V1.5 and Raspberry PI B+ and IQaudio PDAC+ +++ FIXED+++!

SEE BELOW ( my last reply)

HI,

After having little success with V1.41, ( only worked at 44.1 Khz). I eagerly d/l’d V1.5 this morning, especially since the change notice specifically states PI B+ and PiDac plus are supported.

WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT!

1. Using the web setup, the PI-DAC+ driver does not get loaded, (only alsa devices are PI internal).

Aplay -l also shows no IQaudio device.

DOES V1.5 SUPPORT THE ABOVE COMBINATION OF DEVICES?

Please will you tell me how to get the above combination working properly!

many thanks

Patrick

UPDATE

Hi,

Looking at the standard V1.5 install, it uses kernel 3.12.29+

I installed bin-utils and did a firmware upgrade (Rpi-update)

This installed kernel 3.12.31+, onto V1.5

Aplay -l now shows the IQaudio dac, but…

This does work at 44.1KHZ, BUT FAILS SAME AS BEFORE (V1.41Pi) with any higher speed files!

Please, please can someone on the Volumio staff fix this problem , or at least take the nonsense out of the change list that says Volumio supports the Pi-DAC+ in V1.5! It DOESN’T !

regards

Patrick

Hello. Maybe you can provide more info on your setup and everything that you have updated. I have been using Volumio 1.41 with great success on a Raspberry Pi B+ and the IQaudio Pi-Dac+. All bitrates function and play superbly up to 24/192. I’ll try 1.5 when I get home, but if you found issues on 1.41 while everything on my end works fine it seems to point to another issue. What is your music stored on? Maybe it’s an issue with slow access to that storage? I use a 3tb WD hard drive connected to the pi directly with USB.

You can also try emailing IQaudio as they always respond quickly whenever I have asked questions.

I had the same issue you’re having. Instead of upgrading, I downgraded to an older version(3.12.26) and works fine.

sudo rpi-update e38850519c56b835dbd1c81e04d9307e154c36ed

Hi

I am getting very tired of people telling me that their V1.41 worked, or that I need to downgrade to 3.12.26 to make it work.

I don’t care about them. I read on this website in the release notes that the Rpib plus and the Pi dac plus are supported by Volumio V1.5

TO ME THAT MEANS WHEN I INSTALL VOLUMIO V1.5 IT SHOULD WORK “OUT OF THE BOX”

Before statements like this are written, surely Someone testedi it??

I understand from Gordon that. some bad changes were made to Raspbian to get a media player working. these changes screwed 24 bit audio up as well, the changes were supposed to have been backed out, but I cannot find any paper trail for this. I think the rpi-update is still installing a bad kernel or audio driver.

Patrick

This is a free and open source project, sometimes something is not working for everybody.(and with all the different dacs we can´t test everything)
The forum was created for situations like this…
If you have had no problems with 1.41 you should switch back to this version.

EDIT: plz read this thread: http://volumio.org/forum/tipps-guidlines-get-faster-help-t1569.html and this one: http://volumio.org/forum/topic3.html

I have a rpiB+ and hifiberry dac+. I never managed to get 1.41 to work either.
I excitedly downloaded this new version yesterday only to be very dissapointed that it didn’t really work.
I have solved the problem now… coughruneaudio0.3betacough. works perfectly for me.

Please guys let’s try to do something useful. Go to this thread:
volumio-for-raspberry-feedback-thread-t1933-20.html#p8178

And report:
1- Is your i2s DAC working?
2- Are you on Raspberry PI B or B+?
3- Report which i2s DAC you use
4- Report which bitrates and bitdepths (16/24 ecc) works and which doesn’t

If I can collect enough data, you can expect a fix in 2 days (without reflashing). Whining, speculating, writing in capital letters, sarcasm and all this stuff doesn’t help.

Before being so disappointed. Did you even tried rebooting? For me it works perfectly.

@michelangelo

What a condescending statement to write ;-

““Before being so disappointed. Did you even tried rebooting? For me it works perfectly.””

Of course I rebooted! ( In fact after setting up the system using the Volumio web GUI, Volumio reboots itself anyway!)

I am coming to the conclusion that you have a hybrid installation on your test rig, that does not reflect real world situations.

What do you mean for me it works perfectly? — expand please!

What happens if you take a fresh micro SD card and down load the advertised V1.5 from the DL URL ???

What kernel version do you get?

Does Volumio “see” the Pi-DAC Plus?

What is the kernel version of the distribution that you find is working?

Is that based on a Raspberry Pi B Plus AND a QI-Audio PI-DAC PLUS?

Re your comment:-

And report:
1- Is your i2s DAC working?
2- Are you on Raspberry PI B or B+?
3- Report which i2s DAC you use
4- Report which bitrates and bitdepths (16/24 ecc) works and which doesn’t

If I can collect enough data, you can expect a fix in 2 days (without reflashing). Whining, speculating, writing in capital letters, sarcasm and all this stuff doesn’t help.

I am annoyed, because I tried to get my syatem working with V1.41 , it failed miserably, and I appealed for help here and received no help from you at all!

I then see you posted V1.5 is available and the change notice states that RPI B+ and Pi-Dac plus is supported.

