Using WPA Enterprise Wifi

Hi,

I just picked up a RPi 3 and loaded Volumio onto an SD to use with my work setup. The installation worked fine, and I can access Volumio via Hotspot. I tested my DAC and it works great. However, my work uses WPA Enterprise (AES encryption) and PEAP authentication. Basically, a locked network that requires specific username and password. It isn’t possible to add this information when in the Hotspot.

What should I do? I’m not great at the coding/more advanced stuff, but willing to explore if there is a more complicated solution. Or is there a possibility that Enterprise support might be added?

Assuming that you’re wanting to connect to your work’s network, then I think that this is just a case of getting your:

/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

configuration correct. Have a Google for “raspbian WPA enterprise AES PEAP.”

So here’s where my noobness comes in. I don’t have a monitor or keyboard attached to the Pi. Can I configure this on the SD card on a Mac or PC?

You can use SSH:

code.tutsplus.com/tutorials/ssh … -net-25138

So I managed to get in via SSH and edit the wpa_supplicant.conf

Still no luck. I actually think it’s entirely on the complexity of the network. I downloaded the certificate that I needed, and added it to the wpa_supplicant. But I guess I don’t really have any way of knowing this works other than trying to connect via the Web UI, which I’m so far unsuccessful with.

Any other ideas as to how to check whether wifi is working? Obviously when I have the ethernet cable in I can get internet, but there’s no drop near my desk, so keeping it plugged into ethernet is not going to work for me.

When you’re logged in by ssh you can use the commands ‘ifconfig’ and ‘iwconfig’ (they might need prefixing with ‘sudo’) to find out assigned IP address and wifi network information.

Can you also post your wpa_supplicant.conf file (obviously without sensitive details).?

Okay, so plugged the Pi into Ethernet a ways from my desk. Used SSH.

WPA supplicant:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
network={
scan_ssid=1
ssid=“NETWORKNAME”
key_mgmt=WPA-EAP
pairwise=CCMP
auth_alg=OPEN
eap=PEAP
identity=“username”
password=“password”
ca_cert="/etc/certs/thawte_Primary_Root_CA.pem"
phase1=“peapver=0”
phase2=“auth=MSCHAPV2”
priority=1
}

(I downloaded the certificate as required in my system and placed it into the folder as appropriate)

When I use sudo ifconfig:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr b8:27:eb:04:0b:1b
inet addr:10.47.2.104 Bcast:10.47.2.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:3194 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:2707 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:326540 (318.8 KiB) TX bytes:2048976 (1.9 MiB)

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:65536 Metric:1
RX packets:1083 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:1083 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1
RX bytes:97842 (95.5 KiB) TX bytes:97842 (95.5 KiB)

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr b8:27:eb:51:5e:4e
inet addr:192.168.211.1 Bcast:192.168.211.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:1762 errors:0 dropped:800 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:105 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:404136 (394.6 KiB) TX bytes:23830 (23.2 KiB)

When I use sudo iwconfig

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bgn Mode:Master Tx-Power=31 dBm
Retry short limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Power Management:off

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

Any thoughts as to what I’m missing?

Okay, so now I seem to be successful in getting onto Wifi, and can open up the Volumio UI in my browser. Now I have a new issue. I have connected Spotify, and even though I hit the play button, it just doesn’t play. I have no idea if this is again a local issue due to the wifi (I can usually play Spotify on the wifi on my computer or phone). Haven’t attached any music via USB to see if it might be another issue, but will do so later today.