Volumio 2 2.254 on MacBook

I installed Volumio 2 2.201 on my 2007 MacBook black, and did the updates thru to ver 2.254.

I have the following issues:

1. during boot the following error is displayed for 3mins before booting continues.After Volumio has booted, the wired network connection works ok without issues.
    “A start job is running for LSB: Raise network interfaces (XXXs / no limit)”

This error did not happen on the first boot after upgrading to 2.246, but started again after upgrade to 2.254

1. Shutdown and Restart do not work - Neither work and just show a blank screen (that characters can be typed upon) and nothing happens. Shutdown/restart worked after upgrading to 2.246,but stopped working again after upgrade to 2.254

2. Where is the option for “consume” in the playlist ‘queue’ screen, there is no icon to click on the top RHS of the screen.

Any help would be appreciated.

Just to ensure we do not have regression with. ersions after 2.201, can you confirm 2.201 did not have any of these issues?
Option ‘consume’ has no relation with x86/macbook, please open another thread for that, thanks.

Apologies if I wasn’t clear. 2.201 had all of the same issues.

I believe the last version to have consume mode working was 2.118. Lack of consume mode is what is holding me back from reverting to Volumio as my primary player. I’ll be making a donation when it returns.

Personally I never thought that consume mode would be missed so much… We’ll add it again then, no ETA but we’ll do…

Thank you. :slight_smile: I’m from a time before playlists and when I put an album on, be it vinyl, CD or Volumio I want it to finish when, finishes.

I was trying a new XMOS XU208 interface with the Macbook yesterday, and for the first boot that it was connected it skipped right through without showing the “A start job is running for LSB: Raise network interfaces (XXXs / no limit)” error and there was no 3 min delay. Also shutdown worked correctly after this first boot.

Subsequent boots resulted in the same 3min delay and shutdown/reboot not working. Perhaps these 2 issues are related some how?

re:consume - thanks for planning to add that back in.

Are there any suggestions to solve the boot/shutdown issues? Any help would be appreciated.

I removed the Wifi card from my MacBook but there was no difference on boot, the error message remained(and shutdown/restart did not work).

Any ideas?

Nope, unfortunately do not own a macbook, so it is nearly impossible to make suggestions.
Perhaps you could produce a log on the /dev page for us?

Not sure what this is: can you elaborate please?
Also trying to better identify hardware: about Mac model, is it 13" mid 2007 (MacBook2,1 MB063LL/A) or late 2007 (MacBook3,1 MB063LL/B) ?

Log would definitely be welcome.

It’s a USB audio interface.

I have a late 2007 (MacBook3,1 MB063LL/B)

For some reason I am now not able to upgrade from 2.201, as Volumio says it’s the latest version when I click “check updates”.

Log here: logs.volumio.org/volumio/cwKbsq5.html

hmm, not seeing the things I was hoping for.
Still, thank you for offering your time to help us trying to understand what is happening.

Could you please, when the system is up, ssh in and make a little change in the grub config?
For that, go to /boot/grub and edit the lines (IIRC there are 2) in grub.conf

BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-3.18.25 imgpart=UUID=6c0d3184-7851-46c3-919b-ed4c1d379708 ro bootpart=UUID=CC23-EE0D imgfile=volumio_current.sqsh splash quiet plymouth.ignore-serial-consoles vt.global_cursor_default=0 loglevel=0

and change the loglevel to 1, so each occurrence reads

BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-3.18.25 imgpart=UUID=6c0d3184-7851-46c3-919b-ed4c1d379708 ro bootpart=UUID=CC23-EE0D imgfile=volumio_current.sqsh splash quiet plymouth.ignore-serial-consoles vt.global_cursor_default=0 loglevel=1

Then reboot and make a log again.
I’m trying to see why it is waiting for the network to start, is it because of a timing issue? Service launched before the network is up?

Thanks - Gé

no problem,happy to help.

Log file with “loglevel=1”:
logs.volumio.org/volumio/Rifum82.html

uufff, something with ACPI/ Power Mgmt on eth0? Can ACPI be disabled in the BIOS somewhere?
Really, just a wild guess…

@gkkpch: Macs are EFI not BIOS: nothing can be setup manually at early-stage boot I’m afraid.

@britvic42: the problem you have is about failing external USB audio card, right? (seems many related errors in log Error: Alsa Mixer Error: Invalid card number.)
Do you get sound if your external USB-audio interface is NOT connected?
Network is working on ethernet, right? (though delayed onset probably because wifi is failing due to firmware not available - driver seems loaded even if firmware is not there!..)

Maybe you forgot to enable test mode in /dev page?
But maybe let’s get all things right on 2.201 before updating such test version.

I thouht there was a problem with networking, causing the boot delay.
So, are we looking for a network problem, usb audio issue or both?

Edit OK, for the networking issue please add “acpi=off” after “loglevel=” to the boot args in grub.cfg.
This might fix your problem.

[quote=“macmpi”]
@gkkpch: Macs are EFI not BIOS: nothing can be setup manually at early-stage boot I’m afraid.

@britvic42: the problem you have is about failing external USB audio card, right? (seems many related errors in log Error: Alsa Mixer Error: Invalid card number.)
Do you get sound if your external USB-audio interface is NOT connected?
Network is working on ethernet, right? (though delayed onset probably because wifi is failing due to firmware not available - driver seems loaded even if firmware is not there!..)

There’s no problem with the sound from the USB audio interface when it’s connected. This networking error occurs whether the USB audio interface is connected or not (it was disconnected when booting to get these log outputs). Also removing the wifi card from the laptop results in the exact same issue.

Ethernet networking is working correctly AFAIK as I’m able to browse my music library on my NAS, and the logs can be uploaded to the volumio website.

Edit OK, for the networking issue please add “acpi=off” after “loglevel=” to the boot args in grub.cfg.
This might fix your problem.
[/quote]
unfortunately no difference after this change.

Maybe you forgot to enable test mode in /dev page?
But maybe let’s get all things right on 2.201 before updating such test version.
[/quote]
Test mode needs to be enabled to upgrade? I didn’t need to enable test mode to upgrade previously.

So I enabled test mode which allowed me to update to 2.224. The networking boot issue remains. However the “check update” now does nothing, even when test mode is enabled.