Volumio 3 and ext4 automount problem

Hello.

Issue that I’m going to mention is already reported(I also reported and provided necessary information) and known to Volumio team, but it is not yet mentioned in known issues list. This issue is tested on ASUS Tinkerboard 1 (without S) and still exist in V 3.179.

After Volumio 3 came out, I updated my system. Updating itself went without any problem. However Volumio 3 is unable to automatically recognize and mount external USB drive if it is formatted into ext4(Linux). I tested drive with exFAT file system and it worked fine.

There are two solutions at the moment:
SOLUTION 1 - If version 2 is working and version 3 doesn’t offer nothing new and necessary, it is good idea to stay with it at the moment.

SOLUTION 2 - Volumio 3 base system itself supports ext4 and drivers are working correctly, problem is somewhere in UI component. To use drive that is formatted into ext4, it is necessary to SSH into Volumio box and manually mount it into “/mnt/USB” After mounting it is also necessary to manually rescan music collection “Settings->Sources->Rescan”. Manually mounted drive is visible until restart, then steps above must be executed again.

You probably sent a log before, but it would be really good to do one again with Volumio 3.
I know we have had problems automounting usb drives, but I can’t remember we had a report with ext4 being the issue.
Howto: Send a log
I’ll have a look as soon as you post a link to the log.

When Volumio 3 was released, I directly connected with Volumio’s support team and sent my log directly to Volumio support e-mail.

Here it is new log: http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/DgEdtR6.html

Fresh install, ext4 formatted usb drive connected.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Volumio 3 - Erased my local music library

There is something odd about this, there is no udev partition mount request, though the M3 Portable is “registered” as device /dev/sda. It is not a UAS type of drive, so I would expect it to be treated as a normal usb disk.
Did you label the disk?

When you have time, could you do the same, but start without the device connected, wait till you hear the startup sound, plug in the drive and then create the log after a few seconds?

Yes I formatted it into ext4 and labeled it as “Muusika”. It was in exFAT or NTFS when I bought it couple years ago. I post log later, I sent it, but it log address gave 404 error.

Using log adress in Firefox ubuntu always returns me error 404… I open it in an other browser (dillo)… I never searched why though…

Here is log: https://logs.volumio.org/volumio/s4LsBUK.html

I restarted system and connected my drive after system is started up.

No device action visible, it is recognized by the kernel but nothing else happens.
It should have triggered the networkfs plugin, which executes the partition mount request.
But it never gets there.

Could you this for me:

lsblk -l --output-all /dev/sda

Please copy it here, but put a “```” (without the quotes) as a first line and finishing line
That should give you something like this

NAME KNAME PATH      MAJ:MIN FSAVAIL FSSIZE FSTYPE FSUSED FSUSE% MOUNTPOINT LABEL UUID                                 PTUUID                               PTTYPE PARTTYPE PARTLABEL PARTUUID                             PARTFLAGS  RA RO RM HOTPLUG MODEL                   SERIAL            SIZE STATE   OWNER GROUP MODE       ALIGNMENT MIN-IO OPT-IO PHY-SEC LOG-SEC ROTA SCHED       RQ-SIZE TYPE DISC-ALN DISC-GRAN DISC-MAX DISC-ZERO WSAME WWN                RAND PKNAME HCTL       TRAN   SUBSYSTEMS      REV VENDOR   ZONED
sda  sda   /dev/sda    8:0                                                                                             a230ec04                             dos                                                                      128  0  0       0 Samsung_SSD_870_QVO_1TB S5SVNG0N826664A 931.5G running             brw-rw----         0    512      0     512     512    0 mq-deadline      64 disk        0      512B       2G         0    0B 0x5002538f7080d5c8    0        0:0:0:0    sata   block:scsi:pci 1B6Q ATA      none
sda1 sda1  /dev/sda1   8:1                  vfat                                  C965-4E94                            a230ec04                             dos    0xef               a230ec04-01                          0x80      128  0  0       0                                           512M                     brw-rw----         0    512      0     512     512    0 mq-deadline      64 part        0      512B       2G         0    0B 0x5002538f7080d5c8    0 sda                      block:scsi:pci               none

Output of command

volumio@muusikakarp:~$ lsblk -l --output-all /dev/sda
NAME KNAME PATH MAJ:MIN FSAVAIL FSSIZE FSTYPE FSUSED FSUSE% MOUNTPOINT LABEL UUID                                 PTUUID PTTYPE PARTTYPE PARTLABEL PARTUUID PARTFLAGS  RA RO RM HOTPLUG MODEL SERIAL   SIZE STATE OWNER GROUP MODE       ALIGNMENT MIN-IO OPT-IO PHY-SEC LOG-SEC ROTA SCHED RQ-SIZE TYPE DISC-ALN DISC-GRAN DISC-MAX DISC-ZERO WSAME WWN                RAND PKNAME HCTL       TRAN SUBSYSTEMS  REV VENDOR ZONED
sda  sda   /dev/sda
                  8:0                  ext4                            Muusika-1
                                                                             1f11bbda-3ff2-4fba-8c9f-de5c2c9816df                                                     128  0  0       1 ST100 WC0231 931.5G runni             brw-rw----         0    512      0     512     512    1 cfq       128 disk        0        0B       0B         0    0B 0x5000c500bea27a50    1        0:0:0:0    usb  block:scsi:usb:platform
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               9300 Seagat 
volumio@muusikakarp:~$ 

aha, no partition visible, with a single partition I expected /dev/sda1.
So volumio won’t see one either…

There is definitely something wrong with the ext4 formatting.
Would you check this with

sudo parted -s /dev/sda unit MB print

please?

Model: Seagate M3 Portable (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 1000205MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: loop
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End        Size       File system  Flags
 1      0.00MB  1000205MB  1000205MB  ext4
1 Like

“Loop” means parted reports a missing partition table.
You have an incorrectly formatted disk, this will not work.
Always creating a partition table, especially if formatted on Windows before.
Only then create a new file system.

I haven’t used this disc on windows machine, I don’t have any :smiley: I bought it and first just reformatted it. I can reformat disc after back-up and then try again.

It is interesting that my ArchLinux machine don’t have no problems with it. Volumio 2 also worked just fine with this disc. Mounting it manually works also in Volumio 3.

Then it is probably something to do with new Debian base system.

Volumio 2 probably worked because it could use a specific debian package for automounting, but that was with Debian jessie, the package does not exist anymore with buster, so we need to rely on udev device actions, which are reported by the kernel.
The issue with a missing partition table is that udev never generates a device action to add a partition, because there is no partition table.

I confirm that I got my disk problem solved. Now my disk is automatically detected and music is accessible.

I created partition table and then created partition. And only then formatted created partition into ext4. I don’t remember how I got such kind of bad habit of not creating partition tables :smiley: Maybe just thought that it is not necessary for non-system disks.

Good thing is that, now I can introduce Volumio 3 in estonian Hi-Fi enthusiasts FB group!

1 Like

:+1: Glad I could help. I think this can be added to the issues list for others to profit from.
It is actually the first time that I have been able to go to the bottom of this with your help.

:+1: This kind of issue may influence other file systems as well. There are all sorts of different disks out there.

For conclusion.

I did a bit of research about formatting disk as I did VS using partition table. Turns out that not having partition table is considered somewhat unusual, but not incorrect or wrong. If partition occupies whole disk, then partition table is not needed unless it is system disc with bootable OS. Partition table serves as index for disk when multiple partitions are used.

Probably something that should be included in doc/faq. Good that it is a problem solved, and I’ve marked it as such. Thanks, Marko. :smiley: