Volumio 3 Plugin migration status

Tracking the status of migrating plugins for Volumio 3.
– Some categories where changed, so plugins might be found else where.
– Some plugins will work with some node_modules rebuilding (mostly all GPIO stuff)
– Other plugins that involve audio playback will need rework for AAMP

For plugin developers

Please have a look at new docs – Writing a plugin | Volumio Developers Documentation
and if you have issues – Volumio 3 Plugins store issues and discussion

Music Services

Miscellanea

System Tools

Accessories

User Interface

8 Likes

nice overview!

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: GPIO Plugins - Differences

For people who want to help authors migrate

This will probably break your system - and IS NOT RECOMMENDED for normal users.
This is only for people who are willing to debug and help plugin devs migrate.

# Find your plugin zip package from the old repo
# For Example say "RADIO 357"
p_name="Radio 357"
curl -sL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/volumio/volumio-plugins/gh-pages/plugins/volumio/armhf/plugins.json | grep "$p_name"  -B 5
#   {
#    "prettyName": "RADIO 357",
#    "icon": "fa-lightbulb-o",
#    "name": "rad357pl",
#    "version": "1.0.1",
#    "url": "http://volumio.github.io/volumio-plugins/plugins/volumio/armhf/music_service/rad357pl/rad357pl.zip",
#    "license": "ISC",
#    "description": "Radio 357",
#    "details": "",
#    "author": "DJack",
#    "screenshots": [
#     {
#        "image": "",
#        "thumb": ""
#     }
#     ],
#     "updated": "7-1-2021"
#   },
# We need the `name`, `category` and the `url` for sanity

plugin_name="rad357pl"
plugin_cat="music_service"

wget "https://volumio.github.io/volumio-plugins/plugins/volumio/armhf/${plugin_cat}/${plugin_name}/${plugin_name}.zip"
mkdir ./${plugin_name}
miniunzip ${plugin_name}.zip -d ./${plugin_name}
cd ${plugin_name}
npm install 
volumio plugin install

Please do NOT ask for support here – find the plugin’s dedicated thread from Volumio Plugins Collection

3 Likes

thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am confirming that PeppyMeter Plugin (by 2aCD) works flawlessly with a new 3.173. The YouTube link was made with 3.150.

Wow. Installed new V3 and… Dissapointed.
We cant use it. I have just realized, that there is no IR Remote Control plugin. This is really crazy project. Why do you release a new version, based on an old RPi OS, with less functions than the previous version?
Changelog of V3 is referring to old V2. Do I need to google all the forum to find what is working and what not?
I need to roll back and reinstall the old version. Where can I download the old, 2.x? I cant find a link…
This project looks like Alfa-Romeo for me. Looks great, but has a loooot of bugs.
Please take this as a constructive critics. I hope the project will get better and better over a time.

Give lads a break, Rome wasn’t built in a day. If you’ve read about changes v3 has brought over previous one maybe you’d understand.

Hi,
Does anyone know anything about MPD_OLED plugin migration?

1 Like

I understand your frustration - but please don’t shoot the messenger! I was just trying to making more information available in a single place to help others…

Have a look at the banner at the top of the forum :slight_smile:
or tl;dr – Volumio 3 issues: hints and solutions

Fair point! Was pointed out to the core team by some other mods – @volumio Perhaps it would be good to start a thread to collect peoples constructive criticism for the release?

2 Likes

The plugins are created by the community, Volumio has and will never control their free time…

3 Likes

This overview is only for plugins that were previously available “officially” in Volumio 2.
I don’t believe MPD_OLED or PeppyMeter was released via the old repo?
They are welcome to submit to the new store :slight_smile:

You left out Mixcloud, Soundcloud, Youtube2 and YouTube Cast Receiver :grin: - all ported.

Oddly, for Youtube2, you can find it in the plugin store (all versions are marked beta), but the PR for it has never been merged and I have updated it several times since I first submitted it.

Btw thanks for making this list~ It’s really useful during this migration phase.

1 Like

Ah - they weren’t added to the volumio/volumio-plugins repo right? That was what I used to populate the available plugins - I guess these weren’t “officially” available?

Anyway, will add a “New” section with your work! :slight_smile:

You’re right. They weren’t “official” back then because of all the issues with legacy MPD

Guess you could cross post to the other thread about the new store? What you mention is exactly what was meant to be avoided – a published plugin with missing source of what was actually published.

EDIT: Oh you already did… Volumio 3 RC1 - Open Beta Testing - #486 by patrickkfkan

I dunno – guess the core devs should have a look again at what is up…

1 Like

So, Squeezelite and Logitech media server are not ported yet? Those are the only ones I use.

Or Volumio 3 has a better handling of music and can create random playlist or shuffle your library? Without creating a whole library playlist, which was very slow? And can Volumio 3 send music to Chromecast speakers? That’s why I use those plugins.

1 Like

Any news about LastFM Scrobbler migration?

I love having an overview of what I’m listening to and it’s a pity I can’t get the data for this from Volumio anymore (other than through convoluted manual scrobbling steps) :disappointed_relieved:

Rotary Encoder 2 is now working, as confirmed by several people.
I also submitted and made a PR. Hope I did it correctly - informations about the new method are a bit confusing.

Update: PR is still pending - upon request: you can download a zip here using download-directory.github.io:
rotaryencoder2.zip (1.2 MB)

2 Likes