Unofficial Volumio 3 on Odroid boards (C4/ N2/ N2+/ M1S)

if it not time consuming for you, it’s sound like a nice feature.
But to be honest, in my case, the Odroid N2+ is not used as a development board.
If I play around, I use a SD. Only when it suits my needs it will be flashed to the eMMC.

Currently it either boots form eMMC to run JRiver (primary library for maintenance and tagging) and Cantata (to supply dynamic playlists to volumio’s MPD), or it boots Volumio from the SD.

Ok, in your case you don’t seem to have a prime use for it.
The eMMC installer would be produced at the same time as the Volumio image.
And will be published and downloadable at the same time, it would be up to the user which one to take. And you would not always need to flash the latest installer, an older installer would do: run it and do an OTA update afterwards.
Good for situations where a board is in a case and perhaps less easy accessable.

1 Like

It is very much definitely a pain here to do a reflash on C4 (because of location & disassembly). OTA is good, but eventually a reflash will become necessary. So, as @Wheaten says “if it not time consuming for you” then it would be great feature, tyvm gkkpch.

I think it might depend on how many board/cases you can swap the SD without ripping it apart, based on how close to the edge of the board the SD connector is.
On my C1+, when the SD is inserted, the edge is flush with the board edge so even if the case had a slot, you still couldn’t swap it out.
Where on the XU4 the connector is closer to the board edge, so an inserted SD extends out enough so you can swap it with the case on.
** Update **
Then there’s the question of the boot mode. Is there a physical switch to swap between SD and eMMC.
Cheers.

With the XU4 I’m not totally sure either, I never checked whether the eMMC is still accessable after you flipped the switch to boot from SD. If not, the eMMC installer would not make any sense.

A post was split to a new topic: Will Volumio downsample form 24/192 to USB DAC 24/96 capability and will this loose bit perfect

This is actually an interesting general Volumio question, which others would perhaps like to have an answer to, therefore not related to a specific Odroid version.
So if you permit, I’ll move the post to the help section, OK?

Seems your DAC is downsampling. As it seems to support 192kHz on s/PDIF
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/devices-hifi-audio-dac/audiotrak-prodigy-cube-usb-dac-preamp-24-96khz-p-7404.html

man, you are to quick for me :wink:

good one :joy:

This is interesting. When I play the same in foobar2000 on Windows I have to enable sox dsp resampler to be able play 24/192 and this dac does not to want to play such files natively. In Volumio, is sox resampler plugin enabled by default? I use coaxial output to connect to my amp therefore I am confused.

1 Like

Fine with me :slight_smile:

Again, these are Volumio-specific questions, no relation with Odroid.
Please post this in the appropriate place.

Thanks for moving it!

Hi,

Thank you for providing a new version Volumio 3 on Odroid C1+.

I tried to move from Volumio 2 to Volumio 3 version 3.187, but I got failed message from kernel log regarding usb wifi device on my Odroid C1+.

Volumio 3 - 3.187
[ 29.837655] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00_set_rt: Info - RT chipset 2872, rev 0202 detected
[ 29.899119] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00_set_rf: Info - RF chipset 0001 detected
[ 29.905537] ieee80211 phy0: Selected rate control algorithm ‘minstrel_ht’
[ 35.037179] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00lib_request_firmware: Info - Loading firmware file ‘rt2870.bin’
[ 35.084128] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00lib_request_firmware: Error - Failed to request Firmware

Volumio 2 - 2.916, this device was working as below
[ 60.387989] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00_set_rt: Info - RT chipset 2872, rev 0202 detected
[ 60.448154] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00_set_rf: Info - RF chipset 0001 detected
[ 60.453642] ieee80211 phy0: Selected rate control algorithm ‘minstrel_ht’
[ 61.638274] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00lib_request_firmware: Info - Loading firmware file ‘rt2870.bin’
[ 61.649633] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00lib_request_firmware: Info - Firmware detected - version: 0.29

dmesg_1st_boot_2.916.txt (81.8 KB)
dmesg_1st_boot_3.187.txt (47.5 KB)

I was wondering if you could let me know when I can expect to get update regarding this failure?

Regards,
Choe.

True, the firmware is missing for Ralink devices. It has already been fixed for C4 and N2, had no time yet to do the old 3.

I think this would be very helpful for me. I use SD card only. Will this work?

No, this will only work for eMMC installations.

So, do you have any plan to release new version including missed Ralink firmware for C1+?

Regards,