Visual Studio Code > ssh > Volumio on PI 3 B

Volumio Information

Volumio Version: 2.773
Hardware: PI 3B
DAC: HiFi Berry Digi + Pro

I am trying to run VSC over a ssh connection to my Media Player to debug some Python code on it.
I can’t get a connection, it fails with the following ‘not founds’.
Can I just search out those files and install them or is there a more straight forward way?
Thanks.

/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.9' not found (required by /home/volumio/.vscode-server/bin/*********************
[10:44:59.287] > 
0321/node)
/home/volumio/.vscode-server/bin/***************************/node: 
/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.21' not found 
(required by /home/volumio/.vscode-server/bin/a5d1cc28bb5da32ec67e86cc50f84c67cc
690321/node)

How I proceed : I edit /etc/samba/SMB.conf to access what I want. Then I open the file from my computer in VSC. No need to install things on your device.

VSCode’s remote SSH requires you to install a copy of VS Code server on your device - not sure how easy that is all things considered (arm + jessie + …)

I simpler option, is to instead use a SFTP to sync your local code base to the device codebase. There are quite a few plugins for this.
I’m still an Atom fanboy, so remote-ftp is what I use to sync a local project with files on the remote device, and ftp-remote-edit to directly edit files on remote devices. I’m sure you’ll find similar ones for VS Code :slight_smile:

Thanks both. I am a novice at all this so I have been trying to follow on-line guides, it can be done, however they are for ‘standard’ PIs not ones with Volumio.
Altering smb.conf sounds like something I could do. Can I add another folder to the [Internal Storage] path line or do I have to add a complete section?
The python code I want to debug is in /usr/local/Djuke.

instead of /data/INTERNAL you could set / . But be careful, you’ll access to the whole system :wink:

Thanks again. Nervous about using / as I know only a little of what I am doing!
Digging around on the web it seems the files belong to Docker so I am going to have a go at updating them to see if that satisfies VSC.
I might be back! Did Arnie say that?

Nope I was wrong, I think they are part of a C++ library that comes with the Raspbian OS.
Not sure if I can update this to Buster without destroying my Volumio setup. More digging around required.

I use the bitvise ssh client: https://www.bitvise.com/ssh-client-download

With this client you can connect to your pi (like putty) and you can directly edit files (even with VSX) or open a terminal. Worked for my pi projects easier than smb config.

AxLED

Looks like Buster related files will have to wait until Volumio gets its update to Buster, hopefully that won’t be too far away.
I have no problem with PuTTY, Notepad++ and WinSCP for most of the tinkering I do, it was the debugging in VSC I was keen to learn and use. If I have understood its blurb it would allow me to step through Python code, set breakpoints and find where the code needs adjusting.
Thanks for all the comments

Heads up - I just tested VS Code’s Remote SSH on the buster image and it seems to have recent enough GLIB versions to work :slight_smile:

Thanks for the update.
I am waiting for the release of the buster version of Volumio before I attempt tinkering again. I had to do a completely new install to correct the corruption I created last time!