Using Wifi with Static IP Address

Hi All,

I’m just getting used to Volumio and want to use the wifi card with a static IP Address, there doesnt appear to be a way of doing this in the web gui so I edited the file manually.

When I had a look at the web gui it said the file had been configured manually and only gave me an option to edit the actual file, again it seemed to be fine but on rebooting the network didnt come up with the static address, fortunately the lan interface was able to get a dhcp address so I could still connect.

When I looked at the interfaces file there were lots of ^M characters so it seems that the editor in volumio converts the file to DOS type format, also, I cant get a connection at all if there is no lan connection. I’m not sure if the ^M characters caused any network connectivity issues but they were easy enough to get rid of.

Is there a way of configuring the network to allow the wifi interface to work with a Static IP, and have the lan use a dhcp address (in case there is a problem with Wifi I can move the box and still connect) using the web gui?

My interfaces file looks like this;

[code]auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet static
wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
address 192.168.254.6
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.254.254
nameserver 194.168.4.100
nameserver 194.168.8.100[/code]
BTW, I’m a noob when it comes to Debian linux.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Jools

Hi Jools,

i am also noob - so maybe there is a better way.

I edited the etc/network/interfaces with ssh (connected with LAN)

works great with EDIMAX EW-7811UN and Volumio beta 1

[code]auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto wlan0
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet static
address 192.168.137.2
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.137.1
wpa-ap-scan 1
wpa-scan-ssid 1
wpa-ssid “WLAN-SSID”