Volumio 2 on TV box Amlogic S9xxx S8xxx

If the installation of Armbian in the internal memory works on your TV box, then can write a similar script that can install Volumio.

Please note the manual installation method (using the current version of the script “install.sh”) is designed for a new version of u-boot (which Is used in khadas products). If you use it on other TV boxes, there is a possibility of incorrect operation and the system will not start, you will have to restore the TV box.

Activation of multi-boot can be performed in different ways.

1. Through the “toothpick” button.
  2. Through the regular menu in Android (Update&Backup).
    The details many times been described on forum Armbian or Khadas.

You may have to release two variants of Volumio images (with different kernel and module variants).

1. for TV boxes (which have only USB for connection of external DAC).
  2. For single-Board models that have an additional connector (40 pin), to which you can connect different devices through i2s \ GPIO, etc.

Small statistics download images Volumio. I wonder what the stats downloads links servers Volumio ?

yadi.sk/i/DMtUEuSO3WH8tz

Thank you for your assistance.

I have performed a procedure as described here: github.com/150balbes/Amlogic_s9 … multi_boot

After I pressed the Update button system rebooted. After I took out SD card I was able to boot Android normally.

I made 8GB FAT32 partition on my SD card and used Win32DiskImager to write “Volumio-0.7-2018-05-20-aml9xxxarmv7” image on it. After that I copied dtb.img file from the manufacturer firmware upgrade set to the root of the SD card. When I insert the SD card in my Android box and power it up I got Amlogic leopard S905X logo but after that it gets stucked displaying “MBOX” letters in different colours.

If I take out the SD card I am able to boot Android normally.

If I try to use one of your DTB files I got stuck at black screen after the S905X leopard logo.

Do you have an idea what I did wrong? Should I try with different DTB files you provided? As I don’t need HDMI output but USB, should I use version 0.6 instead of 0.7?

P.S. My box is Tannix TX3 Pro box with 1GB of RAM, 8GB of flash and S905X proc.
geekbuying.com/item/Tanix-T … 69442.html

1. Check the startup Volumio without the file " dtb.img".
  2. If you do not start within 10 minutes, try to turn all the files “gxl*” (copy, rename to “dtb.img” and check the start, wait for at least 5 minutes).

Checked and added to the site image of V 0.5 for S802\S812.
Sound works.
Please note, I have Tronsmart MXIII Plus, it was necessary to enable the option "sound Normalization"in the settings (via the web interface). Without this option, instead of the output sound, there was a hiss.

Ok. Which version should I use, v0.6 or v0.7?

First try version 0.7, if your USB module is undecided, you need to try all other versions (0.6->0.5…0.1).

I tried without DTB file with version 0.6 and after app 4 minutes a lot of commands are running through the screen.

Here are last few lines on display when it stopped:

07.130248@0 aml_sd_emmc_irq sdio: resp_timeout, vstat:0xa3ff2800,virqc:bfff
07.130258@3 aml_host_busfsm_show sdio: err: wait for irq service, bus_fsm:0x8
07.130259@3 aml_sd_emmc_data_thread 2639 sdio: cmd: 52
07.130278@3 RTL871X: ERROR HalPwrSeqCmdParsing: Fail to polling Offset(0x5)=01

Check on the router, there is a new device “volumio” in the network or not. If it appears, try to connect to it from the browser at " volumio.local".

That name cannot be resolved. I checked in my router (which is DHCP server for my network) and managed to find IP address so I managed to access the device via Volumio web interface. I got it to start playing via USB DAC and then I changed wired network address to static so I don’t have to guess in the future what it is. The device rebooted and now it is working. It seems to have the same functionality as Volumio on my Raspberry.

Is there any chance that boot time gets shorter than 5 minutes? :slight_smile:

P.S. how to turn off Volumio internal hotspot when I’m using wired connection?

This stuff is running on the screen on each boot.

07.130248@0 aml_sd_emmc_irq sdio: resp_timeout, vstat:0xa3ff2800,virqc:bfff
07.130258@3 aml_host_busfsm_show sdio: err: wait for irq service, bus_fsm:0x8
07.130259@3 aml_sd_emmc_data_thread 2639 sdio: cmd: 52
07.130278@3 RTL871X: ERROR HalPwrSeqCmdParsing: Fail to polling Offset(0x5)=01

It is the same error repeating over and over until it eventually stops saying:

systemd-journald(2865): /dev/kmsg buffer overrun, some messages lost.

I believe it has something to do with the WiFi driver. Is that the reason why boot time is so long (5 minutes)?

Through the web interface you can disable WiFi.
On communications error - the system cannot correctly activate your WiFi RTL. You can turn off all unnecessary settings here are the same as in normal Debian. Can be configured via SSH.

Having boot time of 5-6 minutes is really the biggest problem. Is it because of incorrect WiFi driver in the image or for some other reason?

How long does it take for S905X box to boot Volumio for those of you who had correct drivers?

According to this web page Tanix TX3 Pro has 9082xs WiFi chipset.
specdevice.com/showspec.php?id=a … 870033c587

When I check WLAN status with Volumio web interface it says it is off but I’m still getting hundreds of error messages each time I boot the device.

But, as I said, boot time of 5-6 minutes is my biggest issue, so please assist if you have an idea how to reduce it.

Added image with new kernel for s805 v0.5. In this embodiment, similarly to s812 to choose in settings, sound normalization.

Can you please comment if boost time of 6 minutes is normal or there is something wrong with my installation?

Check the output of the “lsmod” command, if there are extra modules, write their lock in the black list.

This is hardly the answer to my question. Can you please say what is the expected boot time for the Volumio image on S905X system?

Regarding your answer - how would I know which modules are “extra”? You made the image so you should know which modules are required to run Volumio and which are not.

In my opinion, if you can’t make boot time for Volumio image on S905X to be under 1 minute than fixing that should be your priority and not support for S805 and other platforms.

1. I don’t owe you anything.
  2. You didn’t hire me to work for you to decide what I should do first.
  3. I have on Khodas VIM, after configuring the system (according to my requirements), starting the system with a good (fast) SD card takes 15-20 seconds, the total start takes (running all plug-ins, automatically connecting to selected services and starting to play the sound defined in the media settings) 1-2 minutes.
  4. I don’t have your TV box to know what’s wrong with it. I don’t know what media you’re using.
  1. If you make something available as a product than you should provide support. Or state clearly that you would not do it.
  2. I wasn’t deciding, I was suggesting. Improving product based on customer’s suggestions should be a normal practice.
  3. OK. If that is so why don’t you ask others on this forum about their boot time?
  4. There is nothing wrong with my Tanix TX3 Pro box. It boots Android 6 fast (app 30 sec) and plays 4K videos from NAS over Ethernet without a glitch.
    I’m using Sandisk Ultra SD card. With that same card Raspberry Pi 3 B+ boots Volumio in 15 seconds.

I have uploaded several test DTBS to the Volumio directory. Try them yourself.

Thank you, for your help, but I cannot find the dtb files in your server, where I can find them?