Volumino 2 sound quality

Volumio Information

Volumio Version: 2.861
Hardware: pi4b 8Go
DAC: allo boss

Hi
First of all I would like to congrats all the development team of this volumio2 distribution:
The UI is really very good and the plug-in concept works very well too.
As this kind of software is made for music, I’ve made some distribution comparison : I’ve tested Moode, picoreplayer, Runaudio.
All with different UI. but ALL are strongly better in bass management and DSD reproduction.
I don’t know why but the sound produce with volumino is Loudy, then the sound is less detailed than the others. too much confused bass and the DSD tracks are played at a very very low sound level.
The hardware setup is the same for all the distribution. No Eq, no material or software volume setup…
I’m using a vintage high end audiophile system and I have to say that I’ve spent more than 20 years of my life as a manager of high end consumer electronics famous brand company. So I’ve some music and electronics backgrounds helping to make some benchmarking in the field.
Honestly, I think volumio will be the best distribution without these poor sound quality problems encountered.
Hoping a feedback of someone about this and ready to help if needed !
Cheers

2 Likes

Honestly it sounds like a configuration issue.

Under Playback Options > General Playback Options, check your DSD Auto Volume level and Volume Normalization options.

What do you mean by “strongly better in bass management” and “Loudy”? Check your Volume Options (also in Playback Options). Make sure you’re using Hardware Mixer Type.

Good luck and post back and let us know how you make out.

Hello,
I’ve made I can say all the coordination setup as possible, of course the one you suggest has also been tested.
I’ve also tested the different distribution using a different DAC HAT based on 9038Q2M, the sound “difference” is remaining the same : low sound level on DSD, heavy bass, less details, less relief in sound.
As regards the current popular distribution my panel order is new Rune, new Moode and last one Volumio.
It’s a pity fro me as I think the GUI is really better in Volumio.