Unofficial Volumio 3 on Odroid boards (C4/ N2/ N2+/ M1S)

I had a spare ODROID C1 laying around and decided to give this a try. It works surprisingly well, thanks for compiling the image.

However, I did encounter one issue and I’m not sure what (if anything) I can do about it.

ODROID C1 doesn’t support Hifi Shield and my amplifier doesn’t have HDMI input. In order to get the sound to my amplifier, I bought “UGREEN USB External Sound Card” on Amazon.

This is an inexpensive USB DAC based on ALC4030 chip and works with ODROID C1 + Volumio 3 “out of the box”. Unfortunately, something breaks after a while and the volume control goes gaga, causing the card to suddenly switch to full power and emit enormous amount of noise. Setting the volume to almost zero more or less restores the sound and so does a reboot.

Any ideas how to handle this? And what is even a possible cause for this kind of behavior? Thanks in advance.

1 Like

expect this with 12$ undocumented china stuff, get a proper DAC instead.
The C1/C1+ works absolutely perfect with a big range of other xmos/ thesycon based usb devices.

The C1 version is as good as it gets, the device is old and otherwise works fine with v3. Please do not expect updates.

as suggestion, set the volume control of volumio to none and use your amplifier to control the sound output. this should avoid the “yeah lets play with the volume” output behaviour of the USB thingy.
But as said in the previous posting, 12 euro for a USB thingy…

1 Like

Thank you for your work. My N2+ has so far ran flawlessly with the latest image. However, I am having an issue getting wifi to successfully start with my C4. The logs simply state that there is no wlan0 device available, and I can see that there is no light coming from the B5 module at any point.

I can confirm that both the C4 and B5 are not at fault, as I have an image of CoreElec able to use wifi without issue. Any ideas why it is failing to start? Thanks in advance.

Link to log here

Thanks @gkkpch for your efforts. I tried to install v3.212 on my C2 but couldn’t get it to talk to my ethernet network and pull a proper IP address. I pulled the card and flashed v3.206 instead. Although it took a long while to boot up, it eventually found a proper IP address, and I was able to get rolling with my Superstar subscription. It seems v3.206 isn’t able to find any OTA updates, and the spinning wheel pops up frequently. Web radio works, but unlike v2.916, v3.206 doesn’t work with Tidal Connect or recognize any music I copy to ‘Internal Storage’. I’m still troubleshooting. Any advice on how to troubleshoot and make this work optimally? Should I try v3.187 or other version instead?

Before stopping Volumio support for most community portings about 3 months ago, all existing images, including Odroids, were tested and considered ok. I’m afraid I can’t help, meanwhile got rid of all the hardware.
There will be no more support for Odroids C1/C2/XU4.

C4/N2/N2+ may get my help in case somebody offers to maintain my work.

1 Like

Thanks @gkkpch, for your response, and understood. I appreciate all the work you have done on this.

For other Volumio users with the Odroid C2, I will share that I’m having better luck with overall functionality of v2.916. The v3 builds (v3.187, v3.206, v3.212) I tried with Odroid C2 all failed to work with Tidal Connect and all failed to recognize the music files I copied to ‘Internal Storage’.

1 Like

My Odroid N2 found a new Volumio version. It is now on 3.366
However in the first post of this thread I can only find 3.224 under current downloads
Thanks for updating the link on the first post

Great to see that some-one picked up the development for the ODroid N2 image. However it’s a beta release. I expect that this is the reason that the top link hasn’t been updated.

That was me, I need to do a 3.3 version still.
I do not promise, that updates will be done on a regular basis.
Therefore Odroids remain unsupported…

5 Likes

Then I will give you a big bow.
Just tested the V3.366 and it runs fast, smooth and stable on the N2+.

Currently not very active with it as the LMS server plugin is not working and didn’t find time to debug it.
But as of now, I will leave the Test Mode to “Test” :grinning:

And then I can’t let go so did a manual install, which seems to do the trick.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libcrypt-openssl-rsa-perl
wget http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/8.3/lms/a4af2fa404492ab4a013b795c6ecb8b1b03ff990/logitechmediaserver_8.3.0~1664261103_arm.deb
sudo dpkg -i logitechmediaserver_8.3.0_1664261103_arm.deb

Many many thanks for your efforts!

Is this new OTA 3.3 update will come to the Odroid C2 boards too?

No, Odroids are not supported and support will not be resumed.
Occasional updates may appear for the C4/N2 only, but there is no commitment from anyone to create them. The Volumio team does not deal with community portings and that work has been stopped months ago.

Thanks! Will you update for the N2+ “Download links Current Release” for V3.366 and 3.3 version?
(I was just planning to replace C4 with N2+)

Existing C4/N2 users can try to update via the system menu once in a while. You’re lucky when there is a new version, but available at your own risk.
I’m not going back to supporting them, therefore I won’t update the forum links either.

Already happy with the fact that there are some possible updates, as the N2+ runs volumio much more responsive than the rPi.

Which board do you advice to run Voluimio 3.3 on? I have now rpi3B but that system crashes and is not responding sometimes. I was thinking about odroid but that is not supported anymore I read in this topic.

from support point of view, I would look for a x86 board, as this is still under official support. I have been lucky to get my hands on a few Dell WYSE 3040 (thin client) via this community, which runs perfect. So is the Odroid N2+. The latter gets an occasional update by community porting, so is the C4 but both have no support anymore.
The choice also depends on the plugins you want to use, as a lot of them only runs on the rPi.
But keep watching this forum, as Volumio is also concerned regarding the problem that people can’t get their hands on a rPi.

I am looking around or a thinker board is an option, that looks promising. I have a nuc10i3 but that one is running as a pc. And my budget says a single board.

looking at the HW spec, this shoudl do the trick and for sure in the correct price range:\https://www.amazon.com/Processor-Computer-Computers-Bluetooth-Ethernet/dp/B09KPKLCPF/ref=psdc_13896617011_t1_B071CW3DRV?th=1

1 Like