Using HDMI instead of DSI (Raspberry, Volumio V2)

Hi,

thanks for this really nice project. It works out of the box.

Im trying to get a small display to work with V2.0. I have two displays:
PiTFT3.5 Quite small but it would be the best solution. But i wasnt able to update Volumio with the given tutorial by Adafruit
learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-pit … sy-install
as it seems to kill the kernel

Waveshare 5" HDMI. Would be he second best solution. It works an i see the console in 800x480 resolution. Also the touchscreen works if i do startx.
So, how could a map the DSI Output to HDMI? I havent found where i could do this?

There is no install script which install Volumio on top of a working Raspbian?

Thanks

Use the touchscreen plugin:
settings -> plugins -> miscellanea -> touchscreen plugin .

Install will take 10 to 15 minutes

Let me know how it goes

1 Like

Hi,

thanks for your reply.
After trying this:
raspberry-audiophile-with-volumio-and-touchscreen-t4834.html
im focusing on using the 5" HDMI Display as the 3.5" Display probably is too small. But i still want to figure out things

Some more facts: Im using a RPi3 with the Waveshare 5" Display waveshare.com/wiki/5inch_HDMI_LCD
I installed the touchscreen Plugin, but i still see on the LCD just the console output. I believe Chromium is started on the DSI screen which isnt attached. So i was looking for an entry to map the output to HDMI (or fb0?)

When I started “startx” using a ssh connection, the HDMI screen went black and a mouse pointer appeared. The touchscreen also works. So still, is the output just on the wrong screen?

What i did to install the screen… just updated the config.txt with
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=1
hdmi_mode=87
hdmi_cvt 800 480 60 6 0 0 0
dtoverlay=ads7846,cs=1,penirq=25,penirq_pull=2,speed=50000,keep_vref_on=0,swapxy=0,pmax=255,xohms=150,xmin=200,xmax=3900,ymin=200,ymax=3900

Thanks

Hi,

after a few weeks I tried Volumio 2 again. And, it works out of the box. Maybe it was a bad installation of the plugin why I had an black screen. Sorry for confusion.

I´m using a Waveshare 5" HDMI Display with a XPT2046 Touchscreen.

I had to add for the screen http://www.waveshare.com/wiki/5inch_HDMI_LCD_(B)

hdmi_group=2 hdmi_mode=1 hdmi_mode=87 hdmi_cvt 800 480 60 6 0 0 0
and https://github.com/notro/fbtft/wiki/Touchpanel

dtparam=spi=on dtoverlay=ads7846,penirq=25,speed=10000,penirq_pull=2,xohms=150
for the Touchscreen in the config.txt, but also a
sudo modprobe ads7846 (compatible to XPT2046)

I used sudo evtest to get the calibration values and added them to /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf

Section "InputClass" Identifier "evdev touchscreen catchall" MatchIsTouchscreen "on" MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*" Driver "evdev" Option "Calibration" "100 3950 279 3850" EndSection

But a few emaining problems

• sometimes my cursors starts to jump weird. Dont know if its some electrical disturbance?
  • the right scroll bar is very small, is there a way to increase width? Some people changed the custom.css of Chromium, but it seems like this isnt available anymore. A bad workaround was to lower Xmax of the touchscreen to be able to reach the scrollbar
  • How can i remove the mouse cursor? This doenst work https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=52759&p=405215

Thanks!!! this work for my waveshare 5" gpio screen touch calibration.

Our setup is this same, Waveshare 5 + RPI 3, the article you wrote is exactly where I am at, get the display works over HDMI but get lost on the process you wrote after, help need!

Not sure what to do by the line with github.com/notro/fbtft/wiki/Touchpanel

where does dtparam=spi=on those two line append to which file?

sudo modprobe ads7846 is just a command line right?

and how to get sudo evtest?

Hi, sorry could you clarify how you got it working as when i follow the instructions from waveshares website i just get a kernal panic