Volumio 3 Beta test: Auto updates

no, if you switch it off you don’t want to see a notification, in system you can always check manual if you want to get a update you could show it in system that there is a new release.

if you want auto update you don’t need to see if there is a update because you always get the latest.

I guess @volumio could add a setting to also turn off the notifiction, but that would defeat their purpose with the the update “it’s an incentive to keep user’s devices up to date, which makes our job easier at supporting it.”

The notification should stay, as indeed it saves us a lot of time providing support. The current releases are pretty stable, so not much change of breaking things.
What I would suggest, is to make the message a bit less dominant. I believe the main annoyance is that Volumio UI is not accesible for 10-15 seconds, while the message is there.

if you switch off auto update why should you want to see a message about something you switched off?
i don’t see a purpose for a toaster saying there is a update that you don’t want.
the story saying it saves time in support is bull, because they switched it off

@dvo

Please provide feedback, when it makes sense. Updates are there to fix things that are broken or add new functionality. So please don’t rant it’s bull when an update fix things, it for sure save support requests…
Since you miss the concept “Automatic update”, which means an update will be installed automatically versus manually, is something different then mentioning that there is an update.

i’m not saying that updates doesn’t make sense but in previous versions you had a lot of people
that went back to 2.xx version because some parts still works in that version and not any more,
in the newer versions that is one of the reasons you don’t want to auto update.
because it will break your still working system. so showing that there is a newer version
is only nagging on that part because they will not update because of it.

if you switched auto update On you already know you get the updates so no need of a toaster to remind you about it every boot.

do you see in windows every time toasters nagging about a update, no you have a update page.
and in the setup of volumio you could ask if people want to auto update and after that do it in the background keep it simple and silent.

and about this :
the story saying it saves time in support is bull, because they switched it off
you didn’t get my point if i switch it OFF i don’t want to see a toaster,
it wasn’t saying that updates are bull, but is it’s bull if you show a toaster when you switches it OFF

it’s like asking if some one wants a cookie every time… if they don’t want a cookie…

i like it to be informed about an update would be available - even if i switched auto update off for particular custom projects.

but @dvo if you only have 1 customised system it could nag you a lttle bit, yes

solution could be an additional switch “inform me if update is available” off / on

– or even better:

if autoupdate is switched off - only show notification about available updates - if dev mode is switched on

let me know your thoughts

1 Like

that would be a good option @Josh2000 :slight_smile:
give people the choice what they want
if they want updates on/off and show notification about available updates on/off
because if your stuck on a version and you can’t update any more you have no need for a notification about available updates

as i am tinkering i also have a few v2 projects on the run (e.g. grandpa’s webradio - that should not be updated for the the next 10 years :wink: and some v3 for other friends that simply don’t want to be bothered - or they will bother me.

They simply are not interested in such messages nor in any updates - but i am :slight_smile:

I do want them all to be happy with Volumio in absolutely different use cases

that is why i brought this up so everybody will be happy with it.

1 Like

@volumio could that be the solution ?

Ok, but for us not using auto update and want to have the notification so we know that there is an update available (so we can update when we choose to) this would be a step backwards in functionality. Why should dev mode need to be switched on for notifications if you not need the beta releases?

@Wolfman74

Good point - so maybe really an additional switch “inform me if an update is available” would be nice :slight_smile:

@devs: inform the brave guys in dev mode on beta updates and the users in non-dev mode only on stable updates on everey 10th boot for example…

even better - make it switchable “let me stay with my current system, don’t ask” on / off

Or even better - that the setting to turn of notifications should be on the /dev page. Then it’s only those who actually takes an active decision who does change that setting.

@Wolfman74 - but that would not help the users with a non customised system that will not have an issue with updating and getting fixes and new features…

And those users has then no need to turn off the notification…

ah - you are right with this :slight_smile:

While the notification might be nuisance, it’s important to keep your network connected devices up-to-date all the time, at least for now volumio is not force pushing the updates regardless of what users wants, so we can still have the choice of updating or not for whatever reason.

The amount of support requests they get from users with outdated or modded systems must be high as hell in the current state, both of those mentioned above is waste of time for their support staff.

It’s not hobby project anymore, so sometimes they have to do what is good for the company even if it annoys someone.

3 Likes

Volumio,

I I want the update I will instal it, but now each time I go to the main menu on my phone I cannot do anything and must wait until the notification is away for 15 sec.

It would be nice to switch off this update notification.

Thanks

there is no solution at this time we shall see what will happen in the next beta.