Volumio 3 - Erased my local music library

I don’t think the data on usb was deleted. You can try to plug it to a Windows/Linux pc to check.

1 Like

Very weird. This also happened to me! I had problems in the past with my drive on Volumio2. I needed to manually mount it. I updated to Volumio3 (starting with RC and OTA to 3.173) and I only noticed today that my USB was mounted but empty! Confirmed by mounting on PC.

RPi4, Samsung T7 SSD, formatted exFAT (default) - worked for months with Volumio 2. Upgraded to Volumio 3 which wiped it completely including all files/folders and it also no longer connects with my iPad (which it also did perfectly fine before)

What was the label of the HDD?

I believe it was just “T7”

Just noticed the same thing has happened to me. I have lost all music on usb hard drive. I think this happened when I upgraded to volumio 3. Very annoying.

Can people reponding to this post, please provide as much detail as possible (what caused it, drive type & size, filesystem format etc.), rather than just saying “me too.”

I upgraded to 3.179 from 2 in order to try out multiroom feature. The usb disk is a sonnics 750GB capacity which is vfat formatted.
I have installed testdisk (other disk tools are available) and fortunately the files appear to all still be there, just deleted not wiped, so I will hopefully recover them to another drive.

Also just noticed :yum:

I’m not 100% sure when this happened , but I have a usb memory stick that have been connect to one of my players for months and now when I check it’s empty

Rpi Zero
Upgrade from Ver: 2.9?? to Ver:3.173
Toshiba 64GB stick
exFat
Labled as Toshiba

Hola, me podrías por favor ayudar a recuperar los datos de mi unidad me paso igual que a ti

lo siento, pero no puedo hablar español

2 Likes

my Spanish stops with Holidays pieces like: 2 cervezas por favor

1 Like

doe mij der maar een paar en met dit weer lust jij der vast ook wel een paar toch :stuck_out_tongue:
do me a couple and i think you need a few too…:slight_smile: dos cervezas porre vanvoorre :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I have de same problem, please help me, i need to recoverd 2Tb of music

you can try to connect the disk to a pc, right click on the drive => properties => tools => check

Thanks for answering. “windows successfully scanned the drive. no errors found”

and are you’re files still there?

1 Like

I would like to leave a comment on this topic because it happened a few times to me.
My device info

• OS -Volumio 3.xx(I do not remember the exact version number but it happened with volumio 3)
    *HW: Raspberrypi CM4 with official IO Board 4), External drive Sandisk SSD 1TB USB2.0(happened when formatted NTFS, EXT4), USB DAC

The USB SSD is connected via USB and mounted to /media/Sandisk1TB which I created

This is what I did just before the last time my music files got deleted

1. I uploaded some music files I ripped from my CDs using sftp
    1. using volumio web interface and clicking the link on the right side of the folder list, I updated the music folder
      then the music files are deleted

I checked /var/log directory. My volumio set up is mostly default and it does not leave many log files. So I checked /var/log/mpd.log
In the log file, I found a lot of “updating” logs then suddenly “removing” (I saved the log texts somewhere but I cannot find it now. Sorry that I canno post it here.)
I checked the whole drive and saw some files and directories are deleted and some still survived.
The difference between the files that are deleted and not deleted is their ‘permissions’
As it happened before, I had files and directory permission as read-only and they did not get deleted. The deleted files were 755 and ‘volumio’ ownership.
Now I set all the music files with 444 permission, directories 755 permission with root ownership. I am enjoying volumio safely with this permission modification.
The reason for 755 for directories is it seems like volumio needs write permission for ‘web album art’. If I set read only permission to directories and update a folder, the spinning for updating does not stop. This is why I do not mount the drive read only with /etc/fstab.

For the developers of Volumio:
I do not know if I am right but music files got deleted just after I ‘updated’ music library. I mean ‘update folder’. It could be related renewing and deleting old web album art cache script. I maybe wrong. I would not suspect MPD’s database update function because it never happened with bare Debian+MPD set up with me.

P.S. this is a little bit long posting and hope the readers are not too annoyed. I just wanted share my experience with everybody, especially generous Volumio development team.

2 Likes

Thanks @songskim

your comment provided quite a lot of useful insights to what the problem might be.

Specifically, the fact that you mount the drive manually, which might trick our algorithm for mounted devices.

My hypothesis is that:

• A rescan of the drive might trigger udev to think that the drive has been unmounted (maybe due to a voltage drop due to drive spinup)
  • We attempt then to unmount the drive
  • It can’t be unmounted because mpd is scanning it
  • We remove the mountpoint, hence the files

We are working on a fix on this branch: GitHub - volumio/volumio3-backend at fix/usbMount

We will push a release this or next week (we have currently a release in QA, so we will include those commits in the next one).

While we are there, we can also provide a better mounting mechanism for internal drives. As of now, if you want to mount an internal drive in Volumio, you need to label it issd, ihdd, internal hdd or internal ssd. We do that to prevent windows folders which could kill mpd scanning.
If you have other suggestions, let us know

(maybe due to a voltage drop due to drive spinup)

This doesn’t go up for a ssd / usb sticks so it could be something else.