I then find it still doesn’t work, so you must realise that my expectation of a working product have been spoilt again.

I have already posted all the relevant information in my first and second posts above, please read and try to understand what I said.

But to make it absolutely clear:-

The Pi B plus and the Pi-dac plus work fine (except on Volumio)

After downloading Volumio version V1.5 from your web site, and running it, Volumio does not “find” the Pi-DAC Plus.

In fact, connecting to the Pi with SSH and running aplay -l only shows PI internal audio.

Uname -r on the down loaded Volumio V 1.5 shows kernel V 3.12.29+

Running rpi-update changes the kernel version to 3.12.31+ After which, Volumio “sees” the Pi-DAC plus. It runs on 44.1 Khz but works very badly on higher bit rates, Sounds like it is playing at three times proper speed.

So, I cannot understand how you can claim that Version V1.5 supports the RPI B+ and Pi-DAC plus and it is working on your setup!

regards

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

I also have a Pi B+ and Pi DAC+ and yesterday I downloaded Volumio 1.5. I did all the configuration via the GUI and so far I have it working ok. I selected IQaudIO Pi-DAC as the I2S driver in the Settings page, hit Apply and then rebooted. Once the system was back up I found that the Audio Output on the MPD Configuration (Playback in the Menu) page had defaulted to sndrpiiqaudioda. At this point I tried to play a 24/96 FLAC file but the output was like 3 times faster than normal. I then enabled Volume normalization on the MPD Configuration page and this calmed things down and playback resumed at normal speed. I also found that in 1.5 I am able to run on Wi-Fi only with the eth0 interface disconnected. I was never able to do this in 1.4.1.

FYI, additional details below:

root@volumio:~# uname -a
Linux volumio 3.12.29+ #714 PREEMPT Wed Oct 1 23:11:38 BST 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux
root@volumio:~# aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: sndrpiiqaudioda [snd_rpi_iqaudio_dac], device 0: IQaudIO DAC HiFi pcm512x-hifi-0 []
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

I’m happy to give you any other details which might be of use to you.

Regards,

Bob

Hello RawDevice,

Thanks for sharing your experience. happy to see that b+ / iqaudio dac+ apparently works with volumio 1.5

1. Could you explain a bit more what do you mean by “Volume normalization on the MPD Configuration page” ?

2. Does the hardware volume controll works with volumio 1.5?

F

Ok, I found the time to investigate the issue. IqAudio Pi-DAC Plus works. This is the right procedure to get it working from a fresh install:

1- Once WebUi pops up, let’s wait another 30 seconds to ensure every part of the system is properly loaded
2- Go to System Settings, choose IQaudio Pi-Dac from the dropdown menu, then hit apply.
3- Reboot
4- When everything has booted now you’ll be able to hear the startup sound
5- If you wish to enable hardware volume, just go to playback settings. And just hit apply under hardware mixer. I need to make this automatic.

There is currently an issue with 3.12.19 kernel, which is the one that ensure best compatibility but 24 bit playback is broken. I’m working hard to find a solution for this. Thanks for the feedback so far!

Hi Arginine,

Volume normalization can be found under the General music daemon options on the MPD Configuration page. You can get to this page by clicking on Menu and then selecting Playback. By default, volume normalization is set to “no”. I found that if I play high res music files such as 24/96 FLACs then the audio output is distorted and sounds like it is playing way too fast. If I set Volume normalization to “yes” then the output becomes ok.

I have not tried the hardware volume control on the Pi DAC+.

Regards,

Bob

This happens beacause with volume normalization there’s a resampling going on, so the 24 bits bug of the kernel is avoided. You can achieve the same with resampling option. You can consider this a temporaray fix until I release the update

@ michelangelo

Hi,

I am very pleased to read that you agree that V1.5 doesn’t work properly with the PI B+ and Pi-Dac+!

I prefer to use Deb distros over anything else, but I just saw that Rune Audio have released their latest (v0.3 beta)

I D/l’d it and booted up, did the config from their web control, and LO

IT PLAYS ALL SPEEDS, ( inc 192khz), “STRAIGHT FROM THE BOX” PERFECTLY. !!!

I noticed that Rune Audio (that works perfectly at all bit rates), uses KERNEL VERSION 3.12.26.1 !!!

As one of the responders earlier in this thread also tried to point out to me!

So it obviously can be done. I’ll come back when you have it fixed and I’ll give Volumio another go.

regards

Patrick

Hi,

I thought I would give Volumio the benefit of the doubt.

I took a new micro SD card, and copied Volumio V1.5pI to it.

Booted up, used Volumio URL, preformed all setups, REBOOTED

Still no IQAudio DAC shown by aplay -l

Looked at reply from Kwatch (above):-

[code] had the same issue you’re having. Instead of upgrading, I downgraded to an older version(3.12.26) and works fine.

sudo rpi-update e38850519c56b835dbd1c81e04d9307e154c36ed

Random avatar
kwatch
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

[/code]

DId the rpi-upate to 3.12.26, REBOOTED did all the set ups again, REBOOTED

NOW

Volumio NOW works properly, plays flac files up to 192Khz perfectly!

cheers

Patrick

Ok, let’s fix it!
testing-needed-for-i2s-dacs-t1958.html