Volumio 2 crashes on library update

I have been running Volumio 1.5 on my Raspberry Pi B version 1.2. I have my music mounted from a NFS share.

I decided today to upgrade to Volumio 2. After I have mounted the NFS share, it starts to scan the folder. But after a short while, it crashes, and the system stops responding. It only gets a little while before it crashes, the UI says something like two artist, eleven albums discovered.

Why is this happening on Volumio 2, when it worked fine on Volumio 1.5? Do I need some options when I mount the share?

I had the same problem. Volumio is critical on the quality of your files. I don’t know why, but on 2 songs in my whole collection the scanning stopped. After removing these files from te library, I had no problems anymore.

You have to look into the system with terminal (ssh volumio@192.168.xx.xx pw volumio) and watch the live logging with the command

sudo journalctl -f

Then you see where it stucks.

I had the same problem…

First of all thank you volumio team for a nice music player solution. Spotify, webradio, touch display plugin works. Nice ! Except of this “small” annoying “feature” ( not bug :slight_smile: )

I did fresh flash of volumio, and try lot of times to scan my music collections.

The scanning process hangs up always on same place. After removing the problematic file and his neighbors ( the complete folder), next scan ran trough this point ( number of scanned files), but hangs up on another place ( another song, folder). I have a feeling that this procedure will be some kind of never ending story.

I did next test : I divide my music library into smaller packets ( lots of folders), and add to volumio music library them one by one, as previous group scan successfully finished. In this way I can almost scan all my musics, while loosing only small quantity of data. Finally it looked that there was no more problematic files, which caused error.

After that I remove all mounts, collect my music collections into one “big” network share, and start scan … and the error came back !

So that was the moment when I gave up, and decide to write this post.

I think, it is not on user to find out which file(s) is(are) not compatible with the system, particularly if there are lot of problematic files.

The older version of volumio did not have this issue ( before 2), and MPD scanned correctly the music database on Ubuntu installation.

If the development team need from my side any more information, help or test ( let me do this and this …), do not hesitate to ask me :slight_smile:

Here is my configuration :

ODROID C2 with volumio 2016-2.030-volumio flashed onto SD card.
Music collections are on : HP ProLiant MicroServer AMD Athlon™ II Neo N36L Dual-Core Processor
operating system is : nas4free 11.0.0.4 - Sayyadina (3305)
sharing is CIFS/SMB, file system is UFS

Here is the log ( sudo journalctl -f ):

Dec 03 20:46:26 volumio mpd[2581]: update: added NAS/Music_02/Various Artist/Paris Lounge Night/13-robinn-le_mas.flac
Dec 03 20:46:26 volumio mpd[2581]: update: added NAS/Music_02/Various Artist/Paris Lounge Night/04-catharina_josy-autumn_in_paris.flac
Dec 03 20:46:26 volumio mpd[2581]: update: added NAS/Music_02/Various Artist/Paris Lounge Night/01-lemongrass-bonjour.flac
Dec 03 20:46:26 volumio kernel: Unhandled fault: alignment fault (0x92000021) at 0x00000000ee39f926
Dec 03 20:46:26 volumio systemd[1]: mpd.service: main process exited, code=killed, status=7/BUS
Dec 03 20:46:26 volumio systemd[1]: Unit mpd.service entered failed state.
Dec 03 20:46:26 volumio kernel: aiu i2s playback disable
Dec 03 20:46:26 volumio kernel: audio_hw_958_enable 0
Dec 03 20:46:26 volumio systemd[1]: mpd.service holdoff time over, scheduling restart.
Dec 03 20:46:26 volumio systemd[1]: Stopping Music Player Daemon…
Dec 03 20:46:26 volumio systemd[1]: Starting Music Player Daemon…
Dec 03 20:46:26 volumio systemd[1]: Started Music Player Daemon.
Dec 03 20:46:27 volumio mpd[2992]: zeroconf: No global port, disabling zeroconf
Dec 03 20:46:28 volumio volumio[2618]: info: CoreCommandRouter::executeOnPlugin: mpd , getMyCollectionStats
Dec 03 20:46:28 volumio volumio[2618]: MPD error: Error: This socket has been ended by the other party
Dec 03 20:46:28 volumio volumio[2618]: MPD error: Error: This socket has been ended by the other party
Dec 03 20:46:32 volumio volumio[2618]: info: CoreCommandRouter::executeOnPlugin: mpd , getMyCollectionStats
Dec 03 20:46:32 volumio volumio[2618]: MPD error: Error: This socket has been ended by the other party
Dec 03 20:46:32 volumio volumio[2618]: MPD error: Error: This socket has been ended by the other party
Dec 03 20:46:36 volumio volumio[2618]: info: CoreCommandRouter::executeOnPlugin: mpd , getMyCollectionStats
Dec 03 20:46:36 volumio volumio[2618]: assert.js:85
Dec 03 20:46:36 volumio volumio[2618]: throw new assert.AssertionError({
Dec 03 20:46:36 volumio volumio[2618]: ^

Thank You in foreward for ideas, help and solution,
with best regards, Tot Árpád - Hungary

Thanks for the reply.

I monitored the log like you suggested, and started another update. This time, it seemed like the update got a lot further, until it finally crashed again. There was no error message in the log, just a complete freeze. I found this strange, so I restarted the device, and started the update over, without removing the files where it stopped previously. It crashed again, but not at the same point, it didn’t get nearly as far this time.

When I restart the device, there are no log entries that explains the crash. The unit itself gets quite hot, could this be the issue? It has an Hifi-berry Dac attached to it. But again, it ran Volumio 1.5 without any problems.

What worked for me was, giving time (I know this sounds stupid, but I have my whole NAS now on 3 v2 (2xpi0, 1xpi3).
It is annoying, but when I set up a Volumio, I just mount the NAS and then I leave the player alone for at least 24-36 hours.
Even if it stopts (and it did very often checking the logs) it seems to continue some times later…

Let me ask You : and finally your music library was completed ? I mean no missing tracks ( except defected), and all songs available via browser interface ?
If Yes is the answer I will give a try … but this feature is really funny …
So what is the procedure ? Adding mounts one by one, and left volumio alone to do the job ? And forget it for few days ?

Ok, so I found a workaround to this issue (not totyc’s issue), but it’s not pretty:

I bought a Raspberry Pi 3, installed Volumio 2 on it, and scanned my music folder. Took about 15 minutes for 7500 tracks. Then I just put the microSD-card in an adapter, and booted the Raspberry Pi 1.2 with the DAC on. And viola, full library, and high quality music.

Perhaps shaDNfro’s solution would have worked if I just had let it run for long enough, but with the workaround, I won’t have to.

Solution: Switched to RuneAudio. Interface much faster, indexing library without any problem. I liked Volumio, but it seems that from version 2 it is no longer suitable for RPi 1st gen.

My solution seems to use a wifi dongle instead of the wired connection on my original Pi B.
It doesn’t hang at the moment, it has been scanning for at least an hour or 2 by now… whereas previous it would hang up after 10 minutes.
Oh yes, and while I’m scanning I’m playing music from Spotify.