Volumio 3 Buster Beta for X86

Hi @ashthespy
ok, I see.
So how will we proceed? Can I test your solution proposal on my own or do we need a new build for that?

By the way: Why don’t we use the solution that gkkpch did prepare - it worked…

Cheers, Robert

Update to latest 3.X version, that will work.

Latest version:
https://updates.volumio.org/x86_amd64/volumiobuster/3.061/Volumiobuster-3.061-2021-04-12-x86_amd64.zip

Yes it works. Only issue i had was once flashed to emmc it hangs after restart. (but this i assume was due to the library being populated at the time) Did a hard reset. Then everything worked.

Hi,

here my test results regarding Volumiobuster-3.061-2021-04-12-x86_amd64.img

Management summary: :slight_smile:

• no deadlock after first start :heavy_check_mark:
  • frequently loss of music library :x:
  • frequent deadlock (no playback, no lib) :x:
  • change of “playback options” heals this, a few minutes later again deadlock (no playback). :x:
  • it seems that we are on a good way, but the system is neither stable nor robust yet.

Details:
after first start (directly after flash)

• assistent is runnig without interruption
  • playback is ok (webradio, tidal)
  • lib is showing the USB Stick media but NOT the media on the external USB HD
  • “update” scans the externel USB HD (it was mounted automatically but not scanned)
volumio@smx:~$ systemctl status mpd.service
● mpd.service - Music Player Daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/mpd.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Mon 2021-04-12 18:21:54 UTC; 39s ago
     Docs: man:mpd(1)
           man:mpd.conf(5)
  Process: 3443 ExecStartPre=/usr/bin/touch /var/log/mpd.log (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  Process: 3444 ExecStartPre=/bin/chown volumio /var/log/mpd.log (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 3446 (mpd)
   Memory: 8.5M
   CGroup: /system.slice/mpd.service
           └─3446 /usr/bin/mpd --no-daemon

Apr 12 18:21:54 smx systemd[1]: Starting Music Player Daemon...
Apr 12 18:21:54 smx mpd[3446]: Apr 12 18:21 : exception: Decoder plugin 'wildmidi' is unavailable: configuration file does not exist: /etc/timidity/timidity.cfg
Apr 12 18:21:54 smx systemd[1]: Started Music Player Daemon.
volumio@smx:~$
volumio@smx:~$ ls -al /media/
total 144
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root   1024 Apr 12 18:20 .
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root   1024 Apr 12 18:18 ..
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root  12288 Mar 17 16:09 MUSIK
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 131072 Jan  1  1970 ultra

volumio@smx:~$ lsblk -r -no PATH,KNAME,TRAN,TYPE,FSTYPE,ROTA,HOTPLUG,RM
/dev/loop0 loop0  loop squashfs 1 0 0
/dev/sda sda sata disk  0 0 0
/dev/sda1 sda1  part vfat 0 0 0
/dev/sda2 sda2  part ext4 0 0 0
/dev/sda3 sda3  part ext4 0 0 0
/dev/sdb sdb usb disk  1 1 0        <- external USB HD
/dev/sdb1 sdb1  part ntfs 1 1 0
/dev/sdc sdc usb disk  1 1 1
/dev/sdc1 sdc1  part vfat 1 1 1
/dev/sdc2 sdc2  part ext4 1 1 1
/dev/sdc3 sdc3  part ext4 1 1 1
/dev/sdd sdd usb disk  1 1 1      <- external USB Stick
/dev/sdd1 sdd1  part exfat 1 1 1
volumio@smx:~$

There is still something that torpedoes the mpd or the alsa queueing. Change of the “playback option” heals it for a few minutes (or a few titles to play), then it hangs again.

Again playback is dead:
http://logs.volumio.org/volumiobuster/QCKoLST.html

nearly at the end of this log - may be this is a hint where to look for?:

mpd: ../src/event/SocketMonitor.hxx:101: unsigned int SocketMonitor::GetScheduledFlags() const: Assertion `IsDefined()' failed.

One more thought: The earlier beta versions from 3.046 to 3.055 did not show this instabilities (playback dying…).

