Volumio 2 for Cuboxi

The Newer Cubox-i devices have a built in Micro USB to RS-232 serial adapter. That might be able to help you get more info on what is happening, so that @gkkpch can help you solve your problem.

Do you know how to make use of the serial console? This page might be able to help you figure it out if you don’t.
wiki.solid-run.com/doku.php?id= … om:usbuart

@gkkpch I’ve not looked at the cubox-i build you might need to enable the serial console for this to work.

It is activated, needed it for checking my builds.

I use LAN only and it’s two scenarios to hang Volumio:

1. Start scan folders on NAS - it start scan, showing some NAS folders and files in browse and hangs in about 10min
  2. Copy big ±100Mb files from PC or NAS to the Volumio local folder - also hangs in about 10min
    I use Nillkin Charger 5V 2A power supply, and Matrix Mini Pro DAC connected to the cubox USB
    Volumio v2.129 only now

I believe I was still able to ssh into it, I will check over the weekend with that.
To answer your other questions,

Does it crash while using wireless? the cubox-i is hooked up LAN

Where is the library, USB, NAS? the files for the library are stored on my NAS also hardwired into my network, I only have things wireless that absolutely MUST be.

What power supply are you using? I have used the official power supply and my usb power hub https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OQ19QYA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Version 1.5 of volumio worked perfectly with my setup with official power and this

What else is connected to the cubox? Just my receiver via s/pdif

Did you try the version which was postet further above? I have tried every version I can get my hands on, anything past 1.5 has this issue. I have added small amounts to the library and it works, but taking in the whole thing no. The RPi 3 does not have this problem, also powered by my usb power hub but the RPi has stereo out or hdmi, I do not have HDMI input on my receiver so that throws out using the RPi 3 for me, plus the extra horsepower and memory the cubox-i has is my usual go to for anything i try to use these devices for just the RPi has better community support and development on most projects.

As @z-dima already has issues when doing a plain copy, we might have networking problems, can’t think of anything else. If there is an opportunity to log in after it ‘crashed’ then a dmesg or journalctl might give us a hint.

I can offer to update the kernel to 4.9.x, give me a couple of days to get this done.
When @thederk123 and @z-dima could PM me their e-mail addresses then I will make a dev version available beginning of next week.
No promise that this solves the issue, but at least we would have the latest Solidrun imx-fslc kernel.

the site will not allow me to send a private message yet, maybe you can change that?

Sorry, I’m not the admin :unamused:
Let’s try it the other way around, I’ll send you a PM

I’ve been running the V2.239 (July 25 2017) build on my Cubox-i since last year (since the Pi builds simply do not work properly with my USB sound interface) and I see it is now not directly supported.

Is it possible to somehow install the latest community build as an upgrade keeping my existing configuration, or is a fresh installation the only option ?

After either installing or updating to the latest community build will the built in “Check Update” feature ever work or will it always require a manual download to update to newer versions ?

PS the drop.me link on the first page of this thread does not work for me - it just times out, so I cannot actually download the community build.

yes, the latest published version was a pre-updater version, with the next version this should be OK for future updates. It is new for Cubox and therefore needs thorough testing before it can be confirmed. A next version will take a little time as I’m updating the kernel first, in the hope to solve the crash while building the library issue.
After that community testing can start, please bear with us for a while.

I’ve renew the link so you can test.

Taime

Thanks.

I assume for these builds a fresh install is required ? Is it possible to back up my configuration or am I best to just take screenshots and reconfigure manually ?

The only plugin I use is the spotify connect plugin, so it would just be that and my NAS sources and library configuration to set up again.

After the first boot you have a very smart config wizard which find your shared and help you to configure your DAC. It’s really easy.

The best is to have a second micro SD card. If thing go wrong you can go back…
But from my experience (more than one month), I’ve find no problems.

Taime.

Thanks for the download links. :slight_smile:

I ended up taking screenshots of my configuration and installing the latest image you linked to on a different SD card so I could go back if I needed to.

All seemed to go well including the setup wizard and I was able to reconnect my NAS shares. My USB sound card is detected and is working properly.

I was able to install the spotifyconnect 2 plugin and that is also working well so far.

One thing I noticed is that it seems a LOT faster than the previous version I was running! :smiley: It had become quite sluggish, particularly in the library browser (artists, albums etc) which would take a long time to scroll and update when navigating. And sometimes it would slow right down and become somewhat unresponsive, requiring a reboot. Now it seems almost instant navigating the artist/album library.

I don’t know if the SD card is faster than the one the old installation was on (it probably is as it’s a better card) or whether it’s software improvements or a bit of both but the difference in speed is very obvious, so I’m happy about that.

One quick question I have - is the IR receiver in the Cubox-i supported at the moment or in the future ? I installed the IR Remote controller plugin, added the Odroid C2 profile on my Harmony one remote and chose Odroid for the remote type but I don’t get any response.

It wasn’t working on the old version I ran either so I’m assuming that the Cubox-i’s IR receiver isn’t currently supported ?

Volumio for CuboxI V.2.389

drop.me/Bk4OEb

Same as above, just re hosting on my google drive for faster downloading
drive.google.com/open?id=1-pkpT … vlXvsVigdz

currently testing this build, so far so good, not crashing on adding my NFS library. Crossing my fingers here

crashed

I cannot SSH into this build either…

You must authorized SSH from volumio.local/dev/

Taime

I think we need an updated kernel, built one yesterday from the armbian repo.
Hope to be able to test it the next few days.