VMWare?

Hi,

sorry to ask what might be an incredibly n00b question.

I am looking to spending a Christmas sabbatical working with Volumio. I am a developer, I love HiFi - what’s not to like.

I have checked the GitHub page and seen that VMWare is recommended.

As an OS X user, I use VMWare fusion, but am unable to work out how to use the provided VMWare virtual machine.

Can anybody advise?

Thanks

It’s OK

Managed to work it out - was able to load and upgrade the .vmx file…

Now to sort out the rest of the dev process :slight_smile:

You could also try the bèta 1 image for raspberry pi 2.

Thanks MobeyDuck

I was following the terse instructions on Github.

Is there somewhere else that explains the development flow in a bit more detail?

Sorry, I just really want to work on this, but am finding barriers beyond my current understanding. What do the other developers do?

In terms of progress I have got it to build the latest version on master (had to run an apt-get update before the libavahi-compat-libdnssd-dev library would install), but when I try to run it with

node index.js

I get the following error

info: Loading plugin “websocket”…
info: BOOT COMPLETED
Express server listening on port 3000
events.js:85
throw er; // Unhandled ‘error’ event
^
Error: spawn upmpdcli ENOENT
at exports._errnoException (util.js:746:11)
at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (child_process.js:1046:32)
at child_process.js:1137:20
at process._tickCallback (node.js:355:11)
at Function.Module.runMain (module.js:503:11)
at startup (node.js:129:16)
at node.js:814:3

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Does anyone have an answer to this? I am getting the same from a fresh download today (first use for me).

Unlike the original post I have this running on a Virtual Box setup. I have run all of the primarily setup commends and also tried it following doing a sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade.

Quite exited at the prospect of getting this up and running for some dev so any pointers would be greatly appreciated! :smiley:

My bad: I replaced the async launch of upmpdcli (with error handling) with a sync function (without error handling), so if upmpdcli is not found, the system simply crashes… I’ll correct this today…

great that works a treat now. Not sure whether it is intended but the www folder does not come down with any content on the git clone so i had to do this separately.

Many thanks looks great!

HI, maybe anyone can help me. I get the following error:

root@volumio:~/volumio# node index.js
info: -------------------------------------------
info: ----- Volumio2 ----
info: ----- System startup ----
info: Loading plugins from folder /root/volumio/app/plugins/
info: Loading plugins from folder /data/plugins/
info: Loading plugin “system”…
No id defined. Creating one
info: Loading plugin “i2s_dacs”…
info: Loading plugin “network”…
info: Loading plugin “services”…
info: Loading plugin “alsa_controller”…
info: CoreCommandRouter::volumioUpdateVolumeSettings
fs.js:568
function strWrapper(err, written) {
^
Error: ENOENT, no such file or directory ‘/volumio/app/plugins/audio_interfaces/alsa_controller/cards.json’
at Error (native)
at Object.fs.openSync (fs.js:502:18)
at Object.fs.readFileSync (fs.js:354:15)
at Object.readFileSync (/root/volumio/node_modules/fs-extra/node_modules/jsonfile/index.js:61:20)
at ControllerAlsa.setDefaultMixer (/root/volumio/app/plugins/audio_interfaces/alsa_controller/index.js:433:20)
at ControllerAlsa.onVolumioStart (/root/volumio/app/plugins/audio_interfaces/alsa_controller/index.js:51:8)
at PluginManager.loadPlugin (/root/volumio/app/pluginmanager.js:89:19)
at PluginManager.loadPlugins (/root/volumio/app/pluginmanager.js:154:10)
at new CoreCommandRouter (/root/volumio/app/index.js:39:21)
at Object. (/root/volumio/index.js:34:21)

Has anyone an idea?

Well what about sharing some information, version, Raspberry version, Odroid perhaps?
Concerning Volume 2, you would be a lot better off adding an issue to the issue tab in http://github.com/volumio/Volumio2
That will ensure that your issue is being logged and tracked.

I think the headline says all. We are talking about VMware here. Any hardware is absent.

But it´s a good idea to share the problem on GitHub.

Thnx, Tom

BTW … is there any existing Volumio 1.55 image for VMware?

I could not find any.

unfortunately there is none, we use WMware (or VirtualBox) only since starting Volumio 2

I had the same issue. You are in ~/volumio, but you should be in /volumio. It seems that some paths are hard-coded. After fixing this, check also my latest post here: rc2-hotfix-vmware-virtua-machine-t4431.html