Volumio 3 on Khadas devices

I have a VIM1 Rev1.2 and I’d like to use it with Volumio.

I flashed the image Volumio-3.212-2022-01-29-kvim1 on a SD-card, but I can’t make the device booting properly

What shall I do to force the boot from SD-card?

Thank you for your efforts.
I’m using volumio 3 on odroid c4 + hifi shiled2 and volumio 2 on raspberry bi zero + justboom dac zero.
And have Khadas vim3l and vim4.
I want voumio 3 to run on vim4.

So, I’m interested in volumio on odroid board and khadas board.

What skills do I need to support those board.
I’m a S/W developer and have some experience with linux on some SBCs.

1 Like

Interestingly I noticed that the new Volumio Primo v2 is using the same CPU Amlogic S905D3, Quad Core 1.9 GHz. with 2 GB DDR4 as the Khadas VIM3L. Could this mean we can use the same volumio images between the two (bit optimistic I know)?
I was sorely disappointed when Volumio dropped support for the popular VIM3L, espcially as Khadas had clearly stated that it was a great platform for Volumio (evidently without discussing it with Volumio). I feel that with the new Primo v2 using the same CPU, it does show that Khadas was correct, it is a great platform for Volumio and it might be possible to bring my little 3L back into service.

It was Khadas, who marketed a Volumio version without being able to deliver one. Volumio is not responsible for Khadas marketing.
Please stick to facts, Volumio never offered support, there were early tests for an unsupported porting version, which were abandoned for technical reasons.

The only boards left, that may get an unsupported Volumio version once in a while are Odroid C4 and N2/N2+
Otherwise you will have an arm board choice between Tinkerboard/S or PI.

My apologise, for getting it slightly wrong! Yes Khadas did promote the Amlogic S905D3 board as suitable for Volumio with no offer of support from Volumio, that is inexcusable!
But look at the positives, it gave Volumio a bit of free advertising and surely a sign that the Amlogic S905D3 could be used as a suitable platform. As I pointed out in the OP, now Volumio are planning using the same CPU in the soon to be released Primo V2. Isn’t this a happy ending, you are using a relatively cheap solution for the Primo V2 that will impress users and generate income. Will the images for the Primo V2 be released in the normal channels?

No, there won’t be. There’s more to a Volumio image than just the SoC. Forget it, there won’t be any publically available images, that would mean a community porting and that path has been stopped for the most part. No interest from my side, sorry

Hi.
Is anyone try to use SPDIF output on VIM1?
Not working for me, but HDMI output works fine
Where to look?
Settings below:

I presume you used pin 13/14.
How did you connect?

Yes. Early I use Kodi and it works so. I connect RCA to SPDIF/GND to decoder

Which version are you using?

From the topic Volumio-3.212-2022-01-29-kvim1

Strange, all images were tested before publishing.
Unfortunately I have no way to verify or further help.

Do you test SPDIF on vim1?
Also, when I change audio device, I have different output volume. Looks as bug

1 Like

Agree, possible bugs.
Unfortunately you have to take the images for VIM1/2/3 products “as-is”, there will be no more bugfixes/new versions.

Hi Martin, could you post detailed instructions how did you “set up the image on VIM3”.
It will be much appreciated.
RAK

2 Likes

Hello,
I’m using Volumio-3.212-2022-01-29-kvim3 for VIM3Pro flashed on SDcard with Balena Etcher.
Is it OK that no GUI is started and I have only a tty session on start from sd card?
If connected with ethernet cable to my router it can see my network settings and WebGUI can be reached from another computer. Then it is possible to set wifi connection. But I’m wondering is it normal that no GUI is starting from VIM3 and can be reached only from another computer and only with WebGUI? Or I do something wrong?

https://volumio.github.io/docs/User_Manual/Quick_Start_Guide
You did everything right, except for not reading the documentation. Btw, vim3 is no longer supported.
Also consult the forum, there are tons of posts on the subject (see touchscreen, applies to all UI screen types)

Thank you for reply.
I will check the documentation for not asking stupid questions ))

At this moment, the Volumio images (Khadas VIM3L) for Primo, Rivo and Integro are bound to Volumio’s products and not for public download or distribution.

Because you have a Coca Cola bottle, doesn’t mean that Coca Cola must share it’s original recipe with you?

1 Like

I just managed to transfer the contents of a coca cola bottle into an empty pepsi bottle :wink: