Volumio 1.5 for Raspberry PI Feedback Thread

the same with raspberry pi and hifiberry

gg

same with another couple of combinations; Audiophonics DAC works with Hifiberry i2s driver.

V1.5-I2S-DACS.JPG

That is seriously useful!!! Thank you!! !

I’m here at work, testing a different kernel. Espect some updates soon!

BTW: Love you guys!

Hi Michelangelo

Please try the 3.12.26 kernel. Seems as though 24 bit was disabled after this release. Maybe you could include an option to swap kernel in the next update, perhaps help those who have Wolfson cards too… :slight_smile:

Great release tho, just waiting for hi res playback!

Anyone got hardware volume to work with Raspb + and IQaudio Pi-DAC+ mine is always at 100

There is a little bug for volume control. To activate it go to playback settings and hit apply, under the hardware mixer. Then you’ll have hw mixer

Yep, exactly what I’m doing. Seems that 3.12.26 kernel works for everything.

Ok, let’s fix it!
testing-needed-for-i2s-dacs-t1958.html

Is there any reason why this image wouldn’t work on a 256MB Raspberry Pi as I can’t get it to boot?

I tried to SSH into my other Pi which is a model B 256MB using the ethernet cable, but that didn’t work either. Or perhaps SSH is disabled by default?

I’ll have to rig it up to my TV to see what’s happening.

But in the meantime, any ideas?

I guess you mean model A? As far as I know, every model B is 512MB. Anyway, SSH is activated so it must be something else. Can you try to connect the HDMI port and see what happens?

I tried to run Volumio on QEMU using this tutorial: xecdesign.com/qemu-emulating-ras … -easy-way/ , where QEMU runs on 256MB, and I have boot issues, but can’t say at this point if this is the same problem or if completely unrelated. Here’s what I get:

Any idea?
Screenshot - 03112014.png

Hi Michelangelo,

which kernel version are you using on the newest Volumio?

Best regards
Daniel

Hi Jotak,

Thanks for the quick reply.

It is a model B with 256MB, it’s an early model.

I will connect up via HDMI, but it means a lot of unplugging, so I thought I’d ask here first!

I wonder if it’s anything to do with the kernel? Do you get the same problem on the emulator after downgrading the kernel as per Michelangelo’s other thread?

Actually the error I had on qemu was different. I was trying to boot on a unexisting partition. I thought Volumio kept raspbian’s partition tables, but they’re different. Booting Volumio 1.5 with qemu and 256MB works fine actually.

Hello,

This post is somehow “off topic” .

I noticed that rune-**** 0.3 was released on the 29.10 … (one day after volumio 1.5 …, I ll not comment on that), I’ve tested it on a separate SD card and yes, everything was more “out of the box working” (at least for the hi-res files and i2s dac).

Personally, I will stay with volume since the community is much more active and technically it’s based on raspbian and I’ve no idea how to interface sensors, LCD with ArchLinux.

So, yes, I’m asking the question does the ArchLinux is more “audiophile compatible” than Raspbian ?

what do you guys think ?

Hi-res files and i2s DACs are related to kernel. The one that Volumio uses is more recent, and apparently some commits made by XBMC guys broke 24 bit audio playback. A new version is coming soon with a previous kernel which will solve the issues…

Hi,

After upgrading to volumio 1.6 for Raspberry Pi,

I can not access my PI through linux MPD client (ex, gmpc, sonata, ario …)

It shows the error " can not communicate port 6600 … "

Please check it the bug.

Thank you for your effort and great job always.

Regards,

Jack

see here:
volumio-mpdroid-connection-fails-t1937.html

Hi,

I have also high res playback issues with my DAC based on a PCM1794a like the RPI-DAC.

I tried to downgrade the kernel as described on the following page but it doesn’t solved the issue:
testing-needed-for-i2s-dacs-t1958.html

Everything was working on the previous version : 1.4.
Otherwise standard file (16/44) are working perfectly like before.

Regards,

Alex

Hi everyone, after upgrading to volumio 1.5 I’ve had a lot of problems and actually I’m now forced to go back to 1.4 version since I don’t need the spotify feature, I’m using google play…

considering how many things are not working and giving issues I would still offer 1.4 as a stable release instead of 1.5

first of all, it doesn’t work out of the box with raspberry pi b+, luckily if you own older version of rpi you can do the update with it to get it working.
This includes running

sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install binutils sudo rpi-update

after this you’re good to go from old rpi to new one, but this should be already done in the image provided.

mpd has now problems connecting out of the box because of the configs, I couldn’t fix this by updating the settings from menus, so I can’t use my phone anymore to control.

volumino doesn’t play ogg webstreams anymore so that’s broken.

applying DAC now has some bugs, it might not work on the first try, second try and reboot worked

rpi didn’t recognize my usb wlan anymore after fresh install, I had to change the usb port to get it working, this might be whatever problem and is probably not be really volumio related, but it still might be.

there’s a lot of problems with repositories, you’re not able to update really anything since it might break something. Python versions are odd both on 1.4 and 1.5 which makes you unable to do custom scripts if you want to add gpio buttons or something else that you need to download some libraries for. Would be nice to have possibility to upgrade to latest versions anyway even without the need to add anything extra such as lcd display or additional buttons.

Hello,

I have a RPI-B+ with IQaudioDac+, I’ve installed volumio 1.51 and it works great (audio).

Now I would like to add my LCD and various sensors (temperature, IR) that I had before (RPI-B USB-i2 DAC / volumio 1.3) and by seeing the post below (from anacron) I am really wondering the following :

For setting up sensors, gpio I would need various packages
python-dev, python-setuptools, python-pip, rpi.gpio, git

• Does “apt-get update” is going to “destroy” volumio ?
  • Does “apt-get upgrade” is going to “destroy” volumio ?
  • Does the repositories links are fixed (jessie/wheezy) in volumio 1.51 ?

Here is the code I used for installing all the needed packages on the Volumio 1.3:
-do you think this will work on volumio 1.51 ?
-do you see anything strange or sth that can be removed ?

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get install python-dev
apt-get install python-setuptools
easy_install -U distribute
apt-get install python-pip
pip install rpi.gpio
apt-get install git
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
reboot

Thanks for your input or suggestions