Volumio 3 Beta: x86 kernel regression with 6.1 & CIFS mounting

My system is HP Chromebox G1. I can not mount my NAS Seagate with ver 3.426. With Odroid N2 have not problem.Can you help me ? Gkkpch.
This is my report http://logs.volumio.org/volumiobuster/kOK37Bl.html

This is perhaps not beta kernel related.
Please test this with a regular x86 version first and report in the regular x86 hardware issues thread.
Then re-test with the beta and we will see whether we have a regression or not.

Re-testing after using the current version (not beta) is important.
I have seen a regression report regarding CIFS and kernel 6.1
You could do us a favor by testing current and beta, feedback would really appreciated.

Ok. I will test and reply to you.

With Volumio Ver 3.423 I still can not mount my NAS Seagate.
This is the log file http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/EcxqAYR.html.
I hope you can find the reason.

I am so sorry. I have a mistake. With Volumio Ver 3.423 I can mount my NAS Seagate.
This is the log file http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/mAn7u0i.html.

and did you repeat the test on 3.426, because that is what we would like to know?

With Volumio Ver 3.426 I still can not mount my NAS Seagate.

Thanks for testing this again, it appears that we have a kernel regression with CIFS mounting.
This is very unusual, Ii now needs to be tested on others machines.

@All: please test mounting a CIFS network drive when you the opportunity to do so.
It would be good to have a little more feedback regarding this issue.
I will be testing it later this week too, I have only used nfs mounts for testing so far.

1 Like

just downloading V3.424 and upgrade to V3.426?

V3.324: No issues mounting CIFS

V3.326: No issues mounting CIFS

1 Like

:+1:
It could still be an smb version issue, according to the log and regression report.
But this has not been confirmed yet.

Edit: this is the reported kernel error
It corresponds to the error in @rong70 log and seems to occur only with legacy smb version (1.0).
Luckily there is a patch for it in 6.1.10, I will build a new beta version later this week.

1 Like

Haven’t tested old SMB versions, as live moved on since 1990 :slight_smile:

First good thing: kernel 6.1 has now officially been declared as LTS, so it will be at least supported until December 2026, from experience we know this can often go 2-4 years longer.

@rong70 please boot from your existing (usb) 3.426 boot location, set test mode in the /dev page and do an OTA update, it will take you to 3.429
Ofc you are free to download
Volumiobuster-3.429-2023-02-09-x86_amd64
directly and test. This should solve your issue.

In case feedback from #rong70 is positive, then we have another goodie:

• 6.1.y LTS is stable for Volumio

There is a Toshiba Mini Click issue which has been reported and confirmed as regression, but no reaction was seen.
For the latter I would like to wait with 6.1, not only for @Wheaten (because he deserves it), but because there may be other devices involved once people start moving from pre-5.16 to 6.1.y kernels.

4 Likes

Thanks for your help, Gkkpch.
After update from ver 4.26 to 4.29. That good for all. I can mount my NAS Seagate quickly and do anything with my NAS. Thank you very much.

:ok_hand:
Thanks for the feedback!

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Rename the playlist