Volumio 3 Plugin migration status

Ah - they weren’t added to the volumio/volumio-plugins repo right? That was what I used to populate the available plugins - I guess these weren’t “officially” available?

Anyway, will add a “New” section with your work! :slight_smile:

You’re right. They weren’t “official” back then because of all the issues with legacy MPD

Guess you could cross post to the other thread about the new store? What you mention is exactly what was meant to be avoided – a published plugin with missing source of what was actually published.

EDIT: Oh you already did… Volumio 3 RC1 - Open Beta Testing - #486 by patrickkfkan

I dunno – guess the core devs should have a look again at what is up…

1 Like

So, Squeezelite and Logitech media server are not ported yet? Those are the only ones I use.

Or Volumio 3 has a better handling of music and can create random playlist or shuffle your library? Without creating a whole library playlist, which was very slow? And can Volumio 3 send music to Chromecast speakers? That’s why I use those plugins.

1 Like

Any news about LastFM Scrobbler migration?

I love having an overview of what I’m listening to and it’s a pity I can’t get the data for this from Volumio anymore (other than through convoluted manual scrobbling steps) :disappointed_relieved:

Rotary Encoder 2 is now working, as confirmed by several people.
I also submitted and made a PR. Hope I did it correctly - informations about the new method are a bit confusing.

Update: PR is still pending - upon request: you can download a zip here using download-directory.github.io:
rotaryencoder2.zip (1.2 MB)

2 Likes

@ashthespy 's method in the 3rd post works for me. Last.fm is scrobbling on v3.175 / RasPi v4.

2 Likes

Thank you very much timd! Even though i’m a “normal user”, I wanted to try: it worked and luckily doesn’t seem like it broke the system :sweat_smile:

Yes, I am missing it too…

Yes, but why to break backwards compatibility to punish the community and plugin developers?

… even though I can’t upgrade to the new version as the integrity check system fails :sweat_smile:
Anyway, since i’m not having any issues i will do a factory reset and update when the lastfm plugin will be officially available

1 Like

I don’t know that, it is a question for @volumio. I can only do an estimated guess, that it is related to an updated npm and new plugin store.

which “third post”? could you share a link to it? thanks!

so simple, go to the top and count the 3rd post, jeez…

I finally could install Volumio3 on a different arm device than Raspberry Pi (NanoPi NEO2, thanks @gkkpch)

I noticed some plugins specific for Raspberry Pi are also shown on the list of the NanoPi NEO2. This will create confusion and should be avoided.

here the list:

• User Interface → Remote Pi
  • System Hardware → Touch Display (not sure if this may work on other platforms)

Touch screen plugin would be useless for the NanoPi Neo3 and Neo2, but it did work on other Volumio 2 devices, like Tinkerboard, Odroid and Pine’s, and should not be an issue with Volumio 3 either.
When a plugin description explicitly states that it is meant for a Raspberry PI, then I suppose the user should not install it on another device.
For the community ported devices I never did specific plugin tests, I leave that to the community.

Clear, thanks for the clarification.

for other plugins still to be ported, that are 100% specific for Raspberry Pi (GPIO_Button, GPIO_Control, Rotary_Encoder_II, etc.) is it possible to hide them on other arm platforms?

2 Likes

Hello,
since the developer of LastFMScrobbler plugin is no longer seen around here (I sent him two messages with no reply) and given that the plugin seems to work fine on Volumio 3 whit the method suggested by @ashthespy, what is the effort required to make it officially compatible and available for download ?
I’m using the old version and it works but I cannot update the system because the system integrity check fails. Doing a factory reset every time and then manually reinstalling the old plugin is not exactly convenient…

1 Like

This is a call the core devs need to make – there are bunch of plugins that just need to be “uploaded” to the myVolumio plugin store framework. It would really be a shame to loose all these working plugins for want of a simple re-bundling for the new store.

That shouldn’t be the case normally - unless the plugin is changing things in the /volumio partition. Having a quick look at the plugin’s source (GitHub - Saiyato/volumio-lastfm-plugin: Plugin to scrobble music played in Volumio 2.x to LastFM.) that doesn’t seem to be the case.

1 Like

This is a call the core devs need to make – there are bunch of plugins that just need to be “uploaded” to the myVolumio plugin store framework. It would really be a shame to loose all these working plugins for want of a simple re-bundling for the new store.

I agree with you 100%.

That shouldn’t be the case normally - unless the plugin is changing things in the /volumio partition. Having a quick look at the plugin’s source (GitHub - Saiyato/volumio-lastfm-plugin: Plugin to scrobble music played in Volumio 2.x to LastFM.) that doesn’t seem to be the case.

Hmm, so I probably did something wrong with the process :thinking:

EDIT: I checked the files modified in /volumio the date I installed the plugin and with that date is the .npm folder with some cache subfolders and the file anonymous-cli-metrics.json

EDIT2: Sorry, those files and folders are in /home/volumio.
/volumio does not contain any files with a creation date corresponding to or later than the one in which I installed the plugin

1 Like