Volumio 2 on Odroid Boards

Thanks!

i2s does require a HAT though ā€¦ the 'HiFi Shield"

Why do I need a HAT for use the onboard I2S output of the C2???
As I see the Odroid Hifi Shield contains just a DAC chip, but I donā€™t need analog outputs at allā€¦

Hello
thanks for the great work you are doing on the hardkernel SBoards

I have a C4 and hifi2 board and I still have the problem that the DAC gives a very distorted audio signal if you put the mixer to none. If I use the hardware mixer (as supposed to use if you want to control the volume), the audio signal goes into saturation at about 55% of the max volume possible ā€¦ compared to my c1+ with hifi board , the C4 cannot be used at the max volume settings with the current configuration. My question : is there anything that can be done use the board (short of buying a hifi board and replace the hifi2 board? or does the hifi board have the same issue?
Philip
PS ā€¦ for the N2 ā€¦ does it use the onboard DAC and what is the quality as otherwise I will replace the complete system by the N2+

I already changed the driver to cap the volume and thinking about it to give it another go.
But it remains fighting a symptom from our side and should be solved by Hardkernel.
There is not much else that can be done about it.
I have not tried the onboard audio connector and did not enable it for the volumio image.
It needs two pins to be soldered to the board and guess not many will do that.
In case there is a demand, I will consider support for it.

As for the N2/N2+, yes, it uses the onboard DAC for the headphone/ line out.
I find it sounds way better than most other sbcā€™s onboard audio, but only when using a linear power supply.
With Hardkernelā€™s standard power supply there is a (with headphones noticable) very faint humm when idle.

AFAIK Hardkernel prepared a patch to enable the hifi shields being used with the 7-pin connector (soldering required).
This should end up in their next kernel version, however, the shields will have to be wired as the physical 7-pin position does not match the C-boards.
It also hits the emmc module, for me a no-go.
But, when there is demand, I will consider support for it.
When SPDIF is an option, you will find it on pin J7-2, see my next post

You donā€™t really, spdif is on pin J7-2. I use with a 100ohm resistor (just to be on the safe side).

Many thanks!

Thanks for your swift response and your excellent answers ā€¦
both my n2 devices and my c1+ are connected to a linear power supply sourced from China and the combination is very good (about 80 USD per powersuppply and they come in 5 V and 12V versions. The difference is indeed noticeable. I am running the N2 as a tv box on Android (native to Hardkernel) and VLC to play back music and it is good but not as good as the c1+ /hifi shield and Volumio (amplifier is a Yarland tube EL34) so if the n2+ runs volumio that would be a nice alternative (and I consider the C4 to be used on other projects :slight_smile: ). You recommend the N2+ 2 or 4 Gig Ram and you run it at the max speed or you run at a lower speed so no need for a ventilator? Additionally, the image works for both n2 and n2+ as otherwise I repurpose my old N2 for volumio (no ventilator) ā€¦

Thanks
Philip

yes, the N2 image will work on N2 and N2+, 2Gb is more than enough.
It will run on max speed and still does not get hot with the standard heatsink, a ventilator is not required.

Good news, Odroid C4ā€™s ā€œsecretā€ lineout/ headphone on header J4 works like a charm.
Needs careful soldering, but the result is worth it.
It will be added to the next version (jessie/buster).
For those that canā€™t wait: it only needs a small modification to /boot/config.ini.
Just replace overlays= by overlays=lineout

And the sound is amazingly smooth, wonder why this was never considered for a normal lineout port.

Preview Volumio N2 buster
Preview Volumio C4 buster
No support yet, as is says, it is a preview. Feedback of course welcome.

1 Like

Please try the HiFi Shield on the version from the previous post, I lowered output further, but canā€™t guarantee, it is way off Hardkernel settingsā€¦
It is beta, but should be ok for testingā€¦

Hello,
First of all thanks for providing version for Odroid.

I have few issues with my first installation of Volumio on my Odroid N2+ device.
Initial wizard finishes successfully and Volumio is configured.
1st Issue: There is audio only from headphone output. Iā€™d like to use HDMI Audio but there is no sound going to the receiver. Below is a output from system info plugin.
2nd Issue: Using the analogue headphone output while playing DSD files there is a noise coming from the speakers. Music can be heard but there is constant noise also.
Playing FLAC files everything seems fine.

Log file while trying to play radio station with HDMI Out
http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/oL2pOpM.html

System Information

• OS info

• Version of Volumio: 2.857

• Hostname: volumio

• Kernel: 4.9.230+

• Governor: performance

• Uptime: 0 days, 0 Hrs, 6 Minutes, 6 Seconds

• Audio info

• Hw audio configured: HDMI Audio

• Mixer type: Hardware

• Number of channels: 2

• Supported sample rate: 44100 48000 88200 96000 176400 192000

• Board info

• Manufacturer:

• Model: HARDKERNEL ODROID-N2PLUS

• Version: 0400

• Firmware Version: -

volumio@volumio:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: AMLAUGESOUND [AML-AUGESOUND], device 0: SPDIF-B-dit-hifi dit-hifi-0
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: AMLAUGESOUND [AML-AUGESOUND], device 1: TDM-C-T9015-audio-hifi T9015-audio-hifi-1
card 0: AMLAUGESOUND [AML-AUGESOUND], device 2: SPDIF-dit-hifi dit-hifi-2

Hopefully there is an easy solution to this :slight_smile:

me too :see_no_evil:
Thanks for the logs, I will have a look (a little busy atm, please understand)

1 Like

Just tried Preview Volumio N2 buster you provided above. Same problem :frowning:
Itā€™s nothing urgent of course. Testing the platform and different options :slight_smile:

yes, small updates are still pending, like i2s support on 7-pin connector and power on/off button.
Power On/Off supports the suggestions posted at the Odroid forum

Great job and great sound on my Odroid C1+ and C2 boards. Has Volumio stopped support for Odroid boards? They are not listed for downloads?

They will continue be available, but only from the Community Portings section in this community forum.

Thank you. Would it be possible to get customised version for Odroid? Iā€™m thinking of starting to make streamers commercially.

possibly, there is a form for it, see the contact link at the bottom of the volumio.org home page. Fill in your email and the message. They may also suggest alternatives as these boards are old and Hardkernel already announced EOL for C2. I believe C1 may follow soon.