Using python 3 on Raspberry Pi 4

See, i only have Volumio on my Raspberry Pi 4.
One, can i install Python on the Raspberry Pi 4
as are these the right steps on installing it.

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install -y build-essential tk-dev libncurses5-dev libncursesw5-dev libreadline6-dev libdb5.3-dev libgdbm-dev libsqlite3-dev libssl-dev libbz2-dev libexpat1-dev liblzma-dev zlib1g-dev libffi-dev tar wget vim

wget https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.8.0/Python-3.8.0.tgz

sudo tar zxf Python-3.8.0.tgz

cd Python-3.8.0

sudo ./configure --enable-optimizations

sudo make -j 4

sudo make altinstall

python3.8 -V

echo "alias python=/usr/local/bin/python3.8" >> ~/.bashrc 

source ~/.bashrc

Just to clarify

1. It shouldn’t matter what pi you are on, on Volumio at least.
  2. Are you looking specifically for python 3? Python 2 is already shipped with Volumio, just try python --version to confirm.

If you can survive with Python 3.4, you should be able to directly install it with apt install python3

The steps you have outlined above builds python from source, and symlinks the resulting binary to python3.8

PS: I wouldn’t recommend blindly copy pasting commands from the internet into your terminal, take some time to read up what each command does…

How do i install lirc to install the IR receiver.
I get that the power from the ir receiver VS1883B connects to the 3v3 pin on the GPIO pin and the ground to the ground pin but what about the S out on the IR receiver what GPIO that goes to. On that i hear GPIO18 GPIO RX or TX

Not sure I follow - your post (and the code you pasted in) is about using Python on the pi4, but you seem to be talking about a Infrared receiver now?
Please try the IR receiver plug-in thread for support on that…