Volumio 2 - Various Artists Albums not displaying correctly

Indeed, I didn’t mean the folder approach was better, but I’d like to have it as an option. The files could be effectively read-only (a borrowed USB stick).

In that thread, …t1834.html, "jotak"suggested this was default behaviour in v1.5 but was it removed in v2?

Agree with LinkeLoutje that standard ID3 logic (using artist tag only if albumartist is null/empty) should apply. Also, in that thread, …t1834.html, "jotak"suggested this was default behaviour in v1.5 … so was it removed in v2?

I agree with LinkeLoutje. ID3 standards.

Also, I’m a bit confused. Following the link to …t1834.html shows that “jotak” suggested that this albumartist/artist behaviour was default in v1.5:

"Library and Album Artist
Postby jotak » Thu Nov 06 2014 07:28

VFW-Fokker wrote: Hi, I’m just wondering if anyone had any success in modifying Volumio to allow sorting by Album Artist?..

jotak replied: It’s now the default behaviour, it has been implemented in 1.5, so now album artist is used in priority, then if it’s not found “artist” is used."

Hmmm, no. That doesn’t happen with my v2. Was it reverted back, to artist only, in v2?

Thanks for a great product, btw!

Jup that’s what confused me as well! Plus the offered solution to change it yourself is not working anymore…

Sorry to revive an old thread but is there any update as to when a solution to this issue will be added into Volumio? The album view and artist view are unusable for me in it’s current state. I have all my music properly tagged with both album artist and track artist, which means I get a ridiculous amount of entries for most albums. Various artist albums are the worst, but any albums that feature tracks that have other artists featuring are also a problem. Having that many entries makes the view very slow and impossible to use. Same for the artist view.

Surely there must be lots of people having this issue?

Apart from this issue Volumio looks amazing. Really glad I checked it out!

Hello,

For me it is the same. I cannot use volumio at my stereo with all my music because i have about 200 compilation Albums. I still use it as prototype, it is so close to be perfect.

Will there be a solution for this problem in the next release or the next future?

Thank you

+1 :slight_smile:

We’ve fixed that. You can try the new image:
updates.volumio.org/pi/volumio/2 … pi.img.zip

Hi michelangelo,

thank you for your answer. The thing with the various artists makes me crazy on older mp3 players (e.g. iPod Mini).

On the current iPhones they search by “artist” and if “album artist” is set by this token. And this is a very good solution, so I retagged all the files.

It makes me really happy that the feature will come to volumio to.

Thanks again for your great work.

Excellent! Will try it out on Sunday

FANTASTICO

Great, it works.

I just tried the new image, tested it with one compilation album.

Thank you very much

Can we upgrade from 2.041 without writing a new image (and wiping out configuration)? Check Updates says “No Updates Available”.

Well, I still have the problem. Typically, I seet only track artists, no album artist.
album.png
Version is 2.118.

I tried the new image (2.118) and it works.

You have to tag “album artist” with an unique name for the whole album.

Hi, I just upgraded from version 1.55 to version 2.118 and am seeing the same problem. Perhaps this feature works in some places but not others. The place it’s not working for me is on the Genres item in the main menu on the Browse tab. I select one of my genres that has only four albums, three of which are compilations and that have album artist set to “Various Artists”. On the genre page that then diplays, in the Artists section each track artist is listed separately, so compilation albums have an entry for each track. There is no entry for “Various Artists” in the list. I would expect to see one entry for “Various Artists” and another for the artist of the one album that’s not a compilation.

On the other hand, if I select “Artists” from the main menu, there is an item for “Various Artists” in the list that appears. It looks like the various track artists that only appear on compilation albums are not shown, as I would expect. However, when I click on “Various Artists”, the list that is displayed shows only a few albums, but I have around 100 compilation albums in my library. I’ve verified that they have album artist set properly. So, somehow a lot of albums are missing from the list.

This is my first post. I’ve been using Volumio for a couple of years and really like it. Thanks to the developers for all the hard work.

O.k., but that seems to be a bit weird. I have lot’s of jazz albums where nearly every track has a different artist. To get it working, I’ve to tag lot’s of albums with “album artist” set to some arbitrary value.

Why not just grouping by “album” tag in the album section?

Regards,

Stephan

Because different artists could have albums with the same title, in which case, to prevent them being shown as a compilation, you’d have to set the “album artist” the same as the “artist”.

Hm, I do not quite understand. I think you want to distinguish albums with the same title. This will work out if both albums have different album artists but not if both albums with the same title are compilations (with tag album artist set to i.e. “Various Artists”).

This turned out to be a tagging error on my part. Several tracks erroneously had “Various Artists” as their Artist tag rather than Album Artist. After I fixed this, all the compilation albums appeared together under “Various Artists”. This is when selecting the Artists item in the top level Browse tab. It still doesn’t work as I expect if I choose Genres from the top level, then select a particular genre to see its artists list.