to be a Pi, 5.10.x kernel bug…Non-blocking ALSA audio is broken in kernel 5.10 · Issue #4108 · raspberrypi/linux · GitHub

But I believe the main reason is covered towards the end in the discussion over at

In the end this issue with mpd and play button will be fixed? I can not use volumio in this case :frowning:

1 Like

I agree that relying on a third-party repo is not guaranteed to give you a stable build. That’s why I suggested this route just for testing purpose.

Now that a problem has been identified with the likely cause being MPD, let’s see whether the devs will compile the latest version from source and package it with Volumio.

2 Likes

I doubt whether this an mpd issue, the problem only showed in the last versions, I intend to reflash 3.076 as I’m sure it was all working then. The mpd version has not changed.
Will let you know…

1 Like

Maybe… But why not going with latest stable mpd release…

Indeed, I personally feel it’s a bit more nuanced.

Packaging such things is one of those annoying tasks that is a chore, and can at times be fiddly with all the dependencies – but there are people who specifically do this - package maintainers. For some it’s even a full time job!

On the other hand, you have to remember that Volumio's (at least right now) has essentially only a few full time developers/maintainers, with a few more evening/weekend volunteers/contributors.

For this small team, you have a large task list of software that need maintaining:
– multiple architectures/devices (x86, tinkerboard, pi, Volumio hardware)
– multiple OS versions (“stable” Jessie + “beta” buster)
– Volumio-backend
– multiple Volumio-UI interfaces (Classic, Contemporary, Premium)
– and all the myVolumio cloud wizardry
– pluginstore

When you decide to take on package bundling and maintenance as well – you probably end up in a situation where you do it once, and then just “live with it”.

Case in point - I was just looking at when this entire Jessit → Stretch → Buster journey began.
Building for Debian buster (10) · Issue #388 · volumio/Build · GitHub

We are now 2+ years (and a lot of shinny new features) down the line, but still discussing/debugging release bugs, pointing out that it possibly comes from this outdated bundled MPD.

In the end I fear we (plausibility) spend more time chasing quirks and implementing workarounds in the core software for bugs that werecould be fixed upstream.

In the end, there is always a balance to be found between stability, maintainability and features/performance. And again please remember this a small team, of few full time developers/maintainers with some help from volunteers.

<end rambling rant :smiley:>

Of course, can’t really complain.

Ah, sorry if it came across that way didn’t mean to imply you were :slight_smile:

I was just using your comment as an opportunity to push my (not-so-secret) agenda of secure, stable software :smiley:

Now that I know what to test: verified 3.077 and no, it did not work there either. Sorry for the noise.

In the play queue, using RadioParadise plugin, the name of the radio does not appear, the theme, album and artist appear.
It seems to me that it would be more useful if it only shows the name of the station.

Hi there,
3.152 works fine here (X86) for at least
Uptime: 1 days, 20 Hrs, 17 Minutes, 59 Seconds
I often switch between webradio, local lib, tidal (Volumio UI as well as Tidal Connect)
Everything’s working fine and stable here.
Cheers,
Robert
Log: http://logs.volumio.org/volumiobuster/0z4Drdh.html

System Information plugin:
System Information

OS info

Version of Volumio: 3.152
Hostname: smx
Kernel: 5.10.70
Governor: performance
Uptime: 1 days, 20 Hrs, 17 Minutes, 59 Seconds

Audio info

Hw audio configured: SPDIF
Mixer type: None
Number of channels:
Supported sample rate: 

Board info

Manufacturer:
Model:
Version:
Firmware Version: - 

CPU info

Brand: Celeron® J3455
Speed: 1.5Ghz
Number of cores: 4
Physical cores: 4
Average load: 50%
Temperature: 52°C

Memory info

Memory: 3879972 Ko
Free: 1818968 Ko
Used: 2061004 Ko

Storage info

INTERNAL storage - Size: 25955Mo
Used: 351Mo
Available for storage: 24262Mo (93%)

Hi,
a minor detail I saw: during tidal connect playback of a tidal favourite track the “favourite heart” symbol is shown in the tidal app but not in the volumio web UI
Cheers,
Robert
Tidal Screenshot:

Volumio UI Screenshot: