Volumio 3 Buster Beta for RPi

Hi.

Sorry for the misunderstanding on the use of /test & OTA.
Anyways

Shared a bug with log file here http://logs.volumio.org/volumiobuster/A8ubfaX.html

Hardware
Raspberry V3
Kali Reclocker + Piano 2.1
Suptronics X850 V3.1 = controller USB mSATA SSD
Not supported Out of the Box Wifi dongle with Realtek driver

Software
Volumio V3.083

Software, what works what doesn’ t
a. Wifi dongle OK after downloading the driver, and so on
b. Piano 2.1 in Dual Mode is picked up by the system. I can save the settings. (good compared to previous Volumio 2 after version 699. I stayed on that one for this system)
c. SSD is not recognized as USB connected hard drive (mSata Sandisk X300 512Gb)
d. Web radio don’t play, red rectangle appears on the top right " "****failed to open ALSA device volumio. No such device"****" (couldn’t try music since local drive is not recognized)

That’s it.
Hope it is Ok as reporting

Allo USBridge - hardwired network-asix driver installed
topping d90 DAC
3.101 - via “internet update”

I primarily want to use Tidal Connect MQA and purchased my Allo USBridge when I heard Volumio supported this.
Earlier Beta/Alpha versions were a mixed bag. Recent versions were unusable for Connect. In native Tidal tracks sometimes had garbled beginning/ending few seconds of a track, but besides that were actually playing nicer with my DAC than ever before in the “middle” of tracks. I’d had issues where randomly during a track I would experience “cracks” in the sound and sometimes my DAC display would momentarily change to display bit rate and MQA indicator would change to PCM, these issues seem to have come back in this version.
This version seems a bit of a step back, but generally welcome one. Hopefully some of the encouraging things I was seeing in how Volumio was playing with my DAC can come back in a more stable package that also plays well with Tidal Connect.

{“status”:“play”,“title”:“Beggin’”,“artist”:“Mneskin”,“album”:“Chosen”,“albumart”:“https://resources.tidal.com/images/9bcc5309/fc1d/4c81/9bf7/b29285b6b52d/1280x1280.jpg",“uri”:"",“trackType”:“tidal”,“seek”:198449,“duration”:212,“samplerate”:"44.1 KHz”,“bitdepth”:“16 bit”,“channels”:2,“random”:false,“repeat”:false,“repeatSingle”:false,“consume”:false,“volume”:100,“mute”:false,“disableVolumeControl”:true,“stream”:false,“updatedb”:false,“volatile”:true,“service”:“tidalconnect”}

Tidal connect isn’t stuttering anymore :slight_smile: Figured I’d post some good news for a change.

However being able to see my Volumio device on the Tidal Desktop App is hit or miss. I can see it however on the Tidal Mobile App for Android. (both devices are on the same wireless network, and the multicast packets / mdns is going across the wire, wireless, and vlans)

Funny thing is, if you open the desktop application and then open the mobile app. It then sees the volumio Tidal Connect interface lol. My guess is that the mobile app makes a request to see if there are any Tidal Connect devices out there and volumio says hi! I’d have to flip on wireshark again to see whats up. Let me know, happy to help :slight_smile:

Volumio 3.083 also verified and noticed that some error in

/volumio/app/plugins/system_controller/i2s_dacs/dacs.json file alsacard parameter missing so its wrongly configuring the card name in /etc/asound.conf
need to nano /volumio/app/plugins/system_controller/i2s_dacs/dacs.json as below

{“id”:“piano-dac-plus”,“name”:“Allo Piano 2.1”,“overlay”:“allo-piano-dac-plus-pcm512x-audio”,“alsanum”:“2”,“alsacard”:“PianoDACPlus”,“mixer”:“Digital”,“modules”:"",“script”:"",“needsreboot”:“yes”},

1 Like

please reread this important notice to all beta testers

To avoid further confusion, please unset Test mode if you have not done so already.
That way you will avoid stumbling over insufficiently tested or non-working alpha versions.
As @mervinio explained, sometimes you may specifically be asked by the developers to set Test mode and OTA to re-test a feature that you reported broken or not working correctly in a beta version.

Please hold on a little more, a new beta will arrive and be announced soon.

1 Like

There is a new beta version available, download it from this location:

Volumiobuster-3.101-2021-09-08-pi.zip

1 Like

Does the new beta have plugin support allready? (Saw some commits regarding those on GitHub)

No, that is stil WIP.
There is progress, first alpha testing started, but it is not ready for field testing.

1 Like

With the new Version 3.101 volumio plays no file anymore. It restart all the time.

Try to send log http://logs.volumio.org/volumiobuster/27xPVrp.html

Here last lines from ‘journctl’