Cheers,
Robert

I have a Tidal problem (not big but it is an issue I think). I am running volumio3 When I select an artist in tidal and go to the album list I only get <translate.common.albums> Not shure if this is a beta issue.

Hi @Tecko ,
thanks for posting.
See also my post in “general issues” of the beta

Probably this is not an x86 specific issue but nevertheless a volumio 3 issue in the beta phase.
Have fun,
Robert
PS: Could you please provide us with the exact version you are using?

I am using version 3.053 x86_amd64. I update today 14/4 to 3.055. Now 3.061 that is the latest?

Latest version:
Volumiobuster-3.063-2021-04-14-x86_amd64

1 Like

Deleted

Still overwriting /boot/userconfig.txt

on X86? There is no userconfig.txt
But you mean RPi, afaik there is still an issue open with it, there was a fix but I’m not sure if it has been integrated, @ashthespy may know more.

wrong channel… my bad.

There’s a new version (3.063) on the server. Could someone please tell us the changelog coming from 3.061? At the first glance I canot see any difference - my focus is on the x86 issue regarding playback and lib generation…

In 3.063 playback is dying after choosing 1 webradio and after that trying to play a tidal track.

Cheers,
Robert

Hi them all,

found Volumiobuster-3.066-2021-04-15-x86_amd64.img on the beta server and tested it.
Setup:

• x86
  • volumio on USB stick 1
  • USB stick 2 with 30 music files
  • USB HD with some 38k music files

Log after startup and playing some titles (everything is still working):
http://logs.volumio.org/volumiobuster/WQXKBYJ.html

• first setup assistent runs through without interrupts. :white_check_mark:
  • playback of webradio ok :white_check_mark:
  • playback tidal ok :white_check_mark:
  • USB stick 2 is scanned automatically, but only 20 of the 30 files were found and indexed in the lib :x:
  • USB HD is mounted but not scanned automatically. :x:
  • unmounted USB HD and “update” the lib: 30/30 files on USB stick 2 were found and indexed :white_check_mark:
  • mounted the USB HD again and “update” the lib: al files were found and indexed in the lib. :white_check_mark:
  • playback of tidal / webradio / local files seems to be more stable. But after some 20 jumps between local files, tital titles and webradios the local lib is gone and playback of tital, webradio, local files is no longer possible. :x:
  • again changing the “playback options” heals it and playback is working again.
  • jumping quickly (after first 1-2 seconds of the tracks) between some tidal titles lets playback die again. :x:
  • if you don’t hurry and let the tracks at least 10s play before switching to another everything is fine.

Log when playback is no longer working:
http://logs.volumio.org/volumiobuster/Me3cKhJ.html

Log when playback is broken again:
http://logs.volumio.org/volumiobuster/bKCD70i.html

Sorry to say that this 3.066 with MPD 0.21.18 is only a little bit better than the 3.063 in regards of the playback stability. The last stable version I had was the 2.857 with MPD 0.21.16. But anyway there have been more changes than the MPD version of course. May be the root cause of the playback problems is not the MPD version alone.

Let me know if I can provide you with more information…
Good luck! We will solve this together!!!

Cheers,
Robert

I want to let know I have no problems with intelnuc10i3 running 3.066-x86_AMD64 Have tidal, qobuz running without significant problems. I have mixcloud, bandcamp en youtube2,ytcr -plugins running. Only thing I do not get going is the spotify plugin and spotify connect plugin. But I hope that will be fixed in the near future. For me Volumio is the most complete system to listen to audiophile music.

Plugins are not supported yet and you were asked not to do manual installations :wink:

I forgot that, I remember it know… but it is nice that thoose plugins are working :slight_smile: , it give something extra to the volumio experience compaire to other systems out there.

It is your installation, but they install extra software we do not guarantee at this stage and you will receive no support for your modified beta install. Please note.
Plugins remain WIP and we don’t want to discuss them here. When ready we’ll add a separate thread.

Hi Reinier,
did you try navigating in a Tidal album back and forth in a high frequency? That reproduces the “deadlock” reliably here. After that, no playback control is possible and the lib of the locall media is lost.
After changing the playback options the lib is up again and playback is also working again.
Talking about 3.066 x86.
Cheers,
Robert

No problems here I tested it with the black sabbath album (ultimate)/ 24-48