!!EDIT: After restore system all works again

Sep 28 17:02:55 livingfoxi systemd[1]: Stopping Music Player Daemon...
Sep 28 17:02:55 livingfoxi systemd[1]: mpd.service: Succeeded.
Sep 28 17:02:55 livingfoxi systemd[1]: Stopped Music Player Daemon.
Sep 28 17:02:55 livingfoxi systemd[1]: Starting Music Player Daemon...
Sep 28 17:02:56 livingfoxi systemd[1]: Stopping Shairport Sync - AirPlay Audio Receiver...
Sep 28 17:02:56 livingfoxi systemd[1]: shairport-sync.service: Succeeded.
Sep 28 17:02:56 livingfoxi systemd[1]: Stopped Shairport Sync - AirPlay Audio Receiver.
Sep 28 17:02:56 livingfoxi systemd[1]: Started Shairport Sync - AirPlay Audio Receiver.
Sep 28 17:02:57 livingfoxi systemd[1]: Stopping Shairport Sync - AirPlay Audio Receiver...
Sep 28 17:02:57 livingfoxi systemd[1]: shairport-sync.service: Succeeded.
Sep 28 17:02:57 livingfoxi systemd[1]: Stopped Shairport Sync - AirPlay Audio Receiver.
Sep 28 17:02:57 livingfoxi systemd[1]: Started Shairport Sync - AirPlay Audio Receiver.
Sep 28 17:02:57 livingfoxi mpd[3109]: Sep 28 17:02 : exception: Decoder plugin 'wildmidi' is unavailable: configuration file does not exist: /etc/timidity/timidity.cfg
Sep 28 17:02:58 livingfoxi mpd[3109]: Sep 28 17:02 : exception: Input plugin 'tidal' is unavailable: No Tidal application token configured
Sep 28 17:02:58 livingfoxi mpd[3109]: Sep 28 17:02 : exception: Input plugin 'qobuz' is unavailable: No Qobuz app_id configured
Sep 28 17:02:58 livingfoxi systemd[1]: Started Music Player Daemon.
Sep 28 17:03:06 livingfoxi systemd[1]: Stopping Volumio Streaming Daemon...
Sep 28 17:03:06 livingfoxi systemd[1]: volumio-streaming-daemon.service: Main process exited, code=killed, status=15/TERM
Sep 28 17:03:06 livingfoxi systemd[1]: volumio-streaming-daemon.service: Succeeded.
Sep 28 17:03:06 livingfoxi systemd[1]: Stopped Volumio Streaming Daemon.
Sep 28 17:03:06 livingfoxi systemd[1]: Started Volumio Streaming Daemon.
Sep 28 17:03:06 livingfoxi volumio-streaming-daemon[3144]: ############################
Sep 28 17:03:06 livingfoxi volumio-streaming-daemon[3144]: # Volumio Streaming Daemon #
Sep 28 17:03:06 livingfoxi volumio-streaming-daemon[3144]: # Running on port 7777     #
Sep 28 17:03:06 livingfoxi volumio-streaming-daemon[3144]: ############################
Sep 28 17:03:06 livingfoxi volumio-streaming-daemon[3144]: Environment: production
Sep 28 17:03:08 livingfoxi volumio-streaming-daemon[3144]: Environment: production
Sep 28 17:03:26 livingfoxi systemd-journald[190]: Suppressed 715 messages from volumio.service

cards configuration issue still present in 3.101-2021-09-08-pi.zip version

/volumio/app/plugins/system_controller/i2s_dacs/dacs.json file alsacard parameter not entered for some of the cards. due to this /etc/asound.conf configured with MAX98357A for these cards and alsa error displaying while playing. I hope this will correct in next beta version. I have tested this with Allo Piano 2.1

@volumio @mervinio, is this correct?

I can confirm this behaviour with a Piano 2.1 on a recent fresh flash to 3.101. ‘outputdevicecardname’ name in /data/configuration/audio_interface/alsa_controller/config.json was fixed at MAXX98357A regardless of which i2s DAC I selected in the UI. Changing the cardname to ‘PianoDACPlus’ was a temporary fix.

1 Like

FYI, I also had the issue that nothing would play when upgrading from .83 to .101. After a reset it plays again.

Volumio 3.083.
http://logs.volumio.org/volumiobuster/851JLd8.html
Sorry if this has been reported before, but I couldn’t find it.

I am trying and failing to change the Wired IP to fixed. After V’ restarts the network it retains the IP on the screen but does not ‘connect’ and a scan of my network shows that IP is not there.
Also, the wireless connection doesn’t show the correct ‘Player Name’, just Volumio.

Version 3.083 is not supported, you need to update or flash a new version.
Note, you should disable test mode in order not to end up with unsupported test versions.

Volumiobuster-3.101-2021-09-08-pi

1 Like

Thanks, I have done both and it has now correctly registered the fixed IP.

There seems to have been a change to content of cmdline.txt.
The section that was, console=serial0,115200 kgdboc=serial0,115200
is now
"console=serial0,115200 console=tty1
Is this because of the change to Buster?
The reason for asking is because I use the UART connection with my PreAmp display.

You should still be able to use the UART – what issues are you facing? This was done during the boot debugging for Buster initially (see Adding a Status LED for RP3 B+ - #8 by ashthespy for some details if you are interested)

1 Like

Thanks Ash.
With Volumio 2.xx I had to remove that section so that the Python code on the PI could communicate with the Pic Controller in my PreAmp. Not my design but from here:
https://www.djuke.nl/en/support/15-preamplifier/44-preamplifier-v2-volumio-integration
I haven’t remade the connection since moving to PI3B and V’ 3.101, I was just thinking ahead.

PI 3B, Volumio 3.101, HiFi Berry DIGI2 Pro.
Sadly failed at stage one, attempting to play an album from my NAS.
http://logs.volumio.org/volumiobuster/1mGq6Ec.html
A popup ALSA error was displayed saying ‘Volumio no such device’. ALSA errors I have seen before have been because the I2S DAC setting had not been registered, but this is a new DIGI board?

Reverting back to Volumio 2.915 to check my hardware.